• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

That's some power you have there Alan. I run some serious power hungry software at work and you could run it all on that beast.

I got lucky with the timing of the death of my old laptop. A few weeks earlier and I wouldn't have had the option for the 980m. It's an incredible piece of tech and I'm fortunate to own it.

24GB of RAM is overkill for a gaming machine.

Nice graphics card though.

It came with 16GB and I salvaged 8GB extra from my dead machine.

Not like having the extra hurts, anyway.

24GB RAM? That's a really weird amount. Not needed and you won't be running in dual channel, plus it's always best to run RAM in matched kits which yours now isn't. You're probably impairing performance with it in, I'd definitely recommend taking it out. Having the extra in situations like that definitely does hurt.

I don't buy that at all. There's nothing to suggest that any extra latency from the CPU accessing the memory is significant. The RAM runs in three matched pairs of 4GB each so I don't see where your worry is coming from.

You work with computers though, right Boozad? Hit me with the jargon.

EDIT: For disclosure, here's what CPU-Z says about my RAM loadout. It says dual channel is working fine.
RAM info.jpg

EDIT2: Upon further inspection, the two 4GB sticks I had added were running at 1.5V as compared to 1.35V on the pre-installed sticks. As such, I've taken out the extra sticks and dropped down to 16GB total. Not that that should hurt.

The only thing that lets your setup down Alan is Windows 8

I quite like it, actually. Quick, clean, and visually appealing. Steep learning curve tho.

I didn't mean for that to come off as disrespectful. Anyway I took the extras out, as I said.

Apparently they are releasing a first person mode for GTA V. It will be on the PS4, XBone and PC.

A new version of Elite is coming out. Sadly going to be PC only. It is in beta testing with a kickstarter.

Just started playing the first Assassin's Creed the other day. Dumbly the main character seems to be the only one without a period/setting-accurate accent!

The first one is rubbish. No fast travel and awkward climbing.

The first one is rubbish. No fast travel and awkward climbing.

It was a great idea but I'd agree - it's very 'meh'. The 2nd one is one of the best sequels I can think of though - they managed to fix so many issues and make it bloody good fun. AC: Brotherhood is my favourite of the series, being a nerd for Roman stuff. Not played AC 4 yet though.

I didn't really get into the first one and so never bothered going back for any of the other installments.

Seemed to get very repetitive, very quickly. Go to town, climb tower, identify missions (of which there were only 3 types i think?) and then repeat.

Think i went to each of the 3? towns once, seemed alright in a getting to know the game sort of way but then as soon as i revisited one of the towns, more areas had opened up for climbing/discovering, i'd had enough.

Back