• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with that Mark. I like Dom, and I hope he has a good career but in this system and way of playing, he does not fit. Doherty is comfortable on the ball and can combine with the centre midfielder and inside forward well, I don't see Iorfa having that in him. He's a good, strong defender who is very good 1v1 defensively but has clearly had a dip in form and hasn't quite recovered from it.

I think all he'll ever be capable of is playing right back in very defensive teams, he'll have the odd burst forward but never really be able to produce anything when he gets there and he's far too weak aerially to be trusted centrally.

I don't think the improvement in Doherty and Coady is quite what is often made out, I think what Nuno has done more so than anything else is identify what the players are actually most capable of and played them in positions that highlight their strengths whilst providing cover for their weaknesses.

Doherty has always been capable with the ball, never been able to defend, both still true now but he plays a position that shifts the balance of his workload more in favour of those traits than when he was at fullback, the only aspects he seems to have truly improved on have been his fitness and attitude rather than any football specific skills. I think similar is true of Coady, he always had the raking long passes in his locker but his touch wasn't great and he was a bit of an immobile lump in the middle of the park so he rarely got chance to display that range of passing, now he's playing a lot deeper he's got more time and space to do that, though obviously he's had to get to grips with the tactical/positional aspects of moving deeper but he'd have had similar adaptation to make even if still playing central midfield such is the difference between the system now and what had gone before.

I just don't see what great abilities Iorfa has to be displayed, he doesn't defend particularly well nor does he use the ball particularly well, positionally he's pretty steady so he wouldn't be all at sea there but generally he's just a very average footballer who happens to be tall and quick, his physical ability far outshines his footballing ability.

Good post, and one that i agree with. I've never really understand the clamour for Iorfa, he started fairly well, but it has been a very long time since he has had a good game in a Wolves shirt now.

However, if we end the month with no cover for Doc i would bring him back (if we can).

We can bring him back but the fact we haven't yet would suggest that we have someone lined up or Graham is now seen as the back up.

Iorfa is more of a cut inside and lay it off, play a one two, or a low cut back. Tell him not to bother crossing and I think he'd be ok. But no better than Doherty.

If we don't sign anyone, I'd happily have him back just to provide cover.

We can bring him back but the fact we haven't yet would suggest that we have someone lined up or Graham is now seen as the back up.

Or he doesn't want to play for us anymore and hence the reason he went out on loan in the first place....

Good post, and one that i agree with. I've never really understand the clamour for Iorfa, he started fairly well, but it has been a very long time since he has had a good game in a Wolves shirt now.

However, if we end the month with no cover for Doc i would bring him back (if we can).

He was very good against Stoke last year in the FA cup but I agree he doesn't do it consistently enough. I don't think he's good enough to play wing back either but as the right sided centre back I think he could be very good. Sadly with Bennett playing well he doesn't deserve the chance.

Or he doesn't want to play for us anymore and hence the reason he went out on loan in the first place....

He has an interview in the E&S today where he says he wants to stay with us but who knows

I really think Graham should be able to do a job at rwb, especially if as in most games he won’t have much defending to do. His delivery and skill to beat a man could be the difference in a game where we struggle to break a team down.

I really think Graham should be able to do a job at rwb, especially if as in most games he won’t have much defending to do. His delivery and skill to beat a man could be the difference in a game where we struggle to break a team down.

I don't understand this thinking. Graham's best position is on the left and he only played well on the left cutting in on his right, at Villa this was his best position too and when he did play on the right it was in an advanced wing role. What makes people think he could do a job in a position he's hardly ever played.

What makes people think he could do a job in a position he's hardly ever played.

Because Nuno is the one who has tried him there, so if he thinks there is a chance it could work then it could work

Because Nuno is the one who has tried him there, so if he thinks there is a chance it could work then it could work

Only twice in the EFL cup games before shipping him out on loan.

Only twice in the EFL cup games before shipping him out on loan.

but then we call him back despite the fact we can't send him back out on loan to anyone, if we had no plans for him we would have left him to play U23 games at Flum for the rest of the season. It isn't a mad jump to think that Nuno has him back as an option to cover a couple of positions and one of them is RWB.

but then we call him back despite the fact we can't send him back out on loan to anyone, if we had no plans for him we would have left him to play U23 games at Flum for the rest of the season. It isn't a mad jump to think that Nuno has him back as an option to cover a couple of positions and one of them is RWB.

He didn't play for Flum at RWB did he?

I know we've called him back but to cover a position he's never really played doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure Nuno knows what he's doing and I wouldn't be surprised if a RWB rocked up as a new signing in the next few days.

He didn't play for Flum at RWB did he?

I know we've called him back but to cover a position he's never really played doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure Nuno knows what he's doing and I wouldn't be surprised if a RWB rocked up as a new signing in the next few days.

He played about 5 mins for Flum and I am guessing all out wide as a normal winger. So he has probably played more at RWB for us than out wide for Flum...

I hope we do sign someone but if we don't the following is hoped from Wolves

1) Doherty is actually a robot and won't break and will be fine until May 6th
2) German Phil has been rebooted and installed with new ankles
3) Graham is seen as the cover
4) We will recall Dom for the cover
5) FUCK IT WE ARE PLAYING CAV THERE FOR THE LOLZ

Cav outside of Costa on one flank and Vinagre outside of Jota on the other with Bonatini or Mir up top. I like it:

Ruddy

Bennett--Coady--Boly

Saiss--Neves

Cav--Costa--Leo--Jota--Vinagre​

3-2-5

Cav outside of Costa on one flank and Vinagre outside of Jota on the other with Bonatini or Mir up top. I like it:

Ruddy

Bennett--Coady--Boly

Saiss--Neves

Cav--Costa--Leo--Jota--Vinagre​

3-2-5

00E3C61200000190-0-image-m-5_1462465940370.jpg

Good enough to win the '54 World Cup, I guess...

8093336.jpg

Push Coady into midfield and you have a 2-3-5 that Cullis would have been proud of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back