• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2014/15 - Everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stats in context are fine.

The indefinables in Sakho - for example - massively outweigh anything statistical that anyone can throw out. Watch him play. Would you trust this man at the heart of a Champions League defence? No, you would not. He looks an absolute nightmare.

Who would you trust, though? And I don't mean that as a pick at you, I mean it seriously in general. I can't really think of any CBs that I'd regard as world class. Hummels is the only that really comes to my mind.

Hummels isn't all that. Boateng was better for Germany, he was absolutely majestic in the final (Awaits Dan's abuse).

Thiago Silva is the best by a distance.

I'd trust Lovren based on what I've seen for Lyon, Southampton and Croatia.

Boateng was excellent in the final tbf. And vs France.

Good grief. He's going to be a top player though, he's got an excellent all round game for a player of his age.

Hummels isn't all that. Boateng was better for Germany, he was absolutely majestic in the final (Awaits Dan's abuse).

Thiago Silva is the best by a distance.

Thiago Silva I thought was dreadful in the World Cup. Like his brain had totally shut off.

I agree about Boateng but I don't fully trust him yet.

come on..all CB's in the world make mistakes..they are up against one of the best attackers in the world..you have to see which league they play in, against which players and how many mistakes they make, and do they have a world class team in front or not..so many parameters here folks..

While you're right, Fred, there's obviously a difference between being done in by quality attacking and being done in by shit defending.

Thiago Silva I thought was dreadful in the World Cup. Like his brain had totally shut off.

I thought he carried David Luiz massively. And look what happened when he missed a game. The dickhead got exposed for what he is.

He leads a defence brilliantly, same as Terry, same as Cannavaro a few years ago.

That's true, maybe I'm being too harsh on him for being paired with Luiz, but the yellow that got him suspended for the semi was monumentally stupid.

true Alan, seriously stupid..can we name the top 5 CB's in the world then? my picks:

1. Silva
2. Chiellini
3. Mertesacker
4. Kompany
5. Vidic

1) Silva
2) Varane
3) Koscielny
4) Chiellini
5) Godin

Thiago Silva
Vincent Kompany
Giorgio Chiellini
Raphael Varane
Diego Godin

Sergio Ramos, JT and Hummels after that I reckon. We'll see how Ginter develops because he could be special. Stones too.

Not Vidic now, he was brilliant in his time but he's going to Serie A for a reason. Rio was the best in the world for a while I reckon, scandalously underrated in this country.

My German friends would have your head for including Merte in this conversation, Fred! I'd say...

1. Kompany
2. Hummels
3. Benatia
4. Sergio Ramos (shit WC notwithstanding)
5. Varane

Bet you none of us would have David Luiz in the top 20.

Maybe before the World Cup, but not close to it now.

Good shout on Benatia. He's superb.

Vidic and Ferdinand is the best centre half partnership I've seen in my lifetime. Absolutely phenomenal.

I haven't seen many CB partnerships that I'd rate as "great", but Puyol and Pique together at Barcelona were always infuriatingly good.

And of course, who can forget the monolithic (in more ways than one) pairing of Roger the Relegator and Kaspars the Ponderous?

Puyol is a fucking legend..Baresi was the ultimate sweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back