• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

You still think we are light on numbers then?
It's numbers in areas that we are short.

We don't have any competent centre backs outside of Dawson, we don't have any full backs bar Semedo, we don't have a centre forward full stop, we only have 1 inside left player in Cunha but we now have 4 inside/ wide right players, 3 right wing backs, 2 left wing backs, 4 defensive midfielders, zero attacking centre midfielders unless you include Bellegarde.

It's no good saying the numbers are right when we could have 25 players but no team. Which is what we have.

3 keepers
5 centre backs (plus Semedo can tuck in)
5 wing backs
4 centre mids
2 right sided attackers (Neto, Sarabia)
3 left sided (Cunha, Bellegarde, Chiquinho)
1 striker (at least one to be signed)

You can argue about the quality, and there will be changes in personnel, but I don’t think it’s light on ‘numbers’ or balance at all.

Astonishing how many players we are being linked with given it's mid June and just before the Euros.

3 keepers
5 centre backs (plus Semedo can tuck in)
5 wing backs
4 centre mids
2 right sided attackers (Neto, Sarabia)
3 left sided (Cunha, Bellegarde, Chiquinho)
1 striker (at least one to be signed)

You can argue about the quality, and there will be changes in personnel, but I don’t think it’s light on ‘numbers’ or balance at all.
You can't divorce quality from quantity though as we could go and get 20 Sunday League players and say we have numbers.

But if we take it on numbers.

3 Keepers
5 CB - Semedo is not a CB and never will be
4 RWB - included R. Gomes and Hoever in that number
2 LWB
5 CM - included Bellegarde as that is where he was initially played before being shoehorned out wide where he can't play
3 AMR - Chiquinho has never played on the left for us
1 AML
1 STR (Hwang at a push)

And that's before you get to
2 Keepers not being good enough
2 CB's not being good enough, 1 ageing, 1 not being able to play in a 2.
2 RWB nowhere near good enough
1 LWB not rated by the manager
1 CM who can't play deep, but well stocked otherwise
3 AMR who all might leave in the next month
1 world class AML/ deep lying forward in Cunha
1 STR who is a pure poacher and nothing else

It's only RWB and CM where you can say we have enough quality in depth and AMR for now.

That's a squad completely devoid of depth and balance no matter how hard you argue the numbers.

9 in 34 in 2022/23, 10 in 39 in 2023/24.

Very Andy Keogh.
I've seen him play on the TV 3 times and thought he was about as bang average as you get. Not sure what he was good at, not particularly quick, big or strong and not got great movement.

I've seen him play on the TV 3 times and thought he was about as bang average as you get. Not sure what he was good at, not particularly quick, big or strong and not got great movement.
Don't give me flashbacks, man

joe-mason-wolves_3768870.jpg

You can't divorce quality from quantity though as we could go and get 20 Sunday League players and say we have numbers.

But if we take it on numbers.

3 Keepers
5 CB - Semedo is not a CB and never will be
4 RWB - included R. Gomes and Hoever in that number
2 LWB
5 CM - included Bellegarde as that is where he was initially played before being shoehorned out wide where he can't play
3 AMR - Chiquinho has never played on the left for us
1 AML
1 STR (Hwang at a push)

And that's before you get to
2 Keepers not being good enough
2 CB's not being good enough, 1 ageing, 1 not being able to play in a 2.
2 RWB nowhere near good enough
1 LWB not rated by the manager
1 CM who can't play deep, but well stocked otherwise
3 AMR who all might leave in the next month
1 world class AML/ deep lying forward in Cunha
1 STR who is a pure poacher and nothing else

It's only RWB and CM where you can say we have enough quality in depth and AMR for now.

That's a squad completely devoid of depth and balance no matter how hard you argue the numbers.
I think you can separate quality and quantity but of course it’s your right to twist it whichever way you please. I just don’t think the numbers argument is as extreme as you make out.
There’s no doubt we all want more quality and upgrades in certain positions.

I'm still struggling to get my head around Hwang being seen as a genuine option for centre forward. Third if injuries or suspensions hit fine, but his primary position in a team that's built to have someone hold the ball up and bring the wide forwards and a 10 if we start one into play...nah.

No different to any year is it?

Most of the links are bullshit anyway
Not sure, it feels a lot busier than this time last year? Would need to check, but given we only signed King and Doc before Nunes sale I'd say it must have been?

Not sure, it feels a lot busier than this time last year? Would need to check, but given we only signed King and Doc before Nunes sale I'd say it must have been?
We generally don't sign players in June (not counting turning loans into permanent deals).

2016: None as Fosun hadn't taken over properly yet
2017: Bennett, Miranda, Ofosu-Ayeh (at least two of those were arranged before Nuno took over)
2018: Patricio
2019: None
2020: None
2021: Mosquera
2022: None
2023: None

I think you can separate quality and quantity but of course it’s your right to twist it whichever way you please. I just don’t think the numbers argument is as extreme as you make out.
There’s no doubt we all want more quality and upgrades in certain positions.
I would say twisting things is what you've done with your first post.

How anybody can think the squad is balanced is on some sort of mind altering drug.

Saying we've got a full squad when 25% of it is championship standard at best is a tad 'comical Ali' tbf. As Dan said there's the best part of a dozen first team squad players where you'd happily let them rip up their contract.

In the context of having c25 senior footballers in the building, the squad is full.

In the context of that squad having loads you'd give away for nothing, a handful you'd happily sell for £5-10m, then the squad is in pretty poor shape.

Saying we've got a full squad when 25% of it is championship standard at best is a tad 'comical Ali' tbf. As Dan said there's the best part of a dozen first team squad players where you'd happily let them rip up their contract.

In the context of having c25 senior footballers in the building, the squad is full.

In the context of that squad having loads you'd give away for nothing, a handful you'd happily sell for £5-10m, then the squad is in pretty poor shape.
I stated all along, numbers….
So we need to shift players before we bring in fresh quality. Didn’t think it would be hard to understand!

Back