• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if we look to sell Bennett and Doherty come the close season replacements depending.

Both (particularly Benno) are performing exceptionally but there's no scope for more, I think they're riding the coattails of momentum. For example, see Dicko after 14/15. Injury aside he's never looked close to the same player.

This might not be palatable to some but you've gotta know when to stick or twist which we haven't for years, if at all. I can see other less divisive players also being shifted, this isn't me shitposting Doherty.

Man City did the same with the likes of Richard Dunne when they started becoming big players. He was four time player of the year there but was moved on to Villa at the end of first season of big money.

Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if we look to sell Bennett and Doherty come the close season replacements depending.

Both (particularly Benno) are performing exceptionally but there's no scope for more, I think they're riding the coattails of momentum. For example, see Dicko after 14/15. Injury aside he's never looked close to the same player.

This might not be palatable to some but you've gotta know when to stick or twist which we haven't for years, if at all. I can see other less divisive players also being shifted, this isn't me shitposting Doherty.

Man City did the same with the likes of Richard Dunne when they started becoming big players. He was four time player of the year there but was moved on to Villa at the end of first season of big money.

This is a good point. Wolves have been guilty of showing too much loyalty in the past, in terms of most of our lifetimes we are in a position which we have never seen before, where players who are good players that can still do jobs for other teams at the top level will probably be moved on through our choice.

Doubt that Matt Doherty would hang around as back up. Whatever we think, there are plenty of PL teams that would take him
Not if they scout players properly there isn't. Doherty has found a niche that bar some defensive howlers (Leicester, Huddersfield and City spring to mind) he's having a good season in. He remains a shit full back and can't play a traditional wing back role such as the one Trippier did in the World Cup as he has neither the pace or distribution. For him to do a decent job for another Prem side they'd need to line up like we do and as things stand nobody does that.

I think we've seen frequently that Nuno gets players in, and works with them in training until he's confident they can fulfil the correct role in the system on a matchday.

Thus, if he signs anyone in January, it isn't likely to be the case they'd be straight in.

Once Nuno is confident, then he'll make the change.

Tomorrow's game will be a big one for Doherty. First, he has to bounce back from his (and also Bennett's, who stepped forward at the vital moment the ball was put through for Sane, resulting in him losing the ability to intercept it and cover for the sluggish Doherty) howler on City's first goal last Monday. Second, he has to make up for the catastrophic game he had at Leicester earlier in the season. Third, if Wolves are looking for another wing-back, then he needs to show why he is so important to the way Nuno's team plays. If he responds the way he did after the initial Leicester game, then all the talk of replacing him will dissipate. However, if he messes up, then that talk will escalate. I'm hoping that he responds with the game of his life, which would be good for everybody, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see tomorrow.

Tomorrow's game will be a big one for Doherty. First, he has to bounce back from his (and also Bennett's, who stepped forward at the vital moment the ball was put through for Sane, resulting in him losing the ability to intercept it and cover for the sluggish Doherty) howler on City's first goal last Monday. Second, he has to make up for the catastrophic game he had at Leicester earlier in the season. Third, if Wolves are looking for another wing-back, then he needs to show why he is so important to the way Nuno's team plays. If he responds the way he did after the initial Leicester game, then all the talk of replacing him will dissipate. However, if he messes up, then that talk will escalate. I'm hoping that he responds with the game of his life, which would be good for everybody, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see tomorrow.

Tomorrow's game is a big one for everyone. It is the sort of game we really should be winning and it is another one for Nuno where he knows the questions before goes into the exam

Tomorrow's game is a big one for everyone. It is the sort of game we really should be winning and it is another one for Nuno where he knows the questions before goes into the exam

Well it’s not one “we should Be winning” but one we should look to win. The performance is key for me.

If we play well and it’s a draw I won’t be too fussed. Whereas a bore fest and draw I won’t be happy or borefest and loss I certainly won’t.

Well it’s not one “we should Be winning” but one we should look to win. The performance is key for me.

If we play well and it’s a draw I won’t be too fussed. Whereas a bore fest and draw I won’t be happy or borefest and loss I certainly won’t.
Where I will worry is if they sit deep with 3 holding midfielders and we pass the ball around again hoping for an overload that doesn't materialise. Nuno has to try something different tomorrow, otherwise I think he'll get a similar result

Wolves have been floated in the most uncertain terms as looking to swoop for Miguel Almiron if his move to Newcastle falls through.

Was done in a "I'm hearing from sources" kind of way though so I'd be almost totally shocked if there really was anything in it.

I would much rather we stamped all over the efforts of West Ham to get Maxi Gomez in as their Arnautovic replacement.

I know very little about him at all. Celta Vigo I see, and not exactly prolific, so I guess he is a DM?

I know very little about him at all. Celta Vigo I see, and not exactly prolific, so I guess he is a DM?

Holding mid, seems to be rated by Vigo supporters.

Not really a position I'd expect us to add to, though.

Holding mid, seems to be rated by Vigo supporters.

Not really a position I'd expect us to add to, though.

We've been linked to loads, an upgrade for saiss is very much on the cards

My opinion on Saiss hasn't changed; he's nearly the last place on the team I'd be looking to "upgrade" on. We have more pressing needs at just about every other position.

Mirror reporting we are prepared to offload our record signing, but that's based on a supposed interest in a Mendes client. Not sure what loss I'd be happy to cut on Traore if it's true as I can't see us making our money back on his performances for us

We're not going to give up on Traoré so soon.

The mirror thinks we want Pele from monaco, and the only way we can afford him is to sell Traore - it’s a ridiculous story on almost all fronts. (I doubt we still want Pele, that we can’t afford him, and that we’d sell a winger to generate funds for a CM, whilst already having 4 players for those two positions)

Back