• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The TWF Horse Racing Thread

Good decision if you decided not to.

Yes decided against it in the end, just didn't know enough about some of the French runners particularly the winner who was put up by Claude Charlet.

Sir Henry Cecil has passed away.

Absolutely gutted when i heard the news. Agree with you Murphy that Frankel kept him going and glad that he got to see him complete his career unbeaten. Flat racing won't be the same without him.

There aren't many famous people that I'm genuinely sad to see go, but Sir Henry Cecil was absolutely one of them. Very much missed but immortality assured through Frankel. Think I'll just watch his 2,000 Guineas again on Youtube...

I think that's true of racing in general. There's no end of trainers and jockeys, including many of the greats, who are happy to interact with the punters. Football might be better off if mangers and players were the same.

It was Sir Henry I was particularly thinking of when I wrote this. I had the pleasure of chatting with him a few times at the races or on the gallops at Newmarket. He really was a nice bloke and truly a great. Frank Keogh on the BBC said "Cecil loved horses, racing, and the people who followed the sport. And they loved him back." - a perfect description.

I'm interested to know where everybodys favourite racecourses are in GB and Ireland one choice for each code. I'll go for....

NH - Fairyhouse

Flat - Chester

Not been to any tracks in Ireland or South-East, but my vote goes to

NH - Taunton (great atmosphere, don't have to walk miles as paddock doubles as unsaddling) - Aintree close 2nd

Flat - not been to many, but enjoyed Warwick (used to like Wolverhampton before they changed from Fibresand)

I used to love the Flat, NH was just a filler in between Flat seasons, now I much prefer the Jumps.

I thought this thread would be red hot! Anyone looking forward to the next 5 days I know I am.

Have never been able to get into the flat scene, but will look forward to seeing Animal Kingdom see how special he really is.

Have never been able to get into the flat scene, but will look forward to seeing Animal Kingdom see how special he really is.

I'd agree with that but Royal Ascot is special regarding the flat horses on display. For me the best flat meeting in the world.

Going for Declaration of War in the first, each way

Well done Mike!

Animal Kingdom well...

Really struggling to get into the flat this season. Hope Dawn Approach hacks up though.

Swiss Spirit in the 2nd race....

Mars e/w in the 3rd with Mshawish e/w as a BIG outsider

War Command and Thunder Strike e/w in the Coventry Stakes

Finally finished work and back home with the rest of the week booked off and looking forward to watching some great racing. Championship for me in the Coventry, backed him first time up and Hughes has said he's working well.

Cracking shout Darlo, routed them.

Wow...What a finish by War Command. Wish I'd put an e/w cross double on Declaration of War and War Command because I really fancied the pair of them

Back