• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

I’ve speculated before whether Fosun are trying to hang in the PL as long as possible whilst spending the bare minimum but accepting that relegation is inevitable, at which point they sell all remaining players worth more than a few bob and that way recoup their investment without having to worry about selling the club. Obviously they’d get something for it but selling RAN, Cunha, Gomes and a few others would recoup a good proportion of their £250m.

See I don't think it's even this. They have put too much into their other branding avenues and whatnot to just suddenly not have the team or the link between all that, also when relegation did look a concern suddenly they found signings. I do think it's just some sort of misguided idea of being different to the other teams.

See I don't think it's even this. They have put too much into their other branding avenues and whatnot to just suddenly not have the team or the link between all that, also when relegation did look a concern suddenly they found signings. I do think it's just some sort of misguided idea of being different to the other teams.
I think you’re almost certainly correct. As I said I was simply speculating but if they do want to sell and can’t find a buyer at the price they want it could be an alternative approach.

Would Fosun care - just cut investment and slide down the leagues taking parachute payments as they go? If they’ve got their investment back plus some and only view it as a business why would they care?

They can't take money out like that and it wouldn't cover what they're 'owed' anyway.

Inwant to.know whatbthe Supporters trust think and what questions they are asking.

This is now complete fucking Bullshit

Surely owners can take dividends- isn’t that exactly what the Glazers have been doing for years?
Dividends can only be taken from companies which make a profit. It's illegal otherwise, as I understand it (I'm not saying we aren't making a profit, we could absolutely pay dividends if the board decided to)

There are other ways though, high interest loans as an example

Last edited:
Dividends can only be taken from companies which make a profit. It's illegal otherwise, as I understand it

There are other ways though, high interest loans as an example
Profit over what period?

I think it's even more simplistic. The goal posts moved after they purchased us. They financed us initially and had great success. Then we started to see ridiculous fees for very average players and they decided to take a punt and got badly burned. They've now realised we can't compete with at least 6 clubs financially and that means we won't compete on the playing field. In essence, any ambition they had has been erased.

So, they do what any sensible business person would do and stay in their lane. Problem is, this is football and football clubs have supporters who can never be satisfied.

And no, this is not a political party broadcast on behalf of Fosun. I think they've fucked up in several areas over the last 4 years but they have also given us some exciting times. Sadly, those times have come to an end and we are now a selling club with little ambition.

Well after the sales of Kilman and Neto there must be some cash knocking about? Clearly not on an MU scale but in principle they could take a dividend.
Depends how the deals were structured. If we did another Jota type of deal, then we royally fucked ourselves.

I think it's even more simplistic. The goal posts moved after they purchased us. They financed us initially and had great success. Then we started to see ridiculous fees for very average players and they decided to take a punt and got badly burned. They've now realised we can't compete with at least 6 clubs financially and that means we won't compete on the playing field. In essence, any ambition they had has been erased.

So, they do what any sensible business person would do and stay in their lane. Problem is, this is football and football clubs have supporters who can never be satisfied.

And no, this is not a political party broadcast on behalf of Fosun. I think they've fucked up in several areas over the last 4 years but they have also given us some exciting times. Sadly, those times have come to an end and we are now a selling club with little ambition.

Comes back to the point why make statements 12 months ago about being more competitive in the transfer window then not delivering.
It’s not sensible business to run the risk of losing your yearly £100m cash cow.
The policy of sell big buy cheap gets you so far until it all dries up.

Back