• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went down the road of signing relegated players the last time we were in the Premier League and funnily enough we got relegated. I wouldn’t want anybody from Albion’s squad as something is seriously wrong there. I think Fosun will be aiming much higher anyway.

Exactly this. There may well be the odd player from squads like Palace (Zaha) but would anybody seriously take any Stoke or Albion players knowing what we already know about relegated players mindsets?

Evans is 30 now, not sure if everyone realises that (I thought he was a bit younger than that)

Exactly this. There may well be the odd player from squads like Palace (Zaha) but would anybody seriously take any Stoke or Albion players knowing what we already know about relegated players mindsets?

Shaqiri (shaqiri) perhaps, by far and away the best lower half player for me.

Shaqiri (shaqiri) perhaps, by far and away the best lower half player for me.

Stoke fans aren't over enamoured with him as he turns up when he wants to and then moans at people when they aren't on the same wavelength. Quite a sulky player by all accounts.

He still has his moments but he's been steadily going backwards for a while now. Remember this is a guy who was in the matchday squad for a Champions League final five years ago. Also has a seriously odd body shape for a footballer.

Too many people would wonder wtf that means unfortunately

He still has his moments but he's been steadily going backwards for a while now. Remember this is a guy who was in the matchday squad for a Champions League final five years ago. Also has a seriously odd body shape for a footballer.

designed for falling over a lot perhaps?

A big no to anyone from a relegated squad - the mentality they come down with takes time to resolve as we know to our cost.

Go up & we are shopping in a different market anyway

Not to worry we're not going down that route in a month of sundays. By now people should realise how Fosun are funding us to make money on top as well.

No harm in getting players from relegated teams, there are often some quality players there despite worries about mentality. If we had gotten Scott Dann instead of Johnson would we be worried about that though? I don't think so. Star players in a poor team can often show that despite the trouble they have the roght attitude and are still working hard despite how terrible they have been.

That said only Albion players I would want is Krychowiak and Evans. Nyom is shit, better than Doherty but so are most RBs in the Championship.

Krychowiak isn't Albion's to sell, remember...

He is on crazy money given he's now had two awful seasons and as he's still firmly under contract at PSG, that isn't changing any time soon.

This isn't advocating buying players from Albion, but just because they got relegated doesn't mean they are poor players nor weak mentally. I know Johnson is at the forefront of everyone's mind, but last time we were promoted we signed Doyle and Hahnemann from Reading in our first season they did a good job for us that first year. The next Summer we signed Fletcher and flipped him for double the money two years later.

Doyle and Big Marcus were playoff flops, not relegatees ;)

Yep. Went down in 2008. Then were in a three way battle with us and Blues to go up in 2008/9. We went on an ultra-shit run after Christmas and they both did even worse at the same time.

Think Reading faded so badly that they didn't even finish 3rd and then I think Burnley beat them in the semi-finals.

Yep. Went down in 2008. Then were in a three way battle with us and Blues to go up in 2008/9. We went on an ultra-$#@! run after Christmas and they both did even worse at the same time.

Think Reading faded so badly that they didn't even finish 3rd and then I think Burnley beat them in the semi-finals.

They were really impressive at times that season and we were well beaten at home that September. Then they went on an even worse run than us, lost out on 3rd to Sheffield United and got beaten by the fans' champion Owen Coyle.

A big no to anyone from a relegated squad - the mentality they come down with takes time to resolve as we know to our cost.

Go up & we are shopping in a different market anyway

Granted there are not many players you'd want but are you seriously saying you wouldn't want Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire and Andrew Robertson from last season's relegated sides?

Granted there are not many players you'd want but are you seriously saying you wouldn't want Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire and Andrew Robertson from last season's relegated sides?

Don't think any of them are playing for a relegated team now - and yes that was a somewhat sweeping statement of mine

There are so many whose mentality is gone for the next season & suspect that we can get the equal of the best (& better) elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back