• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

It seems like we do have CB targets lined up (which made me confident we were selling Kilman for weeks now).
I would expect a pair of CB's something like:

Beelen + Mosquera with Dawson + Bueno/ Toti as back up.

Toti may be the spare LB cover if RAN and Bueno left with a new LB coming in.

Reactions: b3h
I wonder whether this might be hubris on Lop's part, thinking that he's 'seen enough' to turn him into a £40m(+) player as opposed to believing that's what he's worth now. I wouldn't put it past him.

Elvedi's release clause is €10m. I can absolutely see us signing him and it leaves you the thick end of £30m in change. Which you can then either spend elsewhere or use as your nest egg to mean that you only have to accept an insane bid for one of our actual good players.

Is Elvedi actually any good though and does pairing him with one of our other options allow us to play a 4?

Is Elvedi actually any good though and does pairing him with one of our other options allow us to play a 4?
Has played in a 4 for Gladbach plenty.

He's decent, especially for that money.

We've only been locked into 3 CHs because of Kilman and Coady before him, because they absolutely 100% cannot do it.

If we only signed Elvedi we’d be putting a lot of faith in him being the man we need to allow us to play a back four. I also don’t see him throwing Yerson straight in.

If it's a straight choice between losing one of Kilman, RAN or Neto then the answer is pretty obvious. Sadly, I think one of the other two will also be on the move

Weird transition from Germany to England but we know what Kilman is, Elvedi at least might be better and we won’t move forward by standing still.

Has played in a 4 for Gladbach plenty.

He's decent, especially for that money.

We've only been locked into 3 CHs because of Kilman and Coady before him, because they absolutely 100% cannot do it.
He's worth that money but I don't think he's what we need. We have a similar player in Bueno, we need that leader/ organiser.

2 CBs brand new to the league would be a gamble. Would honestly prefer Beelen, just because he's won things recently and Arne Slot might come calling to take him of our hands for a fat profit!

I have definitely seen social media stuff saying Liverpool have a deal for RAN agreed. I've taken the view that like most social media stuff it's bollocks.

£40m is great money for him. Lovely lad, phenomenal bit of scouting and his development path was excellent. I think that means we don't *have* to sell Neto/RAN/Cunha now. Get rid of some guff, spend £20m on a first team centre half and then £10m on a young striker who looks the part physically compared to the young lads we've tried, and that's job done for me.

It's a really good deal for us. If you told me before the Qatar World Cup when we were sat bottom of the League that we'd sell what I thought then was the worst CB partnership in the League for £60M+ I would've been delighted. Kilman has improved since then but his form still doesn't warrant this kind of fee, he doesn't suit the style of football O'Neil seems to want us to play and it should free us up to correct the mistake of making him our captain as well.

I'm not worried about replacing him. With the exception of the panic deals at the end of last summers window Hobbs and his recruitment team have shown that they can identify quality players and act fast to secure them when they've got the funds to work with.

I think we'll end up replacing Santi as well but it'll depend on someone paying for him first.
I'd hope we could get most or all of our money back from a mid-table La Liga team, he had a reasonable enough reputation there.

I'd also 100% take most or all of our money back for Bellegarde who doesn't fit anywhere and doesn't look very good.

Back