• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The TWF Horse Racing Thread

I think that's true of racing in general. There's no end of trainers and jockeys, including many of the greats, who are happy to interact with the punters. Football might be better off if mangers and players were the same.

A very fair comment that is. I've been lucky enough to meet a fair few famous sportsmen and women through work and relations. National Hunt racing folk are by far and away the people you would want to spend time with.

Two big days coming up at Epsom. Any tips anyone? I can't get a handle on the Oaks myself. In the Derby I'll give a shout to Libertarian and Galileo Rock both at tasty prices.

Two big days coming up at Epsom. Any tips anyone? I can't get a handle on the Oaks myself. In the Derby I'll give a shout to Libertarian and Galileo Rock both at tasty prices.

The Oaks looks impossible but i think the Ballydoyle two of Moth and Say will be there abouts. Fancy Ocovango to be the one to push Dawn Approach or maybe outstay him. Away from those, quite fancy Blue Surf and Gregorian tomorrow.

Likewise stumped on the Oaks. I've had a little bit on Liber Nauticus, but don't hold out a huge amount of hope. Gregorian and Boonga Roogatta are my other picks tomorrow. Can't see past Dawn Approach on Saturday.

I'm very sweet on the chances of Banoffee in the Oaks and is way over priced at 10/1 so my money is down each way and expect it to go very close. Won it's only two starts and flew home under Fallon at the Chester meeting last time out. Richard Hughes was talking this horse up before it's run last time out and is gutted not to ride it plus Fallon thinks it could be anything.

The Oaks was hard to get a grip on as said but Talent was a very good winner in the end. Pleased that Gregorian won nicely and will be with Blue Surf again next time as it seemed race fitness may just have cost him.

I think i'm going to stick with Ocovango in the Derby although i think Dawn Approach will win if he sees out the trip well enough. Away from that, i fancy Riverboat Springs in the 2yo race and Seeking Magic in the last.

Pleased with that. Couple of nice ew touches.

Pleased with that. Couple of nice ew touches.

Well done Murphy, 2 great shouts and Libertarian looks like the Leger will be the perfect race for him. As for Dawn Approach, he had no chance from around 75 yards onwards and i have no idea why he did what he did.

Well done Murphy, 2 great shouts and Libertarian looks like the Leger will be the perfect race for him. As for Dawn Approach, he had no chance from around 75 yards onwards and i have no idea why he did what he did.

Who knows? When a horse does that you may as well let him go, why they fight them I'll never know, they never win. I laid him in running twice, once when he started pulling and again when he hit the front. I just knew he wouldn't get home. However the bookies were after him all week and again today, so something must have leaked out.

On a separate note the two horses that beat Libertarian and Galileo Rock home at Sandown in April, Sugar Boy and Eye Of The Storm need careful watching (both entered in the Irish Derby, I feel one of them will win).

Who knows? When a horse does that you may as well let him go, why they fight them I'll never know, they never win. I laid him in running twice, once when he started pulling and again when he hit the front. I just knew he wouldn't get home. However the bookies were after him all week and again today, so something must have leaked out.

On a separate note the two horses that beat Libertarian and Galileo Rock home at Sandown in April, Sugar Boy and Eye Of The Storm need careful watching (both entered in the Irish Derby, I feel one of them will win).

i don't know the stable well but could they not have used a pace setter for Dawn Approach. May not have had any effect on the result but surely he'd have had a better chance. How many times have we seen that sort of thing happen.

i don't know the stable well but could they not have used a pace setter for Dawn Approach. May not have had any effect on the result but surely he'd have had a better chance. How many times have we seen that sort of thing happen.

The thing that bugs me is why didn't Manning let him go in the first place? Then maybe he would have settled in 2/3 place. I always think that when this happens the jockey gets in a battle with the horse as if to show him who's the boss. It never ends well. I still maintain the horse wasn't settled all week due to all the bookies getting after him.

The thing that bugs me is why didn't Manning let him go in the first place? Then maybe he would have settled in 2/3 place. I always think that when this happens the jockey gets in a battle with the horse as if to show him who's the boss. It never ends well. I still maintain the horse wasn't settled all week due to all the bookies getting after him.

I really don't think it mattered whether he had of let him go or not, i agree a lot of the time jockeys should let them go if they are failing to settle but for me after watching the replay a fair few times there was something clearly wrong with Dawn Approach. I can't be certain but for a horse to be so calm in all his runs before to just be lit up and at first he wasn't pulling as such just shaking his head around it smacked of there being something wrong.

I really don't think it mattered whether he had of let him go or not, i agree a lot of the time jockeys should let them go if they are failing to settle but for me after watching the replay a fair few times there was something clearly wrong with Dawn Approach. I can't be certain but for a horse to be so calm in all his runs before to just be lit up and at first he wasn't pulling as such just shaking his head around it smacked of there being something wrong.

Which of course maybe shows that the bookies knew something was up.

it was a real shame, his head was all over the place from the start. I don't know if holding him up from his normal pace is enough to cause that but if so then surely his stable must have known in which case where was their race plan? if there was anything else wrong with him why would they run him?

it was a real shame, his head was all over the place from the start. I don't know if holding him up from his normal pace is enough to cause that but if so then surely his stable must have known in which case where was their race plan? if there was anything else wrong with him why would they run him?

Yes it was a shame because it took a lot away from the race in my opinion. I don't think it was anything to do with the pace as it was only after 75 yards that he started to move his head all over the place, just as Mirsaale came across him. Maybe they didn't know something was wrong with him but i don't think a slow pace so early in the race could have led him to do what he did.

Nice to have some top quality jumps action again at Auteuil.

No. Skint until pay day. Yourself?

No. Skint until pay day. Yourself?

Really want to back Solwhit as he's got the beating of all the British horses but not sure whether i will as i don't know anything about some of the French form.

Really want to back Solwhit as he's got the beating of all the British horses but not sure whether i will as i don't know anything about some of the French form.

Good decision if you decided not to.

Back