• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

We sold Kilman early in the window yet in the final days were scrambling around for a CH after missing out on O’Shea for the sake of a couple of million. If the aging Dawson gets injured, which wouldn’t be a massive surprise, we’re relying on three centre backs with next to no PL experience in the centre of a back four. Some planning that is!
You don't know how serious we were about O'Shea and even if we had signed him, then there would be accusations that he was no better than what we have now. They just can't win can they? Fickle football fans falling for the media b/s or to criticise a situation to suit their own opinion.

But then I’d miss speaking to people with infinite knowledge and wisdom like yourself.
Never claimed to have infinite knowledge or wisdom.
Just offering a different perspective.

Anyway, I've watched three Prem games today, watched the cricket, caught up with the F1 and provided you all with some entertainment here. Someone else can take over... I'm off to the pool and grabbing an ale on the way. Cheers!

Never claimed to have infinite knowledge or wisdom.
Just offering a different perspective.

Anyway, I've watched three Prem games today, watched the cricket, caught up with the F1 and provided you all with some entertainment here. Someone else can take over... I'm off to the pool and grabbing an ale on the way. Cheers!
Beats a 2 hour car drive with 2 screaming toddlers just about

Every club buys some players well and sells them well. Every club has duds. It's football. We can't fucking buy everyone. Yet, it is most certainly held against the powers that be when someone else gets a player we were interested in.

Oh yeah totally, that was meant more as a follow-up to the comment about the erratic way we seemed to approach that summer. Lop had targets he wanted, then he had those revised targets, and then he left.

It's dot connections from me obviously but it's still something that I have a few niggling concerns around. I am mostly happy with the actual signings on paper as a cohort, but the actual reviewing of the process and how it came around I have some questions around the process.

When does the winter transfer thread 2025 open?

You think we'll get new owners that soon..?

There is a huge assumption that we wanted another CH because we sold Kilman. None of us are party to the discussions behind the scenes. Yes, I believe we would have liked another CH but only if the deal was right for us. We are not going out there to just sign anyone. We made inquiries and nothing happened that worked for us.

The owners are getting criticised here for not opening the cheque book, or not opening it enough. The fact is, none of us knows the actual situation. For all we know, they may well have decided we have enough to get us through to January and meanwhile, they will work on getting a deal into place.

Sure, we could have signed a CH but would that player have been better than what we have already? Debatable.
Well our manager wanted one! I think that’s proof enough we wanted one. We are now extremely reliant on RAN and Dawson staying fit because the drop of from them to their replacements is enormous

What is important is that we get players we identify during the window.
And that's exactly what didn't happen. The manager has said he's now had to re-evaluate the way we play because we couldn't get the targets they wanted. That's a failure whichever way you want to spin it.

Signing a load of players who might turn out to be really good doesn't paper over that. We have massive deficiencies in our defence that GON now needs to patch up by playing a different way than he spent the whole pre-season planning for.

And that's exactly what didn't happen. The manager has said he's now had to re-evaluate the way we play because we couldn't get the targets they wanted. That's a failure whichever way you want to spin it.

Signing a load of players who might turn out to be really good doesn't paper over that. We have massive deficiencies in our defence that GON now needs to patch up by playing a different way than he spent the whole pre-season planning for.
First manager / Head Coach in history who didn't get what he wanted.

First manager / Head Coach in history who didn't get what he wanted.
And we only had a month and £90m burning a hole in our pockets to buy a decent defender. Easy to see why that would make it difficult.

Alex Telles now available on a free. You know, I actually wouldn't put it past Jeff. He loves a flick back in his contacts book from 2017.

Back