• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

Saiss and Bonatini for a January exit?

Don't think either will much fancy not even getting on the bench at this stage of their career.

Saiss was on the bench yesterday I think.
I'd let both go, but only if we sign a replacement (at least for Leo).

I think the fact we have 10 ever presents means all of Bonatini, Saiss, Hause, Dendoncker, Ruddy and to a lesser degree Traore and Vinagre will be frustrated with their playing time. Because Nuno is choosing not to rotate there are players we cannot afford to let go like Hause and Saiss who won't be happy.

Saiss only has 18 months left on his deal. If he won't sign a new one (why would he, he's 29 in March and isn't anywhere near a first team shirt) then this is probably the time to cash in.

Dendoncker especially I would think, this move may for him have only resulted in losing his spot on the Belgian team.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Where's Saïss going to go though? Back to the Championship?

Where's Saïss going to go though? Back to the Championship?
There would definitely be French clubs interested.

Dendoncker especially I would think, this move may for him have only resulted in losing his spot on the Belgian team.

Martinez has made a point of picking him to time round.

There would definitely be French clubs interested.

Of course they'd be interested, none of them can pay the kind of fee we'd be asking for though.

We could loan him out until his contract wound down but this isn't a Doumbia or Oniangué here, Saïss is a valuable member of our squad in the peak of his career.

Why are people so impatient with Dendoncker :icon_lol:

I could see Hause going on loan - he really needs games. It's a shame as I think he is a very good defender (and footballer) but he's got Boly ahead of him!

Of course they'd be interested, none of them can pay the kind of fee we'd be asking for though.

We could loan him out until his contract wound down but this isn't a Doumbia or Oniangué here, Saïss is a valuable member of our squad in the peak of his career.

What would we be looking, £5-6m maybe? With not that long left on his deal, not that long left of his 20s and not much evidence he can perform above Championship level, you aren't going to get much more than that.

He's actually more or less exactly what Villa need.

If Saiss was keen to leave and a club came in for him for around £3-4m I think we'd accept tbh. Depends what his attitude is - he may enjoy being a part of this squad.

I could see Hause going on loan - he really needs games. It's a shame as I think he is a very good defender (and footballer) but he's got Boly ahead of him!
If we start letting the likes of Hause go then we either need to be confident that someone from the U23's (John?) are capable of stepping up or we are signing someone else. We have a first team squad of 21 which includes 3 keepers. For their own careers the likes of Hause and Saiss need to leave, but I don't see how we can let them without new players arriving.

It's something we'll have to deal with going forward, as Tony says.

A culture shock to a point for us as fans because for years we've largely only seen players leave because they fall into one of the following categories:

a) We got relegated
b) They should never have been signed in the first place
c) For whatever reason, the signing hasn't worked out at all
d) They have a ridiculous ego (Hi K-Mac and Benik)
e) They were good for a while, but are now on the way down
f) Just go, please go, for some reason you have ages left on your contract but we don't want you

We haven't often had "I am not in the team, I like it here but I need to play". But this is what top 10 clubs have to deal with all the time.

I'm shocked that anyone thinks Saïss could leave for as little as £3M in January when players like George Saville & Gary Madine are moving for closer to £10M.

Circumstances, innit.

George Saville was Millwall's best player last season, is 25 and had two full years left on his deal. They were absolutely desperate not to lose him, especially as they had limited/no time to replace him.

Gary Madine was 27 when Cardiff bought him, strikers always come at a premium, he'd scored 10 goals in half a season for a terrible team in the Championship (again, he was their biggest asset). And Colin has form for ridiculous striker signings in the middle of the season.

Romain Saiss is nearly 29 (or will be by the time anyone can buy him), 18 months left on his deal, hardly plays and I doubt we're going to make that much of a fuss to keep him if he wants to go. Every chance he won't have started a league game all season when the window opens.

He's a miles better player than the first two but the situation dictates that he won't cost as much. Plus you can't judge player values on someone else being an idiot and wildly overpaying for an obvious pup.

I'm not saying that he is certainly not good enough for the team, just that he can't be pleased to move here and have barely made the 18. That can only last for so long before his stock begins to drop.

Get you with the flashy new phone ;)
First time I've ever had the latest and greatest cell. Feels nice :icon_lol:

I'm not saying that he is certainly not good enough for the team, just that he can't be pleased to move here and have barely made the 18. That can only last for so long before his stock begins to drop.

Andy Robertson started two league games for Liverpool before December last season (and of all people, he had Alberto fucking Moreno in front of him). Fabinho has only just got into their team.

When you're looking at managers as meticulous as Klopp and Nuno, they won't chuck players in just because, they have to be absolutely ready to go. I'm not worried about Dendoncker other than the number of people who can't spell his name.

And turn your sig off :)

Back