• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Micro profit but profit nonetheless a 24 year old who is unlikely to impact our first team

Chiquinho
Podence
Hoever
Lembikisa
Cundle
Bolla
Hodge
Lonwijk
Campbell

That's 9 players that we should be looking to sell on for low but respectable fees this summer that had 0 impact on the first team last season. Then there's the players on the fringe of the team who probably aren't good enough that we should be looking to move on and Sarabia who will probably leave but will free up a big wage.

Sarabia
Bentley
H. Bueno
Doherty

Add that to the big fee that we'll receive for 1 (hopefully no more than that) of our first team players and given the profit we made last summer I think that should be enough to cover the losses we continue to make on Guedes/Silva/Kalajdzic AND fund the much needed squad rebuild. Especially if it's supplemented by a couple of smart free transfers and Mosquera coming back from loan.

The only question marks in the first team remain the Semedo contract situation, Sá potentially moving on who would need to be replaced by a quality player (hopefully more suitable to the style of play O'Neil prefers) and obviously replacing that one big name player.

We really should be in a decent position going into next season. We obviously need to recruit a high volume of players which is always a risk but we really shouldn't have any excuses not to give O'Neil a properly balanced squad ahead of a huge season. Unfortunately I have no faith in our leadership to be able to deliver that, the most likely scenario is that we do the majority of our business late in the window, sell more than 1 big name player, make a few panic signings and leave the squad with serious weaknesses in an attempt to scrape by with a minimum spend again.

Fuck Fosun.

I wouldn’t be selling Lonwijk or Lembikisa yet. Plenty of potential for them to grow further in the game and become more valuable to us, whether that’s playing for us or when being transferred.
Not against a loan for Hugo Bueno if we sign another left back.

That’s Neto’s strength too though?
Difficult to explain why but I see them differently, Neto is pace and skill which he can do from deep but also with trickery from a standing start. RAN is more about momentum when he's got the ball beating a man with pace and strength

Difficult to explain why but I see them differently, Neto is pace and skill which he can do from deep but also with trickery from a standing start. RAN is more about momentum when he's got the ball beating a man with pace and strength
I agree, I do seen RAN as potentially better able to get the ball in the box eventually. He is also great at keeping and moving the ball when given in a tight spot - that would work well up front. We’d lose a ton of pace though.

RAN looked better moved forwards towards the end of last season. When we put him back to LWB in the last couple of games he reverted back to average tbh.

He has the quick feet to go past people from any position, especially when pressed tightly. I think he'd do well pushed further forwards more permanently IMO so could completely get behind that and signing another LB, alongside moving Bueno on.

Like Cunha, RANs strength is running from deep and carrying the ball. He's not a left side forward imo
I agree he's not a left sided forward but from the right and given the right coaching he'd be superb. He needs to up his shooting but his passing and creativity is superb.

Wed have Cunha tucked in on the left side as he has done most of the season and RAN from the right.

We'd need 2 new wing backs for that to be truly effective.

It's pretty much what Glasner and Alonso are doing and I think it could work.

You'd think getting 2 wing backs (I think However is an option here even though others don't) is much cheaper than getting new attackers.

1 x LWB
1 x CB (somebody with organisation)

It's the cheapest of the cheap but then we are where we are.

Last edited:
RAN looked better moved forwards towards the end of last season. When we put him back to LWB in the last couple of games he reverted back to average tbh.

He has the quick feet to go past people from any position, especially when pressed tightly. I think he'd do well pushed further forwards more permanently IMO so could completely get behind that and signing another LB, alongside moving Bueno on.
We do miss him defensively when he's pushed forward though. He looked better in that position but the team looked worse for it.

We do miss him defensively when he's pushed forward though. He looked better in that position but the team looked worse for it.
So assuming we buy another half decent LB defensively we'd be ok doing it.

Back