• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

There are? I'm assuming Che Adams isn't fucking one of them.
I honestly don’t mind Adams as a squad option on a free. He’ll be low maintenance, relatively low wage - he can hold a ball up, has experience in the league, knows the area and occasionally scores a goal. He’s (understandably) being used as another stick to beat Fosun with (and they deserve it all), but when everything is put to one side - he’d be ok. Certainly a much better option compared to what we’ve had on the bench for the last 6 months. Just so long as he’s not the *only* forward we sign.

I know there’s a lot of ifs, buts & maybes in there based on the fucking owners plans (if there is one, of course)

I honestly don’t mind Adams as a squad option on a free. He’ll be low maintenance, relatively low wage - he can hold a ball up, has experience in the league, knows the area and occasionally scores a goal. He’s (understandably) being used as another stick to beat Fosun with (and they deserve it all), but when everything is put to one side - he’d be ok. Certainly a much better option compared to what we’ve had on the bench for the last 6 months. Just so long as he’s not the *only* forward we sign.

I know there’s a lot of ifs, buts & maybes in there based on the fucking owners plans (if there is one, of course)

I do agree with this but by the same token this type of signing is only now seen as palatable because the club have lowered expectations by leaving us in a position where we have had to use kids who are not remotely ready to play at this level. Che Adams would not have been seen as an acceptable signing for us as recently as a season or two back.

The "if" at the end there is the huge caveat.

No one would bat an eyelid if he's the coming in as a backup but if he signs tomorrow, given where we are up front, he's our #1 out n out striker. Given where we are as a club, the track record we have in summer, the optics suck.

For a mid table PL side, which is all we aspire to be at the absolute best, because that's what Shi has told us, then as a player to bring on for the last 15 minutes and cover for injuries or suspensions Adams is adequate.

I have little faith that there's a plan to add to that signing and even if GFFH is correct and there are targets even less that they'll land one high on that list.

I'd piss myself if after their promotion Adams re-signs for Southampton, not so much because it means he's not coming to Wolves, more because it'll shine yet another light on the ineptitude.

I do agree with this but by the same token this type of signing is only now seen as palatable because the club have lowered expectations by leaving us in a position where we have had to use kids who are not remotely ready to play at this level. Che Adams would not have been seen as an acceptable signing for us as recently as a season or two back.
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. My comment was based on where we are with this ownership right now.

Also, re; Adams. You’d like to think if we are indeed after him, we’ll get it done and dusted before the euros. So we’ve basically got a two week window to get it done now before he goes away.

Just seems very much anti-Fosun to move that quickly. They’d rather sit & ponder on what to do before eventually missing out.

Linked to ESR but Arsenal want £30m. So basically unlink us straight away.

Also linked to Caoimhin Kelleher as a replacement for Sa.

I'd imagine the Kelleher price wouldn't be far off the same, he did well this season.

Smith-Rowe isn't worth that kind of money tbf, he's started 3 league games in 2 years. Although I saw it was Nketiah we were tenuously linked (listed in a bunch of mid-table clubs, headed by Fulham) at that price. Also not worth that money as he isn't very good.

With Kelleher it would depend what we got for Sa, purely as it's a simple case of one in, one out.

Smith-Rowe isn't worth that kind of money tbf, he's started 3 league games in 2 years. Although I saw it was Nketiah we were tenuously linked (listed in a bunch of mid-table clubs, headed by Fulham) at that price. Also not worth that money as he isn't very good.

With Kelleher it would depend what we got for Sa, purely as it's a simple case of one in, one out.
I'm hoping for 2 in, 2 out in goal personally. Bentley is nowhere near good enough.

I'm hoping for 2 in, 2 out in goal personally. Bentley is nowhere near good enough.
Oh yeah, of course. But we should be able to find an acceptable back up keeper somewhere for <£5m, ie not much more than the kind of money we should be getting in if we sell all of Cundle, Campbell, Hodge, Lonwijk etc.

Smith-Rowe has still looked good in the bits he played towards the end of the season. I think he’s quality personally and well worth that money. I expect him to go somewhere else in London - West Ham or Fulham would be my guess.

Started vs Sheff Utd (October), Forest (January) and Luton (April) last season...other than that he never played more than 22 minutes in any league game (4 of his 10 sub appearances were under 10 minutes, 2 of them were either 0 minutes or 1 minute).

Didn't start a single league game in 2022/23.

You'd be crazy to throw £30m at someone with that track record, he has lots of ability but that's an awful record for gametime.

I think he’s been fit for a while though, the minutes being so limited because he couldn’t get in the team. I guess it’s a gamble that someone like us couldn’t afford even if we wanted to spend money anyway but I reckon he’ll go somewhere and do really well. Fitness depending his value should hold as well

Edit: yeah loan with an option feels like the best plan for anyone he ends up with

Back