• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games. Superb writing and excellent open world. The best side quests in any game.

Hoping Cyberpunk 2077 released next year is of the same standard (or better).

The new Star Wars game is really hard, you die and the respawn points are miles away from each other so you have to find all the shortcuts or you end up doing 10 minutes of game play you have already done and it becomes a chore.

I got No Man's Sky for Christmas. It shouldn't appeal but I love it - very atmospheric, it looks and sounds fantastic, and it's a game you can lose hours at a time by playing at whatever pace you like. Trying explain the concept of it, it sounds incredibly dull but there's *something* about it which draws you in.

Probably because I'm just a geek who likes flying spaceships I guess.

I got No Man's Sky for Christmas. It shouldn't appeal but I love it - very atmospheric, it looks and sounds fantastic, and it's a game you can lose hours at a time by playing at whatever pace you like. Trying explain the concept of it, it sounds incredibly dull but there's *something* about it which draws you in.

Probably because I'm just a geek who likes flying spaceships I guess.

It’s loads better than when it first came out but I got it at launch and still really liked it, I just found it immensely relaxing and interesting. I wish they hadn’t bothered putting the drones in as the combat is rubbish and doesn’t add to the game at all.

Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games. Superb writing and excellent open world. The best side quests in any game.

Hoping Cyberpunk 2077 released next year is of the same standard (or better).

I played about half an hour of W3 and it didnt hook me in.Should I have persevered?

PS5 and Xbox X series to cost around the £500-£600 mark apparently

I played about half an hour of W3 and it didnt hook me in.Should I have persevered?

Yes. The game is literally massive. You won't of seen anything of the brilliance in 30 minutes.
I suggest playing it on a regular basis for a month - after that, if it hasn't hooked you in then fair enough.

PS5 and Xbox X series to cost around the £500-£600 mark apparently

New rumour of a £449 price point for the Ps5 with Gran Turismo 7 being a launch game and a slogan of “time to play”.

Games you expect to be shit but start playing them and find out you really enjoy them #4534:

Jurassic World Evolution

My Velociraptor - Colin - escaped and ate a few tourists before I realised he was just a bit lonely. So I incubated, hatched and released Maud into his enclosure to keep him company (after fixing the fence and recapturing him, obvs) and he's been as good as gold, happy to just feed on the live goats I give him several times a day.

It's good fun - I got it for free when it was on Games With Gold a few months ago.

I remember that Jurassic World game being great fun, if not usually in the ways the devs probably expected. Roller Coaster Tycoon it ain't, but spot on; there's something really enjoyable about a T-Rex named Fred terrorizing virtual park patrons.

"Erm.... Dave - you might want to hurry up a bit with that tranquiliser. Colin looks well pissed. Dave..... DAVE!!! Fuck's sake, Dave - you had one job - couldn't you have done it 5 seconds sooner?"

No Man's Sky continues to thoroughly entertain me. I love it - a really good game to chill out with after a long, hard day. Gorgeous to look at too.

Attachments

• IMG_bba241b5-8803-4ab5-afc4-1a28a1ae397d.jpg
    IMG_bba241b5-8803-4ab5-afc4-1a28a1ae397d.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 25
Just finished the FFVII remake demo, really wanted to hate it but couldn't help but enjoy it. Even got the goosebumps when the opening prelude theme played (always loved that tune) but then I am a massive FFVII fanboy so probably not a surprise.

Just finished the FFVII remake demo, really wanted to hate it but couldn't help but enjoy it. Even got the goosebumps when the opening prelude theme played (always loved that tune) but then I am a massive FFVII fanboy so probably not a surprise.
I recently played the original again, and it had aged very badly...

Graphically it certainly has (it's over 20 years old) and isn't helped by the style it was created in (playing on a massive screen wont help either). It was one of my first RPG experiences so it'll always be my favourite but gaming has moved on substantially in the last 20 years so can understand the change in gaming mechanics.

Best to leave old games alone for the most part.

Genuine 2D stuff isn't too much of a problem (so the original Sonic/Mario games will hold up) but any early 3D stuff like Goldeneye is horrible now. Also Sensible Soccer is laughably simple and easy to exploit, CM 01/02 is merely a challenge in terms of not signing the cheat players and playing the cheat formations, even then it just ends up with you pressing Continue forever after a few seasons and watching the wins and trophies rack up.

Mario 64 would be an exception, they nailed the controls and camera on that although getting N64 stuff to emulate properly and map reasonably to a modern controller is a pain in the arse.

Back