• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

From someone who couldn't remember Kevin Keens name mid sentence the other day (I'm getting worse with age) I have always held you in the highest of regards, but now I just pity you after that :)

I can't help being down with the kids.

Anyway you need to try this cake. I've already had Squeeze and Johnny down there.

You've answered your own question there.

It's designed to improve their research skills, refining how they research things and filtering all the technical stuff to find the answer. We do the same in training at work. Many of our practical exercises are open book so trainees learn to go and find the answer in the help centre and database.

Not really. I do agree to some extent, I've already said I encourage them to research), but some of the stuff she's getting is pretty difficult and one or two have taken me half an hour or so to find out how to do them then work them out. Basically her maths homework would take her all night and I'm not having that. Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't teachers paid to teach kids how to do maths? Not just give them shitty printouts to take home and figure out for themselves?

I believe this teaching technique is called 'Guided discovery'. Very popular right now. The best engineering students I employ for placement years are on a CDIO based course. It's project based work rather than sit down and pass exams stuff. The quality is much higher in terms of both character and ability.

Yeah thats it. We have moved over to this model and it has also improved our metrics across all markets.

We used to see people fresh out of college who were academically brilliant, acheived great results on their degrees and had remarkable CV's. But when you put them on the floor in front of an angry customer chatting in about why his shopping data feed has been disapproved, they were useless.

Teaching agents to research properly and go and find the answers themselves is empowering and also efficent as well as providing the most accurate answers rather than just guessing. Thats why I think its a good thing that schools are introducing it into homework. As DW said, it helps students cut through the white noise and pin-point the stuff that matters.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't teachers paid to teach kids how to do maths? Not just give them shitty printouts to take home and figure out for themselves?

Absolutely. If the teacher is not providing any background context, then the students are going to fully understand what they are researching anyway so it becomes pointless.

You have to introduce the concept and then let them work it out before asking them to research the finer details.

Got some fantastic news everyone.

TWF What's New has finally appeared in my shortcuts when I click New Tab in Chrome on my phone. What a special day :)

When a Facebook Memory pops up that makes you smile - Today it has been 9 years since Paddy threw up and covered the landlord of the Great Western in his Carling filled foamy puke. Great day.

So as a few on here know, I run my local Pool League.
Over the last few seasons we've been really close to winning the 1st Division and have won the Team Knockout a few times. When I was setting up this season 5 of my teams players left to play from a different venue, leaving me with just 3 of us. I got a mate to play, the landlord and his son signed up and I persuaded 4 "old timers" who weren't going to play to sign up on the proviso that they would play when we were short on game night.
So the other lads, because they were a new team, had to start in the 2nd division which they won by over 20 points!
Anyway, as the luck of the draw went, we got drawn to play them tonight in the Qtr Finals of the Team Knockout. We've had a week of how good they are and how they were looking forward to seeing who they get in the Semi Final... We smashed them 5-2 (best of 9) and I really love Kama! :icon_lol:

Nice one Mike. Always good to get one over those who think they are better than you.

This season I won the "Super Hit Squad" in Burton's top division. This is whoever gets the most consecutive wins from your first singles game in each match, from the start of the season. I went 11-0 before losing one which made me the champion for this season. I'll get a trophy too if I can be arsed to go to the presentation night.

My better half has lived on the other side of Brum since we got together meaning that we only really get to see each other at weekends but has today sorted out a lease on a house just a 10 minute train journey away.

This is AWESOME news. And it makes me happy. As she's an absolute star.

Back