• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

I said to Johnny on Sunday that if we could sign a 6 to sit in front of the back four and offer more protection then that would be a good way forward. Means Lemina and Gomes can continue to play more box to box and go hunting/pressing aggressively.
I still think that leaves you a little light on creativity in the middle. Neither are terrible on the ball, but also aren't known for opening teams up with their passing or going beyond the forward

I still think that leaves you a little light on creativity in the middle. Neither are terrible on the ball, but also aren't known for opening teams up with their passing or going beyond the forward
I don’t disagree but equally I don’t see any other sustainable way forward with the way the squad is currently built.

I also think Lemina and Gomes can be more creative with less defensive responsibility.

With Doyle/Boubacar in reserve.

I have to call this out as a specific quirk/flaw of O’Neil’s system. I don’t think that it’s an inherent issue with either player. It’s what they’re asked to do that renders them as such.
Yeah you could well be right, as I don’t get how easy we are to play through with them both in the middle. Both agile, not as if they get caught ahead of the ball continuously. Etc.

Point being whether it is the players, or GoN tactics, it still needs sorting. If Andre makes us more difficult to play through, will have a knock on effect and should by default improve us defensively.

I feel they do get caught ahead of the ball quite often but I respect your point.

I feel they do get caught ahead of the ball quite often but I respect your point.
Yeah I’ve not worded it well to be fair. I guess I mean we don’t have 2 mids who’s legs have gone, and there first thought is to get forward. If that makes more sense?

Anyway, I know what I mean 🤣

I can see a 4-1-2-3 type of formation coming from this and that can quickly convert to 3-1-4-2 when necessary.

As Johnny has alluded to - an issue with 4-3-3 is if fit, Cunha and Strand Larsen are taking two of those front three spots pretty much every time (our best player + our only actual striker). Which only leaves one space for a LOT of players (R Gomes, Hwang, Sarabia, Bellegarde, Chiquinho, Podence and Guedes). It's a pretty inefficient use of the squad.

Maybe it looks different in the ground, but from watching on screen, it always seems like when we have the ball both FBs are given licence to push on quite high leaving Lemina to drop in to help the defence. If he gets caught forward as well we are absolutely wide open with just 2 at the back. We also give the ball away so much when trying to play out from the back. I'm sure there was a stat last season where we had conceded goals doing it way, way, way more than any other side. We are bad at it.

Assuming Podence leaves permanently and Chiquinho goes out on loan again it's still 5 players for one position too.

Didn't we have an offer for Sarabia earlier in the window. He's on massive wages so wouldn't be averse to letting him leave either.

Bellegarde would assumedly backup the central midfield along with Traore as an attacking sub.

That makes it a more manageable Gomes/Hwang/Guedes for that final attacking spot, which Gomes should take with Hwang/Guedes covering the other two.

If Podence were very close to a move and knowing how much our owners/chairman simply love receiving a novelty oversized cheque for any player, he would not have played 90 minutes and risked an injury à la Bouba.

He might end up leaving but I don't think he's clearing out his locker at 9am tomorrow morning.

If Sarabia were going to go then it would have happened by now and no-one else is paying his wages.

I'd be quite happy to see Sarabia, Bellegarde and Podence leave this week.... "loads of money"...or not.

So, it seems that Andre is it for our business? Madness that, having sold a CB & RW, our only significant signings are a GK, LW & CM.

As Johnny has alluded to - an issue with 4-3-3 is if fit, Cunha and Strand Larsen are taking two of those front three spots pretty much every time (our best player + our only actual striker). Which only leaves one space for a LOT of players (R Gomes, Hwang, Sarabia, Bellegarde, Chiquinho, Podence and Guedes). It's a pretty inefficient use of the squad.
That’s a big if though. Cunha will likely miss around 10 games through injury. Your point still stands though.

Back