• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

Brilliant game that was.

and now a semi final and he doesn't have to play one of the top 3.

Now for the Semi-Final and Jo-Wilfred

Should be a cracking game against Tsonga - he won't be easy, but at the same time he won't get many better chances to make a Wimbledon final.

Tsonga is an amazing player, and although i rank Murray i think Tsonga will take it..great physique and may be his year to win it all. Federer was my favourite, we will see how his back will hold up against the beast Djokovic. Exciting semis!

I hope Tsonga murders him. Either literally or in a sporting sense will do.

30 minutes to shut a fucking roof, what's it do cover London!

Thing is, it is supposed to be an open air tournament, so where possible the aim is to not close the roof. Roof closures are a last resort.
When the roof is closed, they have to acclimatise the court so the air is consistent everywhere.

That was a superb match. There were a number of amazing shots & rallies, as well as winners.
Murray has had a difficult series of games - long, large rallies, & late nights. Be interesting to see if it affects him in the SF. I hope it does not.

Impressive performance from Radwanska.

Now hoping Vicky can stuff Serena.

Now hoping Vicky can stuff Serena.

Hadn't seen Serena this year but caught the doubles after Murray's game last night. She looks a right unfit mess, obviously she isn't but I think she has swallowed Ebanks-Blake

Indeed

On the other hand, Venus looks like she could do with a good meal.

I was getting dinner ready last night and I nipped into the lounge to watch a bit of the Williams sisters playing a doubles game.
Serena served, hit the net.
Got the 2nd one.
Her opponent missed the return.
Next point, she served, hit the net.
Got the 2nd one.
Her opponent missed the return
Next point she served, hit the net.
Tried again, hit the net, a double fault.
On each of the 2nd serves, the ball was practically stationary when it bounced in front of her opponent.
Just shite tennis.

I know she'd just played her 2 sets earlier in the day, but for fuck's sake, I think the quality is quite poor, and sooooo boring.
Then you get all the fucking grunting....

Can't be doing with it. Really, it's just so poor.

The reason Azarenka "missed the return" was because Serena was serving phenomenally well.

Ridiculously harsh criticism of a high standard game.

The reason Azarenka "missed the return" was because Serena was serving phenomenally well.

Was Azarenka also playing against Serena in the doubles? If not then its ridiculously harsh criticism of a post about a doubles match that you weren't watching.

Any thoughts on the mens semi finals folks?

I struggle to see past Djokovic for the first semi final - 1.00 start.
Murray Tsonga looks a very close one to me. Tsonga is a threat, & a big game player. In the top 6 in the world, so not a great deal between them.

Murray is playing the best I've seen him imo. He seems to be more tactically aware than before - for example v Ferrer he used the backhand with topspin a lot, & reduced his use of the backhand slice. He is serving very well too. I think he could just edge it, but I'm nervous for him...

Djokovic v Murray on Sunday - Djokovic to win in 4 sets.

In fairness Nando, I went in, watched that 3 mins, couldn't believe the poor quality and seeming lethargy and her opponents inabilty to stamp her authority on Serena, so turned it off and went back to carry on with dinner.

If the quality of that little glimpse had been any good, I'd have stayed in there, but just that 3 minute bit was crap. Though in fairness, I heard the game turned out to be a good one. I just didn't see it from that bit.

I think Tsonga will stretch Murray particularly along the base line, but I think he'll make his own errors which Murray will punish. I agree that Murray seems a little more astute this year and is able to pace himself a lot better.

Federer's match will be hard to guess. But I think Djokovic and Murray will be the final and of course I'd like Murray to win..... but....

Back