• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

A fair concern would be if GFFH is also right about us only signing one central striker this summer. Adams and Hwang as our #9 options for the year ahead would be an awful, but conceivable, outlook.
He also said we wouldn't be signing anyone for weeks.

If our two options for a number 9 are Che Adams and Hwang Hee-chan then avoiding relegation will be a good result. I've no problem with either of them as a 'first cab off the rank' back up striker, but neither are good enough for a midtable Premier League club.

Neto ....... New . . . . Cunha
(RAN) . (Hwang).....(Hwang)
(New) . (Cunha)

He also said we wouldn't be signing anyone for weeks.
Yep. I was trying to avoid bringing that up to not seem like a smart Alec. Was tempting though, due to the ‘pat on the head’ style that advice was couched in.

My issue with having only Hwang & 1 other striker is it limits our options tactically. If one of them is injured or suspended (we've had Hwang for 3 years now, we should know that he's going to be unavailable for long stretches of the season) then we can only really play one way.

We were properly found out at the end of last season and O'Neil couldn't do anything about it as he didn't have the options on the bench to make any kind of meaningful change.

More annoying as Jeff has stated publicly via his drunken emails that the failure to replace peak Raul has really hurt us, and that is something he's desperate to address. It's pretty hard to acquiesce those comments, with having Adams and Hwang as your forward options.

More annoying as Jeff has stated publicly via his drunken emails that the failure to replace peak Raul has really hurt us, and that is something he's desperate to address. It's pretty hard to acquiesce those comments, with having Adams and Hwang as your forward options.
We really miss the Ferrari but this Astra and Focus will do the job!

Is Jeff thinking " why would we spend big money on a striker?" When we had 2 forwards in double figures last season.
That's my concern as I just don't trust him.

Him saying we've got the "number one wonderkid" is seared into my brain.

Does anyone in football actually use the term "wonderkid"?

People need to forget transfers for at least a month and have a break!
Just seen people talking about Alzate on Twitter!! This is where we are with the transfer window currently!!
To be fair I was referring to people chilling out for a month, not that we or others wouldn’t be signing anyone!
We are one striker off having a full squad now, with returning loanees making up numbers to two players per position at least.
Incomings will then be dependant on sales (Neto? Sarabia? Sa? Semedo?) being replaced or potential upgrades in the squad (Bueno’s?, Traore?)
How many of those happen, nobody knows right now.

Does anyone in football actually use the term "wonderkid"?
E-iac_cUcAMrStB.jpg:large

It was generational talent
He said that too

JP: And when Raul Jimenez got injured it thrust Fabio Silva into the spotlight and many felt he wasn’t ready and then immediately they looked at the price tag, as we touched on earlier, where do you think that signing stands, do you feel it stands the test?

JS: I want to say, Fabio at the beginning I thought he is the top player at his age in the world. Now, I think it has even proved that, because not so many 18-year-olds have played in the Premier League, score four goals, five goals, and maybe you can hear more names around the world, OK some wonderkid here or there, but no one is playing the same as Fabio is doing now in the league, in the toughest league in the world. You can do something maybe in Germany, in Portugal, but it’s different from the Premier League, so I still keep my position, I say that he is at least top three, or top one, best wonderkid in the world at his age.

Didn’t somebody mention at one point, Fabio was going to be as good as Ronaldo or did I make that up?

To be fair I was referring to people chilling out for a month, not that we or others wouldn’t be signing anyone!
We are one striker off having a full squad now, with returning loanees making up numbers to two players per position at least.
Incomings will then be dependant on sales (Neto? Sarabia? Sa? Semedo?) being replaced or potential upgrades in the squad (Bueno’s?, Traore?)
How many of those happen, nobody knows right now.
Do you mean including Sasa and Fabio, or are you genuinely saying we’re complete with Hwang and one addition? It’s a puzzling comment given what we’ve seen with our own eyes these last few months but I might have misunderstood.

The first part of your reply isn’t that credible to be fair. Just say you didn’t see it coming.

Back