• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The TWF Horse Racing Thread

Not a fan at all at this sort of gamble especially when trainers come out with bullshit like he should be a 10/1 shot knowing full well he's going to hack up. imo they're not conning the bookie but the normal everyday punter who would have thought they had no chance.

Just looking at them, Eye Of The Tiger is by Tiger Hill who has a reasonable record with his progeny on polytrack so maybe that could be the reason he improved but in his last 3 runs admittedly on turf he'd not beaten a horse home and been beaten a total of 308 lengths. Indus Valley was dropped massively in trip from 11f to 6f so you've got to be wondering why he was ever running over 11f, there's handicapping and then there is blatently abusing the laws.

Not a fan at all at this sort of gamble especially when trainers come out with bull$#@! like he should be a 10/1 shot knowing full well he's going to hack up. imo they're not conning the bookie but the normal everyday punter who would have thought they had no chance.

Just looking at them, Eye Of The Tiger is by Tiger Hill who has a reasonable record with his progeny on polytrack so maybe that could be the reason he improved but in his last 3 runs admittedly on turf he'd not beaten a horse home and been beaten a total of 308 lengths. Indus Valley was dropped massively in trip from 11f to 6f so you've got to be wondering why he was ever running over 11f, there's handicapping and then there is blatently abusing the laws.

I can see your point as when I come across it the odds had tumbled still could have got on for 44/1 but just never bothered.

However it's what makes these "plots" so great as they take a lot of planning to get the horses in the best possible condition, place them in the relevant races and then get the money on. To then see the panic from the bookies of a plot then to see the first couple go in must be such a great buzz for Barney.

He has been doing this for years and for anyone who hasn't read the story of "yellow sam" on his 1st ever plot that setup him up in the game then I suggest you have a look, a real great story!!

Well done Barney, enjoy your loot.

Not a fan at all at this sort of gamble especially when trainers come out with bull$#@! like he should be a 10/1 shot knowing full well he's going to hack up. imo they're not conning the bookie but the normal everyday punter who would have thought they had no chance.

I can see both points of view, which is why any inside information is useful. If anyone had told me the evening before I would have waded in at fancy prices overnight, as all of us would have done. But if I owned a horse that was going off at 25/1 that I knew was going to run well. Would I shout it from the rooftops, simply answer is, no. I'll echo Redditchs sentiments, well done Barney. They still talk about Yellow Sam in Ireland.

In all honesty it doesn't take that much planning, it takes running horses at the wrong trips or unfit to dramatically take down their handicap marks to such a mark that when they want any trainer worth their salt would be able to get them fit enough to win a 0-60 handicap because the horses are quite blatently better than that.

It just doesn't sit right with me at all, obviously with some horses if they didn't have lenient handicap marks by being run at the wrong trip etc they might never win and Sir Mark Prescott will often run a horse 3 times over 6f and then up it to 1m 4f as it gets a lower handicap mark than it should have but when it's blatently done with numerous horses to try and take as much money as possible rather than getting horses to win races i don't agree. I understand why some will say well done but i'll never be one of those.

In all honesty it doesn't take that much planning, it takes running horses at the wrong trips or unfit to dramatically take down their handicap marks to such a mark that when they want any trainer worth their salt would be able to get them fit enough to win a 0-60 handicap because the horses are quite blatently better than that.

It just doesn't sit right with me at all, obviously with some horses if they didn't have lenient handicap marks by being run at the wrong trip etc they might never win and Sir Mark Prescott will often run a horse 3 times over 6f and then up it to 1m 4f as it gets a lower handicap mark than it should have but when it's blatently done with numerous horses to try and take as much money as possible rather than getting horses to win races i don't agree. I understand why some will say well done but i'll never be one of those.

