• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed nuts is good as well as experimental361 (I think).

Just not for the defensive bits.

Yeah Ben Mayhew (experimental361) I like because he does EFL stuff rather than just elite stuff like everyone else tends to do.

The other angle on the Pele transfer that you're all missing is that Fosun have been investing heavily in Rio Ave. Even if Benfica do own 50% of his commercial rights, half of £10M, which we can easily afford now, would be huge for a club that size. It's the kind of 'favour' that we were all told to expect when we got into bed with Jorge Mendes.

I suppose it's better to have favors like Pelé than Ola John (who actually didn't look that bad in the few minutes he played for us tbh).

I suppose it's better to have favors like Pelé than Ola John (who actually didn't look that bad in the few minutes he played for us tbh).

I actually thought Ola John looked somewhat dangerous when he came off the bench in that Wigan game but was probably by comparison to how completely shite everyone else was. What a horrible game that was.

The other angle on the Pele transfer that you're all missing is that Fosun have been investing heavily in Rio Ave. Even if Benfica do own 50% of his commercial rights, half of £10M, which we can easily afford now, would be huge for a club that size. It's the kind of 'favour' that we were all told to expect when we got into bed with Jorge Mendes.

Nailed it right there.

Except for one thing: Wolves can easily afford 10M today of course. But what about the financial fair play? If you overpay for 1 player, you are reducing your options on other signings. From a club that just got promoted I dont believe Wolves will be able to spend hundreds of millions of Euros without violating the FFP.

Side note: portuguese newspapers also reporting that Spurs interest. They throw Gelson and Cedric in the mix aswell.

Nailed it right there.

Except for one thing: Wolves can easily afford 10M today of course. But what about the financial fair play? If you overpay for 1 player, you are reducing your options on other signings. From a club that just got promoted I dont believe Wolves will be able to spend hundreds of millions of Euros without violating the FFP.

Side note: portuguese newspapers also reporting that Spurs interest. They throw Gelson and Cedric in the mix aswell.

No FFP in premier league, just rules on amount that can be spent on wages

Nailed it right there.

Gelson Martins from Sporting? I saw him playing for them in the CL and he was absolutely class, very quick.

No FFP in premier league, just rules on amount that can be spent on wages
There is, but the allowed loss is a high enough amount that you can only fall foul of via wages really.

Which is not easy for a promoted club either.
If anything it's much easier, because your player fee amortisation total will be lower than established Prem clubs, and your wage bill will be much lower too. Gives you more headroom to spend big in the first season.

If anything it's much easier, because your player fee amortisation total will be lower than established Prem clubs, and your wage bill will be much lower too. Gives you more headroom to spend big in the first season.

Is that how that special mechanism in England works? If that's the case then yes. But it isn't the way I thought it was.

Transfer fees are spread over the length of the players account (amortisation). I thought it was fairly standard practice everywhere.

It's basic accounting practice. Players are assets and depreciate over time.

A couple of stories popped up today linking us with Mitrovic.

Has done well for Fulham but I'd have tons of worries about his personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back