• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

And yet, we have signed Cunha, Bellegarde, Bueno, Traore, Gonzalez, Doc, King, Doyle, Lemina x 2, Meupiyou, Lima, R Gomes, Johnstone, Andre, Larsen, Forbs and probably one or two others I've missed in that time. Obviously Fosun aren't supporting the club.
Fucking comedy central here sometimes.
It's not about numbers it's how we do it.

Doc and King were freebies and all we could afford as our budget was £0...ZERO.
The rest of that window was because Jeff freed up part of the Nunes cash.

Using Lemina Jr Jr is a bit of a strange one. We needed forwards...we signed Lemina's little bro on loan to try and help Mario and his family through a tough period.

This summer we did buy early, then we couldn't afford O'Shea or Ramsdale despite a large chunk of money available.
We then spent £20m on a player.

We (well Jeff) change the transfer approach week by week, day by day. It's a taps on, taps off approach that helps no one.

Let's look at last summer. Season ended and Lops was told, sorry can't sign your main targets but we can look at cheaper options,maybe from the Championship.
He wants Scott...we bid and looks like it will be accepted. Player happy and ready to join...but then "actually your budget is zero" we sign 2 freebies, one of which isn't even a 2nd choice keeper and the other to test the mental health of a few fans.
If Nunes doesn't go...that would be it. Imagine that.
He did go and 2 of the players are part of that deal via the City group.

Using Lemina Jr Jr is a bit of a strange one. We needed forwards...we signed Lemina's little bro on loan to try and help Mario and his family through a tough period.

This summer we did buy early, then we couldn't afford O'Shea or Ramsdale despite a large chunk of money available.

We (well Jeff) change the transfer approach week by week, day by day. It's a taps on, taps off approach that helps no one.

Let's look at last summer. Season ended and Lops was told, sorry can't sign your main targets but we can look at cheaper options,maybe from the Championship.
He wants Scott...we bid and looks like it will be accepted. Player happy and ready to join...but then "actually your budget is zero" we sign 2 freebies, one of which isn't even a 2nd choice keeper and the other to test the mental health of a few fans.
Exactly this. It’s the erratic nature from feast to famine. Just seems no structure or consistency. Ironically abit like us on the pitch currently.

So,"how we do it", still has meant we have signed a lot of players. Mistakes were made, no doubt, but our progress since Hobbs was appointed has been better. We have still had to be cautious mind but that was because of the previous mistakes.

GON & Hobbs have both said that if the right player becomes available, a la Andre, then we will buy. Seems the owners get plenty of stick but no actual credit when they do get a player in. We have bought loads of decent players in this window. Yes, there are still squad issues at LB and CB but generally, I think they've done well.

Similar to Scott last season we also had the Retegui deal ready didn't we? Until some issue involving our financing or structure of the deal, back fired that as despite both being prolific he looks decent and already moved on for more money higher up.

Exactly this. It’s the erratic nature from feast to famine. Just seems no structure or consistency. Ironically abit like us on the pitch currently.
The past mistakes caught up with us and there was a period of time when we had to address that. That's why it seems like feast to famine. The lack of understanding in that regard is amazing.

Similar to Scott last season we also had the Retegui deal ready didn't we? Until some issue involving our financing or structure of the deal, back fired that as despite both being prolific he looks decent and already moved on for more money higher up.
Every club buys some players well and sells them well. Every club has duds. It's football. We can't fucking buy everyone. Yet, it is most certainly held against the powers that be when someone else gets a player we were interested in.

So,"how we do it", still has meant we have signed a lot of players
Aces.....unless you are GO and set up everything for the summer based on the type of players he wanted and expected, only not to get them because they cost too much and have to change how we set up in the final week as we won't sign players he wants and then spend money we previously refused.

We can sign 20 players a summer but for me, we need to have a plan set from Day 1 and carry it through to the final day.
Not this money, no money, bit of money.....no money...ahh have a bit then. That is bollocks and amateur hour stuff.

The past mistakes caught up with us and there was a period of time when we had to address that. That's why it seems like feast to famine. The lack of understanding in that regard is amazing.
With respect, you’re arguing the turning the taps on and off isn’t a thing. That’s exactly what has happened this window, surely? Buying players early (tap on) the nothing for weeks (tap off) last couple of days splurge (tap on). Or you disagree.

I don’t think anyone is denying past mistakes? And past mistakes doesn’t excuse us waiting until last couple of days to go and buy again?

Aces.....unless you are GO and set up everything for the summer based on the type of players he wanted and expected, only not to get them because they cost too much and have to change how we set up in the final week as we won't sign players he wants and then spend money we previously refused.

