• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Just put the £45m on the pitch in a pile, around 10 yards from the goalline. Will react the same to crosses and be as vocal as Max.

Here's a question to ponder...

If it's so easy to replace Max Kilman for less than £35 million, why aren't West Ham just doing that?
Comes down to the manager. If he wants a specific player then others don't come into it.

If it's so easy to replace Max Kilman for less than £35 million, why aren't West Ham just doing that?
It's a good question, opinions ay it. Kilman hasn't been that bad overall ino but it seems his best work is in a 3 and he can't be the main man back there. Whether we can get an obvious upgrade remains to be seen. I guess we'd look for a younger, quicker, more athletic version of Dawson.

Could fire that around about tons of players down the years.

Why are Stoke bidding £3m for Seyi Olofinjana if it's so easy to replace him for £1m.

I would imagine if Kilman has read this thread or most other Wolves related threads to be honest he’ll snap their hand off.

Or he could ask Kalvin Phillips how tolerant West Ham fans are towards signings who don't play very well.

It's nothing personal with Kilman, he isn't a dickhead, I'm sure he does his best, he cost us nothing, he isn't even *bad* by conventional metrics, he just isn't worth anything like the money being mentioned, he's a very poor captain and he also causes us a lot of unretrievable problems in terms of shape and playing style (if we had better/different profile CHs alongside him at the club then it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but we don't).

And he's probably not in their top 10 worst signings.
Ah, I'd say he is, just about.

Antony
Pogba
Sanchez
Sancho

All comically awful and definitely worse.

Could make a case for

Casemiro
Lukaku
Varane
Fred
Wan-Bissaka

Being stupidly overpriced for what they are/were, but he also fits in that bracket.

I could be missing someone obvious though!

Pogba was pretty good when he first went back there to be fair - his United comeback was certainly far better than his Juventus return.

Bartez and Veron spring to mind
Both won at least one PL title tbf, Barthez won two in three years

Barthez was great in his first season then lost it, was still their best post-Schmeichel keeper for ages until they signed Van der Sar, don't think he was that expensive either all things considered

Veron was an incredible player, just couldn't make it work in England, they got a decent chunk of their money back off Chelsea (he was a way worse signing for them because they had the evidence right there to say he couldn't adapt)

Pogba was pretty good when he first went back there to be fair - his United comeback was certainly far better than his Juventus return.
Fair (one and a bit good seasons maybe?) but never dominated the league like you would want for his price tag and the timeline of "leave for free -> return for £89m -> leave for free after never getting close to winning the league" looks awful when taken as a whole, especially as he's a fucking knob too.

Ah, I'd say he is, just about.

Antony
Pogba
Sanchez
Sancho

All comically awful and definitely worse.

Could make a case for

Casemiro
Lukaku
Varane
Fred
Wan-Bissaka

Being stupidly overpriced for what they are/were, but he also fits in that bracket.

I could be missing someone obvious though!
Taibi, Blanc, Djemba-Djemba....however nowhere near as costly.

Also the French baldy, erm... Prunier

Back