You're quite entitled to your view. However the way I see it is that the betting industry will do everything to try and put one over on me and you. The list of the ways they have stitched us up over the years is endless, I should know, I worked with them for over 2 years on racecourses all over the country. Anyone who puts one over on them will always get a thumbs up from me. I put a lot of time and effort most days trying to do just that. The other thing is that every trainer in the country is guilty of running horses when they damn well know they're not going to win, every single one, bar none.

You're quite entitled to your view. However the way I see it is that the betting industry will do everything to try and put one over on me and you. The list of the ways they have stitched us up over the years is endless, I should know, I worked with them for over 2 years on racecourses all over the country. Anyone who puts one over on them will always get a thumbs up from me. I put a lot of time and effort most days trying to do just that. The other thing is that every trainer in the country is guilty of running horses when they damn well know they're not going to win, every single one, bar none.

Oh yes i get that but they don't make it look so blatent which was done here, it also doesn't look good when horses are getting beat over 100 lengths to then be backed off the boards and win next time. It's also bad form on other punters, for example i reckon a fair few people thought that Seamster was a good thing yesterday and on all known form they were proved right yet a horse that hadn't won for nearly 5 years was backed senseless into 4/6 and hadn't looked like winning comes past him late on.

Another interesting one tonight, Pipers Piping backed form 22/1 into EVS, goes off 6/4 only for his stablemate Prohibition at 16/1 to win pretty easily.

Anyway another decent card at Meydan today and it's all building nicely to DWC night, i think today just showed again that Christophe Soumillion is outstanding in the saddle. Got to like a jockey that has the utmost confidence in his ability and shows it.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions but the last I will say is like Murphy stated the bookies have been doing us punters over for years so I always love it when a coup came off like the other day, great stuff.

Anyway I have a mate who is in a betting syndicate and he has had some information regarding Hunting Ground in the 7:00 at Wolvo, stepping up in trip and expected to go very well.

Not sure about the trip for Hunting Ground, it's a complete unknown but as he's from the Mark Johnston stable it wouldn't surprised me if he stays. He's certainly bred to go on the surface though which would make him most interesting to me.

Not sure about the trip for Hunting Ground, it's a complete unknown but as he's from the Mark Johnston stable it wouldn't surprised me if he stays. He's certainly bred to go on the surface though which would make him most interesting to me.

Pissed it, collect!!

Having watched the re run of Cheltenham and the racing from Leopardstown today. I think hold all bets for the festival until we know what the ground is going to be, unless you have a few free bets to chuck on. Everyone keeps going on about good spring ground, we're having the wettest winter in years with no sigh of it abating. Good spring ground might not arrive in time for the festival.

So Knockara Beau had a wind operation... might not be reason for dramatic improvement, but I do wish this sort of info had to be made public to everyone. Getting all excited already for Cheltenham, really fancy Our Conor for Champion Hurdle. For those of you of a certain age, he reminds me so much of the brilliant but sadly ill-fated Golden Cygnet.

I was only saying the other day how much Annie Power reminds me of Dawn Run.

So Knockara Beau had a wind operation... might not be reason for dramatic improvement, but I do wish this sort of info had to be made public to everyone. Getting all excited already for Cheltenham, really fancy Our Conor for Champion Hurdle. For those of you of a certain age, he reminds me so much of the brilliant but sadly ill-fated Golden Cygnet.

Can't go past the Fly at the mo.

Can there ever be another Dawn Run? She's very exciting that's for sure! Want her to run in the Stayers' for selfish reasons, think she'd be a danger to Our Conor! I'd be more worried about her than Hurricane Fly,, think OC will appreciate better ground and HF is much better at Leopardstown.. But the Fly has made me look fooish before.

I agree Paignton that Our Conor will be much better on better ground but i'm not sure it will be there for the festival, hopefully it is but even so i still feel The New One is the one to beat, he won't have to lead, can't imagine he will be infront to early and will be able to use him turn of foot to get him away up the hill or i hope that's how it goes anyway.

The New One has looked very good, but still can't look past the Fly.

However Murphy makes a great point re the conditions.

I am however a novice when it comes to horses

Back