• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

From a fosun way of thinking, we've got at least 4 players in the squad who will attract big bucks (relative to what we paid) if / when sell them. Gomes, RAN, Lima and now Andre
Come now... Guedes should be on the list with his brace ... and who knows his value if he gets a third?

Andre is a good signing then. Definitely can't rely solely on Lemina/Gomes as the DMs in every game.

He's highly rated and in isolation I'd be pleased but I don't understand how they can commit so much money to a central midfield player when there are gaping holes elsewhere and we don't seemingly have much available to address them

From a fosun way of thinking, we've got at least 4 players in the squad who will attract big bucks (relative to what we paid) if / when sell them. Gomes, RAN, Lima and now Andre

I know many won't agree, but I personally have no issue with this. If done sustainably and around not just existing for this. As a strategy to make money to further invest and get good players on the rise. As long as it benefits Wolves.

He's highly rated and in isolation I'd be pleased but I don't understand how they can commit so much money to a central midfield player when there are gaping holes elsewhere and we don't seemingly have much available to address them
I was thinking we'd be selling Gomes and then going on mad trolley dash at the end of the window

I know many won't agree, but I personally have no issue with this. If done sustainably and around not just existing for this. As a strategy to make money to further invest and get good players on the rise. As long as it benefits Wolves.
Its hard not to, the football food chain means good players will be bought by the biggest clubs

Yep. Investing in a player that they can make a big profit on in a couple of years, but in the meantime, fuck the balance of the squad.

Athletic going with we are being cautious on his signing. Other clubs still interested but he is heading over for his medical.

I always thought the rule was clubs were allowed to lose £5m per season, unless the owners were covering the losses, in which case clubs could lose £35m per season.

I'm certain we're in the former camp.
It's just not a feasible business plan is it?

It would be great if our owners were willing to lose £35m every year and happy to write it off...

But obviously they're not, and nor should they be. Whoever owns the club should be looking to run it at a profit (breaking even would be ideal, but we're not a charity).

There's plenty of reasons to be upset with Fosun of late. Not being happy to operate at a loss isn't one of them.

It's just not a feasible business plan is it?

It would be great if our owners were willing to lose £35m every year and happy to write it off...

But obviously they're not, and nor should they be. Whoever owns the club should be looking to run it at a profit (breaking even would be ideal, but we're not a charity).

There's plenty of reasons to be upset with Fosun of late. Not being happy to operate at a loss isn't one of them.
The problem is that most, if not all, of our competitors will do exactly that which puts us at a disadvantage.

£69m transfer profit last season, currently £53m profit this season (including the Johnstone deal.)

£122m sitting there burning a hole in Jeff's pocket that we apparently can't spend because of "REASONS".

With amortisation over 5 year contracts we could sign any number of players for decent fees if we wanted to. Which we don't.
Are we all ignoring the £67m loss made year ending May 31, 2023?

The problem is that most, if not all, of our competitors will do exactly that which puts us at a disadvantage.
In the short term certainly. And maybe in the long term if flaunting the rules is allowed to go unpunished.

Its hard not to, the football food chain means good players will be bought by the biggest clubs

Yeah but in general it seems something a lot of our fans in particular hate. The idea that "now he has left Wolves I won't even accept he is a person anymore."

Personally I would accept greater turnover of players if it meant it made us more attractive. Come home and play for us and improve us and we won't stand in your way. As long as the fees are right.

Back