• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

Ideally for me in January we bring in a top quality forward and move Leo on somewhere. Easier said than done though if we’re still playing well and looking comfortable it makes life easier.

I said this a few weeks back, but if we want to be pushing to be top 10 regularly and want to try and break into the top 6 eventually, then the front three of Jota/Jiminez/Costa are the first ones that need upgrading.

At present our defence is performing admirably and is in the top 6 in the stats. The issue is converting chances. I think Cavaleiro will do ok as he has a positive impact on goals scored. Jiminez does too but we need a striker who can get 10+ goals per season on a regular basis, and they're not easy, or even cheap, to find.

I reckon Raul will get 10 this season. He also has 5 assists already (if we count winning a penalty as an assist, which I do).

For me, the question of ambition is whether you upgrade Leo and wish him well, or go fucking mental, massively upgrade Raul and say thank you Leo and swap the order round, while making a decision on the Raul option in the summer.

I think the latter is likely, but it will cost an absolute bomb.

Then we look at the wide forwards, and I think Diogo is the most vulnerable to upgrade, much as I absolutely fucking love him.

Oh, and the wing backs still need some slight surgery. Pay Atleti whatever the fuck they want for Jonny. And Ruben Vinagre will come very VERY good. Matt has been amazing most of the season and I am hugely hugely impressed, but I think the team as a whole needs him to be the reliable dependable back up rather than one of the first on the team sheet.

That little lot is more than one window possibly. We shall see.

I expect a fair amount of outgoings in January. Get rid of the chaff that has no chance of playing here now, and then we move forward with better players.

I have said it many MANY times, but I absolutely do not believe in buying in a player "as cover". Improve the player in position instead and they become the cover. That is how squads evolve and become a lot better.

I don't think we'll get Jonny (Atleti want him) and Raul is going to cost a hell of a lot of money on his own.

I think we will use Jota/Traore as striker options and Leo can go if he wants in January, expecting us to spend mad papes on one in the middle of a season where we won't go down and won't make Europe is unrealistic.

Think about it, if there's a semi-mythical upgrade on Raul just ripe for the taking, why would his current club let him go when they have 3-4 weeks to sort out a replacement rather than 3-4 months?

I don't think we'll get Jonny (Atleti want him) and Raul is going to cost a hell of a lot of money on his own.

I think we will use Jota/Traore as striker options and Leo can go if he wants in January, expecting us to spend mad papes on one in the middle of a season where we won't go down and won't make Europe is unrealistic.

Think about it, if there's a semi-mythical upgrade on Raul just ripe for the taking, why would his current club let him go when they have 3-4 weeks to sort out a replacement rather than 3-4 months?

Raul £30m if we take him up the buy clause?
During the last Parli Meeting they were asked about Jonny and just said no decision has been made on him yet, which might indicate he is a possibility and we have simply used the Mendes circle to keep our spending levels down (now we have added Rui and Dendydocker* to the total)

*Spelling just for you.

Juanfran is 34 in January and Jonny is now a Spanish international (on merit too). Atleti will want him and they can offer him more than we can at the moment in terms of prestige.

I think Raul's release clause is £33m. Now we could pay it, but it's a lot of money.

I think Raul's release clause is £33m. Now we could pay it, but it's a lot of money.

We have paid a loan fee which is taken off the already agreed transfer fee should we take the option. Pretty sure that would leave us with £30m to pay. Still a lot mind especially as most of us think he will be upgraded on and will simply take Leo's spot.

I agree on Jonny. But we have to ask the question. If we give them a substantial profit, you never know, although it is very clear they have a spot pencilled in for when some of their ridiculously good defence get on another year.

On Raul - I reckon we will snare him for less than the option clause, but we shall see. I would buy him at the option clause because he is fucking ace at what he does.

Who says we won't make Europe? Seventh is achievable in terms of points gap, and let's face it the big six will hoover the trophies most seasons. Europa is a possibility.

I am not expecting Icardi to pitch up here, but there are some serious finishers out there, who would also fit our system. Question of how much we can realistically throw at a player with the obvious restrictions in place.

I say we won't make Europe.

Let's hold back here a minute, I'm enjoying watching us play, we're fantastic, but we do have one point from a possible twelve here and we're in the bottom half :icon_lol:

Four points off it. Have a look in a couple of weeks and the table might look a bit more like we are Europa-bound.

Ok. I'll have £20 with you right now that we won't be in the Europa League next season.

Ok then, I bet you a curry at the end of the season :D

I'll spend the next six months working out what to have because it's the easiest meal I've ever "earned"...

I will take that bet.

It wasn't an open offer, but sure. I like free money.

No more though, I don't have the liquidity to cover the 1-4% chance of it actually happening.

Ok then, I bet you a curry at the end of the season :D

I'll spend the next six months working out what to have because it's the easiest meal I've ever "earned"...

So - that's £13 rather than £20 by our usual standards!!

Bargain.

Back