• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes to Mawson. Fabianski I would take but imagine we might aim slightly higher if we are to sign a keeper.

I like Mawson, £20m is a lot but homegrown and some internationals so..probably yes for me

Flappyhandski is not a name you get for no reason. Ruddy is better. Ruddy is a better organiser. Swansea have had two faults. Cant score and cant keep clean sheets.

I am really not interested in relegated clubs hand me downs now. We should be looking better than that. If youre used to losing games youre used to losing full stop. Ohara, Johnson ..... been there done that.

I am really not interested in relegated clubs hand me downs now. We should be looking better than that. If youre used to losing games youre used to losing full stop. Ohara, Johnson ..... been there done that.

Don't think you can take a blanket policy on it. If West Ham had gone down I'd have been more than happy to take Declan Rice and Marko Arnautovic off them.

Flappyhandski is not a name you get for no reason. Ruddy is better. Ruddy is a better organiser. Swansea have had two faults. Cant score and cant keep clean sheets.

No it's a name you get because it rhymes. He's been Swansea's best player for the last two years and will be going to the World Cup with Poland. I can accept an argument we should be aiming higher, I cannot accept one that Ruddy is better. As for not signing players from relegated teams, that's such a lazy narrative. Jonny Evans is lined up for Arsenal. Mawson could go to any of about 14 clubs in the PL, Butland the same, who a fortnight ago you described as "a very good keeper but will be looking at an established premier team" Oh and your facts on O'Hara are incorrect we stayed up the season he came to us (on loan) and was a major component in achieving that.

Don't think it's a simple case of yes or no. If there's no one else then obviously you would take Mawson for £20 million but we don't know who else we have lined up. For an English player though who has looked by far one of Swansea's best players i guess the price isn't bad.

Fabianski has been quality since he signed for Swansea and is actually very underrated now but he's not exactly young and i think Ruddy is good enough still and we are likely to want to upgrade with a younger keeper if we can. Someone will get a quality goalkeeper for a couple of years at £5 million.

I’d be interested in Mawson. As a player I like him and he has room to improve. In a similar style to Ryan Bennett, he might not be the most glamorous name on paper but I believe he’d do a good job in a back three.

No to Fabianski. We can do much better.

Boly £10m
Mawson £20m

Tells you everything about the damage that home-grown status does to the market. If we want to get that quota up then we are going to have to shell out a few quid more than value

I know many of us had the same question about Bennett, but is Mawson good enough with the ball at his feet for what we ask our CBs to do?

I'm not saying he's not, I just genuinely don't know.

Paddy makes a salient point, too, although I'm sure if we hadn't locked in a 10m price for Boly before the season started Porto would be asking for more now.

Mawson is very capable of the switch of play that Coady does from the back. And Boly too. He'd fit right in IMO

I should say, my post isn't denigrating Mawson. It is denigrating the extra cost because of the home grown nonsense.

Flappyhandski is a name he got at Arsenal about 8 years ago, he has developed massively since then. De Gea used to crap, look where he is now. Personally I think it is harsh on Ruddy to immediately upgrade without giving him his chance but Fabianski is a definite upgrade, makes wondersaves and wins points for Swansea on a regular basis, not his fault the defence is poor and the attack nonexistent.

I don't get this argument about not raiding relegated teams' quality players. We shouldn't look at Stoke, for example, as most of their players are crap and Shaquiri is inconsistent and has a poor attitude. But if Southampton had gone down I'd be delighted to take Soares and Bertrand for full-backs. We'll aim higher for sure but Rondon is an upgrade in terms of a striker also, as are Mawson and Fabianski as said.
If we had gone for Scott Dann instead of Roger Johnson I'm not sure this argument would exist. O'Hara wasn't actually owned by a club that had been relegated also as he was just on loan at Pompey from Spurs - or should we just not sign any player that has ever been part of a relegated team?

West Ham went down with David James, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Paolo Di Canio and Jermain Defoe. Stay away peeps!

I've only picked up on the Sporting Portugal news, seen they have agreed to play in the cup final but that many players are still looking into the legality of voiding their contracts. Surprised this doesn't seem to have been mentioned in here?

1f91e8106cac4f20109e2d3c233d1fd1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back