• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

I think he was one of the targets after we “missed out” on Botman

I really don't get why people have such a lack of appreciation about Max..........dominant in the air even when it was like ping pong to our defence for long spells in games, good at breaking forward to create space, reasonably quick and strong in the tackle.

Ok he isn't quite England class and not a captain but he was pretty good for us and I fear next season when under pressure/ lots of corners, we will conceded a lot more now.

£40m is a good but fair price, I cannot argue with that, but how much of it will we reinvest in a quality replacement? And how easy will it be to get a good quality replacement?

There again I could be talking bollocks................but its just my feeling about watching him.

Well you can apply that to any transfer…

Given I can’t remember him being injured once in his time here, he hasn’t been pounded by minutes since he was 16, he’s a CB, I don’t think the odds of that could get much lower.
No I know that but age has to be a factor for me. You wouldn't give a 31 year old a three year contract. Appearance based extensions etc fair enough, but just seems like a weird length to commit yourself to

I really don't get why people have such a lack of appreciation about Max..........dominant in the air even when it was like ping pong to our defence for long spells in games, good at breaking forward to create space, reasonably quick and strong in the tackle.

Ok he isn't quite England class and not a captain but he was pretty good for us and I fear next season when under pressure/ lots of corners, we will conceded a lot more now.

£40m is a good but fair price, I cannot argue with that, but how much of it will we reinvest in a quality replacement? And how easy will it be to get a good quality replacement?

There again I could be talking bollocks................but its just my feeling about watching him.
Max, dominant?

So who’s our longest serving player(s) now Kilman is off?

No complaints with the player or the sale, but a little institutional knowledge can go a long way

No complaints with the player or the sale, but a little institutional knowledge can go a long way
Doherty if you ignore the bit where we mercifully got rid of him for a while

Neto has been here since 2019, Semedo and Ait-Nouri since 2020

Matt Doherty. I'm sure his knowledge will be vital.

Can't agree with this.

He's alright in the air but he's nowhere near as dominant in that respect as either Boly or Bennett were. Not like he wins everything if a team goes direct against us plus he's very easy to overpower physically. I know it was Haaland and he's a freak but he got absolutely ragdolled at the Etihad last season.

Don't think he's particularly good at bringing the ball out, or passing.

He's quick enough at running in a straight line but he is very slow on the turn, hence not being ever able to play a high line with him in the team. He's no better on the turn than Dawson who is 34 and has never been quick. He reminds me of Berra in that respect.

He's a reasonable tackler but also frequently stands way too far off opponents so never even gets one in, tons of goals like that over the last three years.

Kilman would've been a great 3rd choice CB for us, problem is he's become the 1st choice option. Pleased for the guy getting the move to suit his personal circumstances, but worried his initial impact will actually be quite poor the way they plan to play.

I reckon Christmas latest, the West Ham fans will be on Lops and Kilmans backs, because they aren’t playing the West Ham way

No I know that but age has to be a factor for me. You wouldn't give a 31 year old a three year contract.
Why not? Just an example off the top of my head, Wataru Endo. 4 year deal for a 30 year old. Less than half the fee (and transfer fees less impactful to higher turnover clubs), Liverpool don’t need to worry about him being cherry picked and it’s in a more physically demanding position.

If you’ve spent loads of money, you want to protect your investment.

Appearance based extensions etc fair enough, but just seems like a weird length to commit yourself to
The game has changed. 31 isn’t old anymore. Certainly isn’t as a CB. As I said before, there are pretty much zero negatives to giving him a longer contract, terrible injuries being the only one, there are tons of positives.

We did go on a brilliant run at home with Kilman an integral part of that, but am 100% certain that’s not the style of football the Happy Hammers are hoping/ expecting to see

We did go on a brilliant run at home with Kilman an integral part of that, but am 100% certain that’s not the style of football the Happy Hammers are hoping/ expecting to see
Dawson and Lopetegui were the difference makers there.

Before Christmas we played Kilman with Calamity Nath in a back four and as @Lycan has said they were the worst centre half pairing in the league by miles.

He went on loan to Olympiacos in January (let's hope Podence hasn't been talking shit about us), with a buy option of €18m.

So he should be available for around €20m unless they see it's a PL club who've just got £40m and raise the price. If he was fringe enough to go out on loan in January I doubt they'll play hard ball too much though.

Can't agree with this.

He's alright in the air but he's nowhere near as dominant in that respect as either Boly or Bennett were. Not like he wins everything if a team goes direct against us plus he's very easy to overpower physically. I know it was Haaland and he's a freak but he got absolutely ragdolled at the Etihad last season.

Don't think he's particularly good at bringing the ball out, or passing.

He's quick enough at running in a straight line but he is very slow on the turn, hence not being ever able to play a high line with him in the team. He's no better on the turn than Dawson who is 34 and has never been quick. He reminds me of Berra in that respect.

He's a reasonable tackler but also frequently stands way too far off opponents so never even gets one in, tons of goals like that over the last three years.
I think most would probably agree with you Deutsch.

I agree he doesn't win everything, I just think his qualities are underrated and always have been. Its just the way I see it. I feel that many people slate him for not being vocal (which he isn't), but then this goes against what he does as a player.

I will be pleased if we get better.

Back