• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

That’s what you do in a crisis, not after 1 injury. He's also currently first choice ch so that's 2 positions you are weakening
1 injury shouldn’t mean you move a first choice out of there starting position to fill a gap.

Big couple of weeks in the market to make sure the squad is balanced. O’Neil and Hobbs seem to be making the right noises, but noise is just noise unless signings are made.

Toti shouldn’t be more than 3rd/4th choice left back with how we’re looking to play IMO

It depends what you’re asking of the left back.
We will sign a centre half soon.
True, but if you’re first choice is RAN and 2nd choice Toti, they’re both very different players so would require a tactical shift

Just realised I’ve just copied what TT has said. Teach me to read the whole thread!

It's worth repeating though! RAN's role is going to be very complex, needs absolutely bags of tactical and spatial awareness, decision making and technique. Just plopping Toti there seems more than a bit bonkers.

True, but if you’re first choice is RAN and 2nd choice Toti, they’re both very different players so would require a tactical shift
It might mean we build up differently but it’s still a left sided defender tucking in when we have the ball.
Is Toti more trusted to do that role rather than Hugo Bueno? Hobbs and O’Neil think so.

It's obvs not GFFH decision though!

An injury to ran means we can't play 3 CBs

It might mean we build up differently but it’s still a left sided defender tucking in when we have the ball.
Is Toti more trusted to do that role rather than Hugo Bueno? Hobbs and O’Neil think so.
But he occupies a different space than RAN in the defensive set up. It’s not as simple as being a left sided defender tucking In

It's worth repeating though! RAN's role is going to be very complex, needs absolutely bags of tactical and spatial awareness, decision making and technique. Just plopping Toti there seems more than a bit bonkers.
Especially when we can plonk Doc there 😉

Are they not just mitigating lack of spending with something which could be better addressed by actually having a back up to an essential player?
Think this is fair but is it realistic to expect Wolves to have high quality, like for like back up players in every position?

Think this is fair but is it realistic to expect Wolves to have high quality, like for like back up players in every position?
No, but I do expect us to have competent backups to our most essential players - those being 'a striker', Sá, RAN, Dawson, Hwang, Lemina and Neto (last season)

No, but I do expect us to have competent backups to our most essential players - those being 'a striker', Sá, RAN, Dawson, Hwang, Lemina and Neto (last season)
Suppose it depends on your idea of competent.
I'd like to think Dawson is the back up tbh. Guess we're relying on Lima to be Semedos, Traore for Lemina, Bellegarde for Hwang and new for Neto.
Sa is the big drop off to Bentley and no-one for Larsen.
I'm still hopeful for a first choice CB and agree a LB would be in my search.

Ever since reading about Francisco Moura at Famalição, and that he was regarded as one of if not the best LB in Portugal last season, AND that he's available for less than €10m, I'm fully aboard the "why the hell isn't a club renowned for buying young talented Portuguese players not insta buying him as backup to RAN?“ train.

@Lycan - Is he any good? He sounds very attacking and great at passing and crossing, and can play both FB and WB.

Oh and talking of trains I'm still aboard the Morgan Whittaker at Plymouth train. Another one that would cost very little, is in a position we now need (right midfield) and his output for an almost relegated Championship club was fantastic (19G, 8A) .

Back