• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

That's Hobbs and GO more than Fosun aye it?
No idea on the player to be honest, but as much as I like Gomes and lemina, they are incredibly easy to play through. We can point fingers at the defence but we’re hardly a sure thing middle of the park. Maybe looking more down the 433 route and feel they need that third centre mid?

Parking all the transfer stuff as it's the choice of the wankers above hin and done to death has he not had all summer to find a structure?

You can't always control all variables so focus on the ones you can, ie. Tactics and style.

Has he spent all summer scratching his arse or what?

Parking all the transfer stuff as it's the choice of the wankers above hin and done to death has he not had all summer to find a structure?

You can't always control all variables so focus on the ones you can, ie. Tactics and style.

Has he spent all summer scratching his arse or what?
They didn't back Nuno when he asked for more investment with transfers, they didn't do it at all for Lage, they went "sure....nope" to Lop in his time here.

So these comments by GON are no surprise, they're basically a right of passage at Wolves.

Hobbs South American passion projects are the new Mendes carousel. It doesn't matter about fit or team needs, as long as he can say this guy will make us profit down the line. Thing is it wouldn't even matter having biases/preferences if they were doing all the other stuff competently.

The one position we actually had decent depth in, we now have...more? After spending the last few weeks crying poor over transfer budgets. They're so frustrating/confusing trying to work out.

Some nice excuses out before the weekend I don’t buy it at all

Gaz says he expects Guedes & Podence to stay - so we’re not getting a new winger then. You can put that down as another failure for the recruitment team, Hobbs & Shi.

Also seen some suggestions that the signing of Andre signals the end of our pursuit for a new centre back, as we’re going to change tactics/set up anyway (which Gaz’s comments posted above also indicate)

We’ll be switching to 4-3-3 by the looks of it.

Gaz says he expects Guedes & Podence to stay - so we’re not getting a new winger then. You can put that down as another failure for the recruitment team, Hobbs & Shi.

Also seen some suggestions that the signing of Andre signals the end of our pursuit for a new centre back, as we’re going to change tactics/set up anyway (which Gaz’s comments posted above also indicate)

Or back to 3 at the back with Santi and the young French kid backing them up.

Could even be 3-5-2 with Larsen and Cunha and Guedes and Hwang backing those two up.

If so it still seems odd that we'd get another CDM type player when we already have 2 good ones

Now I don't think Jeff Shi is in any way competent but not even the recruitment team can make people pay for players they don't need or want.

We do have a ludicrous amount of wide players and we're not Chelsea.

I'd like Koleosho too but having Cunha, R.Gomes, Pod, Guedes, Chiquinho and Bellegarde to play wide or inside forwards is a lot of people for 2 places.

That's before you get to GoN's bizarre use of Hwang out wide. A role he is suited to like you are to the NBA*

Hwang should be back up for a STR spot but Guedes looks like he had that for now.

*I know this is a cheap gag and I apologise.

If so it still seems odd that we'd get another CDM type player when we already have 2 good ones
Depends on the type of player, though. All well and good having bodies but if they’re not fit for purpose.

If he’s wanting a mobile 3 in the middle then Doyle isn’t the answer, for example

I said to Johnny on Sunday that if we could sign a 6 to sit in front of the back four and offer more protection then that would be a good way forward. Means Lemina and Gomes can continue to play more box to box and go hunting/pressing aggressively.

Probably means we can sit a little deeper and negate the lack of pace for Dawson alongside Mosquera. Dawson was fantastic tonight.

I’m also happy for Guedes to be in the squad if he plays like he did tonight. I had written him off but on tonight’s performance he looks way more up for it and is actually looking like a player we should have spent money on. Long way to go yet with him but promising none the less.

If they are staying, then I can see why we won’t be signing another winger to be fair.

Would still want another centre back though, irrelevant of whether Andre signs or not

No idea on the player to be honest, but as much as I like Gomes and lemina, they are incredibly easy to play through. We can point fingers at the defence but we’re hardly a sure thing middle of the park. Maybe looking more down the 433 route and feel they need that third centre mid?
I have to call this out as a specific quirk/flaw of O’Neil’s system. I don’t think that it’s an inherent issue with either player. It’s what they’re asked to do that renders them as such.

Back