• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Why would Cunha be injured so often?
Slight exaggeration on my part, however last year he played 32 games. Started 29 and was a sub for 3. Given we were always very cautious bringing him back from injury (assuming he wasn’t ’fully fit’) that’s 9 games he didn’t start. 1 was missed through suspension, so 8 games injury impacted him.

I know some Palace fans preferred him to Henderson, I think he’s fine but just not really what we need considering how tight we’re being

Well yeah if Sa goes for similar or more money then it’s fine I guess, a possible slight upgrade, home grown player and a little bit of profit but we still have gaping holes in the squad

Slight exaggeration on my part, however last year he played 32 games. Started 29 and was a sub for 3. Given we were always very cautious bringing him back from injury (assuming he wasn’t ’fully fit’) that’s 9 games he didn’t start. 1 was missed through suspension, so 8 games injury impacted him.
That was more to do with GoN flogging him and most of the first XI to death and not using his already thin squad properly.

That was a learning curve I hope he's got to the top of.

That was more to do with GoN flogging him and most of the first XI to death and not using his already thin squad properly.

That was a learning curve I hope he's got to the top of.
Yeah fair point. Maybe having the copious amount of wingers/wide forwards mean he won’t be flogged to the death.

However if we’re struggling which a lot of people seem to think we will be, isn’t he more likely to keep leaning on his best players and ‘flogging’ them?

Yeah fair point. Maybe having the copious amount of wingers/wide forwards mean he won’t be flogged to the death.

However if we’re struggling which a lot of people seem to think we will be, isn’t he more likely to keep leaning on his best players and ‘flogging’ them?
I think we have a stronger squad now and I'd hope he has learnt to use his squad better as you get better results.

Starting Bellegarde, Doc and Hwang in a formation that suits none of them suggests he hasn't.

Palace fans really like him.

“A professional player and a premier league keeper”

“Too good to be sat on the bench, someone will get a top keeper, hope we can replace him”

Johnstone had one of the worst sets of metrics overall last season for keepers in top leagues in many categories and he seemed to reflect that when I saw him play, so not sure what Palace fans are defining as a top keeper.

My big concern is that included his starting position being very deep and almost never engaging with the ball or the play outside the box. For me, I felt we needed a keeper more aggressive than Sa that will push up, not someone who is less comfortable doing that. I am a big Roy Hodgson fan and appreciate he plays an extremely compact system that will have impacted the opportunity to do so for SJ, but recent history would indicate you are unlikely to improve on your keeper spot for the money we have paid, when purchasing within league. Hope to be wrong, and overall if this is the keeper situation come the end of the window that is an improvement overall as Bentley and King was a clear concern in preseason and the biggest worry as backups for any of the positions.

Last edited:
Has Johnstone worked with Cutler before?

Has Johnstone worked with Cutler before?

looks like they had a short overlap at West Brom yes. Cutler was there from January 2018 to Nov 2018. I am hoping it's a case of they have idenfitied that Johnstone hasn't been playing higher, than can't play higher. I feel he is too slow for it and so naturally regresses deeper, but that's just my analysis on him. This is making me want to revive the Goal Keeper power rankings.

I wouldn't know Andre from Adam, but I like what I'm reading about him and how he might sit in the team.

No excuse for failing to replace Kilman, obviously, but seems like a wise investment nevertheless.

No excuse for failing to replace Kilman
Club will roll out Mosquera replaces Max and the French lad will be 5th choice with an eye on replacing Dawson in the future.

Truth is, we wouldn't pay for an experienced CB with zero chance to make a profit in 12-24 months time.

Yep, also like what I've read and one of my best mates (a keen Liverpool supporter) was saying extremely positive stuff about him last night.

I was watching a highlights package of Jose Sa's best saves for Wolves yesterday, and the majority of them came from situations where Joao Gomes lost possession and left us exposed. Clearly Gomes is a huge talent & extremely important to us, but if Andre can come in and shield both Gomes/Lemina, allowing them to play a bit further up without leaving us completely open whenever they lose possession, and at the same time offering some protection to the back 4 without needing us to switch back to the comfort blanket of a 5, it might be a very astute signing.

One thing I will say, he sounds like a card machine.

Back