• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Top 20 Wolves Goals: 1990s (1989/90-1998/99)

KiwiWolf61

Reaction score
As mentioned in the Wolves History thread, I’ve been thinking about creating a compilation video of the best 20 Wolves goals for each decade - as selected by The Wolves Forum - to post on The Wolves Archive.

Despite the ups and downs of Wolves over the last 30+ years (and this season certainly belongs in the downs) we have scored quite a lot of tremendous goals.

So starting with the 1990s (seasons 1989/90 to 1998/99) TWF members can select their favourite goals for the 10 seasons. It can be 1 or can be 20 odd the choice is up to you - just post them here.

Wolves played 540 competitive games in the 1990s over 10 seasons (1989/90 - 1998/99), and The Wolves Archive has 500 of those games.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what we have.

Some of my favourites are:
  • Steve Bull's Messi like sublime chip at Norwich in Feb'96.
  • Paul Simpson's outrageous long-range effort against Swindon Town in Oct'97.
  • Kevin Muscat's thunderbolt against Ipswich Town in Dec'98.

Venus v Coventry (LC) savage strike
Ferguson v Coventry (LC) waltzed through a couple of challenges and popped it beautifully into the top corner.
Fernando Gomez v Stockport(?)

I'll have 10 :)

1. Steve Bull vs Birmingham (H), 1996
2. Steve Bull (4th) vs Newcastle (A), 1990
3. David Kelly vs Leicester (H), 1995
4. Carl Robinson vs Tranmere (H), 1997
5. Don Goodman vs Leeds (A), 1998
6. Dougie Freedman vs Wimbledon (H), 1998
7. Robbie Keane (2nd) vs Norwich (A), 1997
8. Steve Bull vs Southend (H), 1994
9. Carl Robinson (2nd) vs Birmingham (H), 1998
10. Iwan Roberts (3rd) vs West Brom (A), 1996

Carl Robinson v Bradford (overshadowed by Bulls 300th)
Don Goodman v Leeds FA Cup QF.
Robbie Dennison v Man City 3-0

Robbie Dennison v Man City 3-0
That's one that @Elephant Pyjamas and I have puzzled over for a while now.

He's wearing 3, it was that very brief period where he filled in at LWB for us for a cameo sign off....but he picks up the ball deep on the right and cuts in from there. And it's all in open play too, it's not like we broke away off a Man City corner.

We can't have played him at RWB can we, surely?! I don't remember that!

If it's not too indulgent can I have another 10?

11. Mark Walters vs Southend (H), 1994
12. Mark Venus vs Coventry (H), 1995
13. Steve Bull vs Stoke (A), 1994
14. Dougie Freedman vs Swindon (H), 1997
15. Lee Naylor vs Birmingham (H), 1998
16. Steve Bull vs Bury (H), 1998
17. Paul Simpson vs Man City (H), 1998
18. Robbie Keane vs Middlesbrough (H), 1997
19. Neil Emblen vs Sheff Utd (H), 1995
20. Paul Birch vs Nottm Forest (H), 1994

Last edited:

He's wearing 3, it was that very brief period where he filled in at LWB for us for a cameo sign off....but he picks up the ball deep on the right and cuts in from there. And it's all in open play too, it's not like we broke away off a Man City corner.

We did in that game. Well, sort of - after the first few minutes anyway.

Thommo wore 2 but played mostly at LWB, whilst Dennison wore 3 and played mostly at RWB.

We did in that game. Well, sort of - after the first few minutes anyway.

Thommo wore 2 but played mostly at LWB, whilst Dennison wore 3 and played mostly at RWB.
I was there (and went to see the Lightning Seeds at the Civic afterwards, so a top day) but I genuinely would never ever have said he played at RWB!

We managed to lose at home to an appalling Oldham team in the next one at Molineux. Appropriately Ian Ormondroyd scored and he is one of the worst footballers I have ever seen.

Look at him FFS. You can't play football.

ian-ormondroyd-oldham-athletic-fc-16-october-1996-HNRBYP.jpg

Goodman's leap for the 1st goal was pretty impressive as well.

Top goal by Simon Osborn.

Thanks for the input so far . . . every couple of days I'll post a list of all the nominees and after a week/10 days it will be finalised (ie the nominations) and then everyone can determine from the list what are the best 20 goals.

A welcome distraction from the current mess/disappointment/frustration/anger with the club/team/manager/ownership.

Last edited:

I’ve argued before with you about that one. Other highlights show him on the right too.

Don was incredible in the air. Him and Fletcher (I'm too young for Dougan and Gray) are the best I've seen for that.
Pretty well spot on.

For the oldies, the Doog was imperious in the air and he was 6ft 3in (very TALL) he could score as well as set up goals for John Richards.

Gray was absolutely fearless, almost reckless.

Goodman's leap was amazing - there's a few goals he scores with it, and, Fletcher, definitely for this century.

Back