• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2017/18 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Southampton to Liverpool road is well trodden. I don't think he'll be as good at Liverpool as he was at Southampton

Unless they bother buying at least one midfielder who can tackle and a goalkeeper who can save shots then they're not going to become particularly solid against the good teams anyway.

They won't sign anyone for the midfield with Keita coming in the summer

Cenk Tosun on his way to Everton.

Unless they bother buying at least one midfielder who can tackle and a goalkeeper who can save shots then they're not going to become particularly solid against the good teams anyway.

I was at the Arsenal-Liverpool game, and it was really obvious that as well as a central defender just as important was a goalkeeper who could inspire confidence in the whole team.

Keita in the summer is a great signing, surely that will be the end of Henderson? Has Can signed a new contract yet?

Goalkeeper is the biggest issue for them but they keep ignoring it for some reason

The keeper issue is ridiculous. I never understand why any team neglects it.

18 months ago Klopp clearly wasn't sold on Mignolet so he signed Karius. However I could have told you that the latter is awful, so that was a waste of time and Mignolet was back in. But he hasn't improved in the meantime, he's still the same keeper. So Klopp is playing someone every single week in a key position who he doesn't rate. It's crazy.

Wenger sticking with Almunia for years almost certainly cost them silverware and look at the difference with us having Ruddy in goal this season, granted in some games he doesn't have a lot to do but just having that authoritative, commanding, reliable presence as the last line makes such a difference to everyone else.

Cenk Tosun on his way to Everton.

Could well be a very good signing for them, he'll give them that bit of physical presence up top and can finish. Everton have looked so lightweight going forward this season it's unreal.

Yeah I rate Calvert-Lewin but he's not had much support. Rooney isn't a striker anymore clearly and Sandro has done very little, has he been injured?

No, just lightweight, slow tat. I didn't think much of him in the U21 tournament in the summer and it's hard to see how they ever thought he'd be suitable for the Premier League.

Calvert-Lewin is a decent player but he doesn't look like much of a goalscorer to me.

Also likened Sterling to Eusebio, I think?

Coutinho out with a 'thigh injury'. Clearly being wrapped in cotton wool waiting for Barca to come in for him.

Would be excellent trolling if they didnt bother.

Barkley off to Chelsea tomorrow, struggling to see where he fits in there tbf given their 343. I guess he could play on the right of the front 3 given that position isn't locked down, but you wouldn't say it's his natural place. Other than that it's squad player stuff which I don't think he needs at this stage of his career.

Really odd. No way he could do what Conte requires from his CMs. Bakayoko is shite, but you wouldn't put Barkley in his place.

They've been playing 352 a lot more this season with Hazard and Morata as a front two so there's an extra central midfield space opened up. I'm no Barkley fan but could see a place for him in that setup with two more restrained midfielders in there with him, not sure either Fabregas or Bakayoko offer enough help to Kante to allow that though.

They never push that third midfielder on, particularly. Cesc does his thing (which doesn't involving tackling, or chasing back) but you wouldn't say he pushes forward all that much.

Kante always plays and so does one of Bakayoko or Drinkwater (the latter is actually a better footballer). Barkley isn't replacing any of them like for like and if Cesc plays then it's to create in his fairly unique way, again that isn't happening with Ross the Boss.

When I've seen Cesc play instead of Pedro or Willian it's still been on the right rather than as an extra man in centre midfield

I think Barkley could play in a three like that, as one of the outside midfielders. Conte is a good coach who will improve him I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back