• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

Muguruza is a tough nut. Serving for the first set.

Nah, no chance. The amount of bagels against even top 16 players is embarrassing. Not so much in this specific tournament in this specific year (so far), but across the season it's shocking.
And there we go.

Yeah that's exactly my thoughts to be honest which does mean that there are several in the market a couple of points too big. Had another look through and thrown a couple of darts at it fro a bit of fun, one from each side of the draw. Muguruza 12/1 from the top and Svitolina 25/1 from the bottom.

I'll take that.

Federer been excellent but not looking good for Cilic now. Was it when he slipped earlier? Fair play to him trying to play through it. He looked in a right state

Did I hear properly that Federer never trailed in a set for this entire Wimbledon? Absolutely ridiculous if true.

I may not like him but he's almost indisputably the best of all time (although my dad will never let Bjorn Borg off that pedestal).

He never lost a set in the tournament. Don't know about trailed.

Fed is a bona fide legend, had every chance of winning it this year whoever he came up against but Dolgopolov-Lajovic-M Zverev-Dimitrov-Raonic-Berdych-Cilic is a really moderate run of matches to have to win a Grand Slam. I guess that's just the way it falls sometimes.

Fed is a bona fide legend, had every chance of winning it this year whoever he came up against but Dolgopolov-Lajovic-M Zverev-Dimitrov-Raonic-Berdych-Cilic is a really moderate run of matches to have to win a Grand Slam. I guess that's just the way it falls sometimes.

That is true, but you can only beat who you are up against, and Federer did that superbly.

Murray has withdrawn from US Open with hip injury. Means there will be no Murray, Djokovic, Wawrinka or Raonic at Flushing Meadows. Federer is reportedly struggling with his back and Nadal has had no form since French so could be an opportunity for somebody to come through. Zverev could be an interesting bet, has been in great form the last few months and will surely win Slams in the next few years

Zverev is the best of the new generation by a long way (Dimitrov is as good, but too flaky, like a proto-Stan).

Sadly I think Andy is coming to the end.

Think you're right. Read he has been getting a lot of work done on his hip since Wimbledon but not a lot is working. If it can't be fixed he will struggle to go deep in tournaments with the way he plays

It's a shame because he had an incredibly favourable draw here. If he were anywhere near then I'm sure he'd have had a go. The fact that he hasn't speaks volumes.

So a great shout my me on Zverev, gets knocked out in round 2.

Kyle Edmund through to Round 3 and will face Shapovalov, who knocked out Tsonga earlier.

Back