• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2014/15 - Everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opta stats are a wankfest trotted out by SSN and prove absolutely jack shit

Whereas the footballing world clamours over a defender who struggled to get into Liverpool's team last season.

And yet didn't struggle to get into one of the more impressive teams at this past World Cup.

Sakho played 17 matches for Liverpool last season and was kept out of the rest mostly through injury. What's more, any "errors" you can see in your unscientific eyeball test are likely attributable in some way or another to the fact that Sakho plays left-sided CB next to Jon Flanagan, who (more statistics) was the most dribbled-by defender in the EPL last season.

Opta stats are a $#@!fest trotted out by SSN and prove absolutely jack $#@!

EPL Index and WhoScored paint the same story, if one professional outlet isn't enough for you.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics, as the saying goes.

Watch the player rather than indulge the number cruncher

And yet didn't struggle to get into one of the more impressive teams at this past World Cup.

Sakho played 17 matches for Liverpool last season and was kept out of the rest mostly through injury. What's more, any "errors" you can see in your unscientific eyeball test are likely attributable in some way or another to the fact that Sakho plays left-sided CB next to Jon Flanagan, who (more statistics) was the most dribbled-by defender in the EPL last season.

FFS :icon_lol:

Honestly Alan, I like you, but I wonder if you even watch the same game sometimes. Backing Altidore, this nonsense - it's on a completely different planet.

FFS :icon_lol:

Honestly Alan, I like you, but I wonder if you even watch the same game sometimes. Backing Altidore, this nonsense - it's on a completely different planet.

May as well throw out goal tallies, they're just statistics after all.

For the life of me I can't figure out how you pick the players you slate. It all seems wildly random. Sakho may look like a gangly doofus but he does his job exceptionally.

And defending a striker with 2 goals in 58 Premier League games is, of course, entirely rational.

Please don't try to belittle what I say, ta. Slag me off by all means and have an argument.

Not belittling you, Dan.

In all honesty I agree with you. But arguing with you is much more fun. You've got that German bite about you.

Al, individual stats have been proven to be unreliable in analysing football and in their raw form have little value. Watching the game will also not give the full picture but basing your argument on fairly meaningless statistics isn't helping you.

I'm on the fence with Sakho, he looks ungainly and without ability but his positioning is actually very good, he just isn't very good with the ball. To dispel your theory on ball retention and averages you'll find that midfielders who pass the ball forwards have a lower pass percentage than corresponding centre backs. This is to do with positioning on the field and opportunity, those same midfielders with lower pass percentages will also have higher chances created. It's all relative but you need to know how to measure and what to measure with before piling the metrics into the argument.

I don't agree with your France opinion, I thought they lacked leadership in losing to Germany.

Relax, Johnny, I was taking a piss (is that the right use of that phrase?).

Anywho I didn't make up the stats, I was just curious as to Dan's reaction to them.

havent watched enough of Sakho to really make a fair judgement..was a bit surprised to see him before Koscielny though at the WC

Stats are useless in football. The only one that counts for anything is the scoreline. It's only been over the past couple of years that pass completion, tackles won, posession percentage has been talked about. Probably because we have the technology to gather that kind of information and it gives the rolling sports channels something to base their opinions on.

I don't remember there being such an anti stats consensus on here previously. Certainly not when they were the go to defence of a certain Mr Jarvis.

Stats can have their uses but it's the interpretation of them that is key. Henry had pretty good pass completion at Wolves from my memory but half of them were passing team mates into trouble so just shows good stats are always what's good for the game/team.

Goals scored, clean sheets and, to a lesser extent, assists are the only stats that are worth looking at.

I get annoyed by the shit they put on tv during a match about distance covered compared to the team average, or passes completed compared to passes attempted. It's meaningless bollocks that attempts to vindicate the boring tika taka that people think they should be fawning over.

agreed..and more often than not the team with less possession and shots at goal wins the game...counter attacking is the shit

Polls will henceforth be completely disregarded!

I don't remember there being such an anti stats consensus on here previously.

Stats in context are fine.

The indefinables in Sakho - for example - massively outweigh anything statistical that anyone can throw out. Watch him play. Would you trust this man at the heart of a Champions League defence? No, you would not. He looks an absolute nightmare.

He looks like a gangly mess but I think he's OK. I can see him improving considerably this season if he stays fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back