We can sign 20 players a summer but for me, we need to have a plan set from Day 1 and carry it through to the final day.
Not this money, no money, bit of money.....no money...ahh have a bit then. That is bollocks and amateur hour stuff.
Well, none of us knows what he wanted and what he got. From his comments it certainly sounds like we missed one or two. However, that is football in general. Even the top clubs miss targets. Newcastle missed out on their number 1 target. Hardly signed anyone.

Football is always changing. An injury can change things, suspensions can change things.... so while you may have an idea of a plan from Day 1, it is a fluid situation and the best coaches and players are those who adapt the quickest to any given situation.

For me, it seems dead easy to level criticism at the owners or the recruitment team and there doesn't seem to be any understanding of the issues they face. So, "amateur" hour is basically bollocks as far as I'm concerned as on the balance of things, I think we have managed things pretty well since our big mistakes and we have signed some decent players. "Amateur" hour could well be leveled at Everton mind. A true basket case of a club.

With respect, you’re arguing the turning the taps on and off isn’t a thing. That’s exactly what has happened this window, surely? Buying players early (tap on) the nothing for weeks (tap off) last couple of days splurge (tap on). Or you disagree.

I don’t think anyone is denying past mistakes? And past mistakes doesn’t excuse us waiting until last couple of days to go and buy again?

So what you're saying is we should buy players every day, week, month that the window is open? This is a total lack of understanding of how the market works. There are many factors that come into play and a lot of work that goes into making a transfer happen. As I said, a fluid situation and always exasperated as the transfer window shuts. What is important is that we get players we identify during the window.

Look at the Sterling situation. Chelsea decide late on they don't want him after leading him to believe he was important to them. A situation that changed literally within a week or so. Arsenal then step in at the last moment. Sancho another example.

The tap opens when two clubs find a deal they are happy with and when the player decides he fancies the move. It sometimes takes time to get everyone on the same page.

I'll leave you to it as you are answering with points that don't address where I am coming from.

If you are happy, cool. Nowt more to discuss is there

A succession plan is difficult to do in football but I think we have something of that in place with the youngsters we have been signing.
We sold Kilman early in the window yet in the final days were scrambling around for a CH after missing out on O’Shea for the sake of a couple of million. If the aging Dawson gets injured, which wouldn’t be a massive surprise, we’re relying on three centre backs with next to no PL experience in the centre of a back four. Some planning that is!

So what you're saying is we should buy players every day, week, month that the window is open? This is a total lack of understanding of how the market works. There are many factors that come into play and a lot of work that goes into making a transfer happen. As I said, a fluid situation and always exasperated as the transfer window shuts. What is important is that we get players we identify during the window.

Look at the Sterling situation. Chelsea decide late on they don't want him after leading him to believe he was important to them. A situation that changed literally within a week or so. Arsenal then step in at the last moment. Sancho another example.

The tap opens when two clubs find a deal they are happy with and when the player decides he fancies the move. It sometimes takes time to get everyone on the same page.
Il let you re read my comment as that’s clearly not what I’ve said.

I mean, I can exaggerate things to suit me agenda also, if you’d prefer 🤣

We sold Kilman early in the window yet in the final days were scrambling around for a CH after missing out on O’Shea for the sake of a couple of million. If the aging Dawson gets injured, which wouldn’t be a massive surprise, we’re relying on three centre backs with next to no PL experience in the centre of a back four. Some planning that is!
There is a huge assumption that we wanted another CH because we sold Kilman. None of us are party to the discussions behind the scenes. Yes, I believe we would have liked another CH but only if the deal was right for us. We are not going out there to just sign anyone. We made inquiries and nothing happened that worked for us.

The owners are getting criticised here for not opening the cheque book, or not opening it enough. The fact is, none of us knows the actual situation. For all we know, they may well have decided we have enough to get us through to January and meanwhile, they will work on getting a deal into place.

Sure, we could have signed a CH but would that player have been better than what we have already? Debatable.

Il let you re read my comment as that’s clearly not what I’ve said.

I mean, I can exaggerate things to suit me agenda also, if you’d prefer 🤣
What exactly did you want?
A player signed each day, week or month of the transfer window?

We signed three players when the window opened. We signed players towards the close of the window. I don't see anything wrong with that. I do understand that things change in football.

What exactly did you want?
A player signed each day, week or month of the transfer window?

We signed three players when the window opened. We signed players towards the close of the window. I don't see anything wrong with that. I do understand that things change in football.

I wanted a player signed every 47 minutes.

I don’t understand things change in football. Must be where I’m going wrong

Back