• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The things that I really, really like thread...

Ferreting about looking for the Christmas decorations (don't fucking ask, bah humbug etc etc) and found my massive old floor-mounted guitar multi-effects processor. I binned it off to the cupboard under the stairs when I started collecting boutique stompboxes and building my own board. However, got the old thing out (massive - it commands its own gravity and weighs a fucking ton) and gave it a bit of love*. Hey presto it still works, and the sounds actually are pretty good. Given it to Micro and he seems to be loving it so far.

*anyone f'naaring this sentence needs sectioning...

Ah !! from the days when quality = weight. Didn't it weigh about a stone ?

Years ago i had a Kramer 8 string (aluminium neck) I now list to the left when I walk :)

It seems HUGE. Miles bigger than I remember, although that is probably because I am used to the much smaller stuff available now.

Some cracking sounds on it though.

My brothers gone down the boutique smaller setup route and he's a lot happier !

It seems HUGE. Miles bigger than I remember, although that is probably because I am used to the much smaller stuff available now.

Some cracking sounds on it though.
One of the few Boss pedals to emulate the old 'Slow Gear' stomp box that has all but disappeared from existence. Love that effect. Also had a lot of fun with the 'Slicer' effect.

Daughter in law seems to be recovering a little, though have now found out that the aneurysm burst & she had a bleed on the brain & that the operation was to repair that.

Short term memory is poor though doesn't seem to have wiped any of the rest of her life out - still in intensive care, but appears to be off the critical list now

Cracking to hear fella! Lets hope for more good news in the coming days.

One of the few Boss pedals to emulate the old 'Slow Gear' stomp box that has all but disappeared from existence. Love that effect. Also had a lot of fun with the 'Slicer' effect.

"Cool Sitar" is instant Wherever I May Roam.

There are some excellent cleans with a bit of chorus and delay where you can really dial in a Randy Rhoads lead tone, especially with a Les Paul.

The book my brother has written re my father's war

025.jpg

Info gleaned from his diaries, research through the MOD/Regimental records/National Archive. Limited amount of personal feelings as he didn't write them down & never spoke to us about it, though there are little glimpses from bits taken from notebooks my mother wrote titled 'Snippets from my Life' (which I am now intending to transcribe and build on with a view of producing a view from her side)

Didn't get many copies produced as it is of no real interest to anyone outside the family, but we can now all follow where he was & what he was involved in during the 6 or so years he was in service. Certainly he was involved in areas none of us were aware of previously

The book my brother has written re my father's war

View attachment 1521

Info gleaned from his diaries, research through the MOD/Regimental records/National Archive. Limited amount of personal feelings as he didn't write them down & never spoke to us about it, though there are little glimpses from bits taken from notebooks my mother wrote titled 'Snippets from my Life' (which I am now intending to transcribe and build on with a view of producing a view from her side)

Didn't get many copies produced as it is of no real interest to anyone outside the family, but we can now all follow where he was & what he was involved in during the 6 or so years he was in service. Certainly he was involved in areas none of us were aware of previously

Where was he stationed?

My father was in Egypt for the last year of WW2.

Where was he stationed?

My father was in Egypt for the last year of WW2.

Haven't read all of it yet, and there are things that I thought I knew as to where he was, but which have turned out to be totally innacurate. Was in Egypt for a time, but got a (non battlefield) injury & ended up in another unit after recovery (got injured playing hockey!!)

He did land on Juno (Mike Beach) with the 191st Field Regiment (RA) on the 8th June in support of the Canadians & was involved in the battles around Caen (Operations Epsom & Goodwood) - this was a unit with 25pndr guns.

Have only scanned/talked to my brother re some of the later stages, but he was also involved in a fairly traumatic crossing of the Rhine when acting as a FOO (Forward Observation Officer) for the troop, at the Northern edges of the battle of the Bulge & a dramatic dash to the north German coast on the Elbe to prevent the Russians breaking through & wandering up into Denmark & the other Scandinavian countries right at the end when, it could be said that the Cold War was starting & they were wanting to draw lines on the map.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the information. Your Father clearly saw a lot more action than mine did.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the information. Your Father clearly saw a lot more action than mine did.

Not read it all, but have a feeling that he was back with the guns for more of the time than he was up at the front line, so less exposed.

Think that the life expectancy of an front line infantry officer was measured in weeks whereas those in the artillery had a much better chance of coming out in one piece.

I'll have you know that my Grandad and Uncles were in REME, so they resolutely defended Cannock Chase ! Which by the way was never ever invaded, But we have a picture of my great Grandad who has the most impressive moustache ever.

Great Grandad.jpg

I'll have you know that my Grandad and Uncles were in REME, so they resolutely defended Cannock Chase ! Which by the way was never ever invaded, But we have a picture of my great Grandad who has the most impressive moustache ever.

View attachment 1522

Which unit was your great grandfather attached to?

Don't know much about him, but his cap badge is the Staffordshire regiment, I think

Back