• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Things that make you SAD thread.

We have a small green open space at the bottom of the town with a stream running through it - currently a mass of daffodils & on a sunny day nice to walk through

The sad part is the signs in there asking you to report anyone stealing the plants (clearly has happened or they would not have needed to put them there) - if you want flowers they are not difficult to grow (got a load coming up in the front garden) or a bunch from the supermarket are a minimal cost.The mentality of some never fails to amaze me.

Baffles me why people bother with small time thievery these days, its got to be less effort to get more cash by taking a temp job and you don't run the risk of being chucked in the chokey

Baffles me why people bother with small time thievery these days, its got to be less effort to get more cash by taking a temp job and you don't run the risk of being chucked in the chokey

All of that is done by volunteers as the local Council hasn't got enough funds to do more than minimal maintenance

All of that is done by volunteers as the local Council hasn't got enough funds to do more than minimal maintenance

That's because funding at council levels has been decimated since 2010 through choice. There's money available if it's needed such as bribing 10 lunatics in Northern Ireland, preparing for an event that under no circumstances should happen, or employing hapless, clueless buffoons wasting money hand over fist in ministerial government positions. Fair play to those doing the work but there should really be no need as these are all things that local government should be funded to do.

One year today since I went back to Hamburg. Still miss the place so much. Will definitely be making a trip back later in the year if funds allow.

Might have to join you in that trip one time, need to renew the old passport first though!

I am the world's greatest Hamburg tour guide, I can confidently say that.

If we go at the right time then you may see some red hot Regionalliga Nord action.

Maybe.

I thought St Pauli had progressed beyond there and were Bundesliga 2 these days!!

St Pauli are good at the moment which is troubling.

But Eintracht Norderstedt or Altona 93 are where the action's at. If you go to the former then you get the delight of crossing a state line as well.

St Pauli are good at the moment which is troubling.

But Eintracht Norderstedt or Altona 93 are where the action's at. If you go to the former then you get the delight of crossing a state line as well.

Actually Altona went down last season! So they are Oberliga Hamburg now. That really is niche.

If I join you on this little trip then I am coming back with a St Pauli shirt. That's the only rule.

Club shop is good now (in fact the whole ground is nice now, loads of work done since I lived there).

We had three days there and I didn't get near doing everything I wanted to. It's my city.

Over 100 employees at the Wedgwood factory in Barlaston are set to loose their jobs.
We have a nice collection of jasperware and dinner ware and always visited the museum when we lived in the UK. Sad that the value of jobs and the expertise of potters will slowly fade away

Over 100 employees at the Wedgwood factory in Barlaston are set to loose their jobs.
We have a nice collection of jasperware and dinner ware and always visited the museum when we lived in the UK. Sad that the value of jobs and the expertise of potters will slowly fade away

The potteries trades aren't fading away. Much like the car industry aren't metal bashing anymore the skills of potters are more niche and with increased automation there are some very strong potteries companies out there (Wade Ceramics, Steelite and Portmeirion) which provide huge amounts to the restaurant and hotel trades.

And then there's the darling of the middle classes in Emma Bridgwater who are still based in Stoke too.

Wedgwood are only relevant as a footnote in history.

Lost a cousin to cancer over the weekend at the age of just 34. She'd battled free of it's grip on three separate occasions in the last twenty years yet was the most remarkably positive human being you'd ever have the fortune to meet. It puts everything into perspective really.

That's terrible news Nando. Sincere condolences to your family.

So sorry to hear that Nando. Thoughts with you and your family.

Back