• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

If we accept finances are difficult, why are we bothering?

Get Bentley involved going the other way and with a young pup as back up.

Sounds like we’ve had our head turned by some cash from Saudi for Sa.
Presuming Arsenal will want all his wages covered and maybe a loan fee.

Sa and Podence... All that lovely money though, eh?

Presuming Arsenal will want all his wages covered and maybe a loan fee.
Every Arsenal fan in the comments on The Athletic article want an obligation to buy, rather than an option - and all his wages covered. £120k a week mooted.

Anyone know what Sa is on?

Prediction:
"Wolves accept £15m bid for Sa"
"Wolves fail in loan bid for Ramsdale"
"Wolves fail to get late move for Johnstone secured before deadline"
"Wolves boss happy with Dan Bentley as new number 1 at the club"

Every Arsenal fan in the comments on The Athletic article want an obligation to buy, rather than an option - and all his wages covered. £120k a week mooted.

Anyone know what Sa is on?
Probably half that

Profit over what period?
If Wolves made £150m profit then Fosun could take the lot.

As long as it didn't leave the company in distress there nothing anybody could do about it.

If they don't find a buyer that's exactly what I think will happen, they'll then sell it for £1 as it won't matter at that point.

In theory, this could be good.

We get money for Sa, and a superior replacement for zero investment in Ramsdale.

Thus putting about £15-20m immediately into the transfer pot for this window.

I did say “in theory”.

In theory, this could be good.

We get money for Sa, and a superior replacement for zero investment in Ramsdale.

Thus putting about £15-20m immediately into the transfer pot for this window.

I did say “in theory”.

Ramsdale being superior to Sa is debatable and his previous antics and allegiances to Albion will mean he gets a very short leash. I wouldn't touch this deal.

Ramsdale being superior to Sa is debatable and his previous antics and allegiances to Albion will mean he gets a very short leash. I wouldn't touch this deal.

I hear you on the Albion antics but I was around when we signed a cheap centre forward off them once upon a time……that didn’t turn out too bad.

Happy to debate all day long that he’s a better keeper than Sa.

Especially after Saturday. Again.

You also get measured on dividend cover as a measure of financial stability in a normal company. And that is the ratio between reserves and the dividend you propose.

Plus dividends gave to be approved by shareholders before they are paid.

Of course we are 100% owned so the second is moot.

I’m fucking glad I am the other side of the world. Doubt I shall watch a minute of us this season.

Comes back to the point why make statements 12 months ago about being more competitive in the transfer window then not delivering.
It’s not sensible business to run the risk of losing your yearly £100m cash cow.
The policy of sell big buy cheap gets you so far until it all dries up.
Only answer I can give is in the numbers.

2016-17 - £23M loss
2017-18 - £57.16M loss
2018-19 - £19.96M profit
2019-20 - £39.3M loss
2020-21 - £18.4M profit
2021-22 - £46M loss
2022-23 - £67M loss

Make of it what you will.

Last edited:
you need positive ‘distributable reserves’. you could make a profit in the year but if your P&L reserve is still negative due to past losses, you can’t pay a div.

Just to add, the P&L reserve in the club per 2023 accounts is a £193m loss so even if it made £150m profit this year it’s not paying any dividends…. But, these losses are funded, and I’ve said before, it’s done through loans which until they are converted to equity they’re repayable (a caveat being going concern position requiring a repayment waiver from any sensible director). So any cash coming in could pay off loans, and the footie club owed £223m to group companies in those 2023 accounts. So that would be the route for any funds extraction.

I hear you on the Albion antics but I was around when we signed a cheap centre forward off them once upon a time……that didn’t turn out too bad.

Happy to debate all day long that he’s a better keeper than Sa.

Especially after Saturday. Again.

I don't think Ramsdale is a good enough upgrade on Sa, although he is better than Johnstone so that's a plus at least.

I don't know what Ramsdale would have offered differently on Saturday either in regards to the goals conceded. He probably doesn't try to come for the first due to being smaller and I am not sure that's would prevent it.

Back