• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The TWF Horse Racing Thread

Sorry Paignton, got it slightly wrong. It's not quite his debut for Nicky, he won at Ludlow last season but was supposed to be a Supreme prospect but they couldn't get him ready in time.

Thanks for info Nando, shall look out for it. If I don't enter Darlo's comp, is because laptop playing up - love Aintree!

Usually pays to avoid horses which have run or had hard races at Cheltenham, I fancy Across The Bay (had wind op) and Big Fella Thanks for the National, would love to see Always Waining run as that might be interesting

I read at the weekend (cant find the article now) that this is a bit of a myth nowadays, due to modern techniques/fitness etc, horses who finish in the first two at cheltenham have a good record (something like 45% win rate) at Aintree in the last 10 years.

I read at the weekend (cant find the article now) that this is a bit of a myth nowadays, due to modern techniques/fitness etc, horses who finish in the first two at cheltenham have a good record (something like 45% win rate) at Aintree in the last 10 years.

I think that what you have to look at is each horse in isolation. The gap this year is shorter, some horses take to running quickly again, some don't. However the ground this year at Cheltenham was testing so a horse who had a hard race this year might well have a disadvantage. Don't forget it will be totally different ground at Aintree to Cheltenham this year for the first time in years.

Last two tips from my mate's Twitter have won at 14/1 & 7/1.

Fair play to him, as I've said before follow people long term. As a side note BetVictor are offering NRFB on the 4 Cheltenham 2014 Championship races. A great offer.

Last edited:
As the price is beginning to shorten. The horse in question is Scribe 5.00 Southwell

This horse won at Wolverhampton tonight. 7/4 JF though.

I've backed this afternoons at Newcastle with a bit of my winnings from today...lets hope his current form stays!

Wow what an Aintree! What on earth went on with Battle Group? Won easily enough the other day well-backed with cheekpieces on first time. I saw a cashier for Ladbrokes in William Hill collecting over £600, must have had a tip. Then damn me, two days later, it wins even easier, 7-2!! How did they manage it to be so well-handicapped?

Wish I'd been privy to the info also.....wonder if the stewards will ask the Jockey Club to look into it???

He pinged every fence today. Remarkable.

Sounds like the winning jockey has had a very bad fall at Hexham today

Being airlifted to hospital. Unbelievable.

Ryan Mania seems fine now, thank goodness. Enjoyed National, even had tiny bet on winner on Tote (pd 133-1! Never can understand why people back big-priced outsiders with bookies rather than the Tote), but tbh was very disappointed with Channel 5
coverage and camera work.

Also, only 2 horses fell!!!! The race for me is no longer the thrilling spectacle it used to be, I think it died when Peter O'Sullivan retired. Although I still enjpy it... but 2 horses falling in a 40-runner National??!!

Ryan Mania seems fine now, thank goodness. Enjoyed National, even had tiny bet on winner on Tote (pd 133-1! Never can understand why people back big-priced outsiders with bookies rather than the Tote), but tbh was very disappointed with Channel 5

Also, only 2 horses fell!!!! The race for me is no longer the thrilling spectacle it used to be, I think it died when Peter O'Sullivan retired. Although I still enjpy it... but 2 horses falling in a 40-runner National??!!

Some of there camera work wasnt great alright, suppose they were trying things from different angles, you were unsure even if the race had started. Didn tthink there coverage was too bad overall they basically had all their programmes based around it for about 24 hours before.
Noticed BBC lead their sports reports on Firday evening with death of Little Josh rather then Sprinter Sacre run, possibly sour grapes

Agree about the comment regarding fallers, it is no longer a jumping test rather a souped up version of a normal steeplechase (not for a second that I would want horses injured). I actually think the problems started and more horses started getting killed when they made the fences smaller, meaning horses could attack them far faster, (I saw a programme at the weekend on ESPN showing classic old nationals and they didnt seem to be going at the same speed over the fences) hence when things did go wrong the repurcussions were far worse. Any time the national was a slog in recent years due to the ground there were more fallers but less serious injuries.

Still enjoyed it.

Agree with everything you say Donegal (apologies for typo, obviously meant Channel 4! Got this weird virus at mo, sore throat turned to cold and bronchitis - can't concentrate - anyway I digress)

Appalled at BBC with their disgraceful neglect of horse racing - they are Lefties who misguidedly believe horse racing to be elitist. If you look for racing on BBC text, it used to be the last sport listed. Now, it's just under "More Sports" and it's as basic as it could be.

So glad Channel 4 have taken over, fantastic coverage, well done to them. BBC was a joke Parrott and that fat oaf, what a load of rubbish, I knew Parrott years ago and what he knows about betting fits on the back of a postage stamp. So pleased that everyone came back safe and sound and all the moaners didn't come out of the woodwork. Fantastic spectacle and enjoyed this years National more than any other.

P.S. Forget the Tote use Betfair the winner could have been backed at 169/1 at least you know what the return will be unlike the Tote!

I thought I'd share this with you. Cue Card can be backed with BetVictor NRFB for the Gold Cup next season at 25/1. Now I think he may well line up, as I'm convinced he stays 3 miles, the only time he tried he hated the ground at Kempton and I also think he prefers left handed tracks and loves Cheltenham. If he runs he'll be a 6/1 shot or maybe less depending on who turns up. If he doesn't no real harm done.

Thats not a bad shout, is worth a few quid.

What are the chances of Sprinter Sacre going in Gold Cup? Is the owner/trainer considering it.

Thats not a bad shout, is worth a few quid.

What are the chances of Sprinter Sacre going in Gold Cup? Is the owner/trainer considering it.

I think he'll go for The Queen Mother again. If he did go for the Gold Cup, I reckon Cue Card would swerve it and go for The Queen Mother which he'd win. Cue Card got his deserved win at The Festival this year and I think they'll go for whichever Championship race Sprinter doesn't.

Back