• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Yep, you have conflated the 2. Jota's fee wasn't loaded with add ons, the issue was the payment was spread over 4 or 5 seasons with little up front.
Maybe I haven’t explained myself correctly, as that’s not what I mean.

My understanding is with Jota (figures may not be correct) but Liverpool signed him for 45m but are paying it in instalments, say 9m a year or something. No add ons, just yearly instalments

Whereas aren’t Chelsea buying Neto for 51m (not in instalments) and then the meagre add ons? Or have I got that wrong?

Not questioning or debating add ons, just I thought the 51m was one payment once the transfer goes through, rather than being spread over 5 years?

My understanding is with Jota (figures may not be correct) but Liverpool signed him for 45m but are paying it in instalments, say 9m a year or something. No add ons, just yearly instalments

Whereas aren’t Chelsea buying Neto for 51m (not in instalments) and then the meagre add ons? Or have I got that wrong?

Not questioning or debating add ons, just I thought the 51m was one payment once the transfer goes through, rather than being spread over 5 years?

They'll be paying in installments. Every transfer is in installments.

No, or at least highly, highly unlikely

Does it really matter whether it's a bag full of pounds notes or in installments? Does it not just show up on the books as 51m either way?

Occasionally you pay up front in full, like we gave Bournemouth and Luton all the money right away for Vokes and Edwards as they were close to going bump and we jumped the queue.

For a player of Neto's value, no chance - Spain is a bit different as a release clause (Nico Williams' is £59m) has to be paid in full and that's why Chelsea came to us instead.

The issue with Jota wasn't the payment terms. We were always getting the money and we could always loan against that if we had to. It was backing Adama over Jota and then pissing the whole lot away on total wank in Fabio and Hoever.

Does it really matter whether it's a bag full of pounds notes or in installments? Does it not just show up on the books as 51m either way?

From an accounting point of view it's £51m in to us. Regardless of when they actually pay it. Then for PSR any remaining amortisation on what you originally paid gets knocked off, for Neto it should be nothing or hardly anything as we signed him over 5 years ago on a 5 year deal.

As a PL club with limited external debt and liabilities to service, getting immediate cash flow in isn't that important (if Everton sell DCL, Pickford or Branthwaite that is a different matter as they keep struggling to keep the lights on and pay the bills for their new ground)

From an accounting point of view it's £51m in to us. Regardless of when they actually pay it. Then for PSR any remaining amortisation on what you originally paid gets knocked off, for Neto it should be nothing or hardly anything as we signed him over 5 years ago on a 5 year deal.

As a PL club with limited external debt and liabilities to service, getting immediate cash flow in isn't that important (if Everton sell DCL, Pickford or Branthwaite that is a different matter as they keep struggling to keep the lights on and pay the bills for their new ground)
Unless you buy players with all the money up front and then offer interest free credit on your big sale like we did with Silva and Jota. That leads to pleading poverty 12 months later

Unless you buy players with all the money up front and then offer interest free credit on your big sale like we did with Silva and Jota. That leads to pleading poverty 12 months later

One of Jeff's red herrings really. Our bank account wasn't empty.

He managed to pay Nuno and his army of staff off and appoint one of the worst managers in PL history with what was in the coffers.

You can only assume they're including Toti as well as Doc. Not ideal when there's a highly rated young lad in Portugal for less than €10m.

Now linked with Galeno from Porto

Back