• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

We'd probably have 1 or 2 years of minimal spending with parachute payments in an attempt to fluke promotion. After that we'd just become a ghost club like Swansea.
At that point Fosun would have to consider us a spent asset in their portfolio and they'd likely sell at a halfway reasonable price. And you might get someone decent instead. You might also get someone even worse.

It's all so stupid though. Did all the hard work, laid a platform none of us would realistically have dreamed of inside four years, then burned the lot with bad decision after bad decision.

It's not about points deductions. We're in no danger of that happening at all.
I never suggested we are. I'm saying even though they've been hit with them Forest aren't changing their approach.

Meanwhile Jeff Shi shits himself if he thinks we might make a loss in the accounts.

No Coady in the Leicester squad tonight.

Cheap wages and PL experience.

Didn’t want Joe Gomez anyway.

Meanwhile Jeff Shi shits himself if we make a loss in the accounts.
Not really, we haven't run at a profit in any normal year under Fosun since 2019 (we sort of did in 2021 but it was a Covid-related accountancy quirk).

Losing money isn't a problem to a point and they aren't doing it because they're scared we can't pay the milkman. They're doing it because Jeff Shi doesn't know how to run a football club and no-one above him in the Fosun hierarchy cares.

Shi has left me completely ambivalent about the club I've followed for 34 years. Not angry anymore, not concerned. Sign players, don't sign them, stay up, go down I'm wildly indifferent.

Wolverhampton born and bred, attended hundreds of games, traveled countless thousands of miles on the road following them, me hating working matchdays, as from kick off till FT my productivity would drop like a stone as I checked Twitter etc to not checking for scores at all on Saturday and still not watching MOTD/highlights two and some days later. Conversations with the other half about finding a new interest to fill the gap that Wolves has left behind.

This forum is about the only thing keeping my hand in at the moment.

Up the fucking Wolve.

Not really, we haven't run at a profit in any normal year under Fosun since 2019 (we sort of did in 2021 but it was a Covid-related accountancy quirk).

Losing money isn't a problem to a point and they aren't doing it because they're scared we can't pay the milkman. They're doing it because Jeff Shi doesn't know how to run a football club and no-one above him in the Fosun hierarchy cares.
The past few seasons he's done nothing but warn everyone about complying with FFP and tightening our belts because of those losses.

The past few seasons he's done nothing but warn everyone about complying with FFP and tightening our belts because of those losses.
Yes but he's telling fibs.

He isn't really worried about that.

Lopetegui, whatever else you think of him, had the measure of Fosun. We're now well into that phase of the ownership cycle where Fosun want their money back and, if possible, flip the club for a profit. Forget building a team capable of winning anything, it isn't going to happen under these owners. I think it was fun to while it lasted though.

We're now well into that phase of the ownership cycle where Fosun want their money back and, if possible, flip the club for a profit.
Well there is no chance of either of those things happening. I mean they'll get back what they originally handed Steve Morgan. Not what they've spent since.

We've been effectively for sale for at least two years. I'd have more takers if I put a broken garden chair on Gumtree.

I’ve speculated before whether Fosun are trying to hang in the PL as long as possible whilst spending the bare minimum but accepting that relegation is inevitable, at which point they sell all remaining players worth more than a few bob and that way recoup their investment without having to worry about selling the club. Obviously they’d get something for it but selling RAN, Cunha, Gomes and a few others would recoup a good proportion of their £250m.

Well there is no chance of either of those things happening. I mean they'll get back what they originally handed Steve Morgan. Not what they've spent since.

We've been effectively for sale for at least two years. I'd have more takers if I put a broken garden chair on Gumtree.
Yeah. Probably still a few oligarchs, sheikhs, or "consortiums" out there fancying themselves as the owner of a Premier League club. Just not one in Wolverhampton.

I’ve speculated before whether Fosun are trying to hang in the PL as long as possible whilst spending the bare minimum but accepting that relegation is inevitable, at which point they sell all remaining players worth more than a few bob and that way recoup their investment without having to worry about selling the club. Obviously they’d get something for it but selling RAN, Cunha, Gomes and a few others would recoup a good proportion of their £250m.
Championship clubs without investment / players to sell lose money though and nobody is going to buy one that's been asset stripped

I think if we were in the national league north under Fosun you’d still find supporters of them.
Basically the attitude I’m seeing is they’ve put so much in and taken little out and are hamstrung by PSR.
Firstly they’re not, secondly don’t release BS statements telling us it’ll be rosey gardens in 12 months.
Thirdly their own fuck ups have led to this situation. ie having crap football people in charge of football decisions.

Championship clubs without investment / players to sell lose money though and nobody is going to buy one that's been asset stripped
Would Fosun care - just cut investment and slide down the leagues taking parachute payments as they go? If they’ve got their investment back plus some and only view it as a business why would they care?

I will stand by my view that Fosun pulled the bridge up when their Government fully withdrew their support of football and Chinese companies spending money outside of their country.

I don't think they want to sell us off but do want a set up where they own a chunk but someone else does the hard work.

Would be nice though if they could bin Shi and replace him with someone with an ounce of football business knowledge.

Back