• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gues: Benfica move is getting him back for 5 and selling to Wolves for 10.

Porto is broke. They could not get him not even for 3M.

Found a fee - €2m.

Fair play, I couldn't find one. I did come across a piece mentioning him around the time Costa was about to be announced and referring to our signings it said 'Wolves will have to move soon as so far they've only signed Andy Lonergan on a free'. How surreal does that shit sound now.

He had a decent season and was linked to Porto and a Benfica return. That's enough for a player price tag to go up like this. Specially when you can get a bid war between those 2.

I don´t remember reading anything linking him with Porto, and if there was that doesn´t make any sense, Benfica owns 50% of the the player, why would they sell him to a rival if they were also interested in his return? Plus Porto doens´t have money to spend at this point so there´s no chance of Porto offering so much for him that made Benfica consider selling his half.

The 10M€ price is still a mystery to me and I don´t believe that´s true until that´s confirmed.

I don´t remember reading anything linking him with Porto, and if there was that doesn´t make any sense, Benfica owns 50% of the the player, why would they sell him to a rival if they were also interested in his return? Plus Porto doens´t have money to spend at this point so there´s no chance of Porto offering so much for him that made Benfica consider selling his half.

The 10M€ price is still a mystery to me and I don´t believe that´s true until that´s confirmed.

Benfica has only economical rights over him (or if you want you can say Benfica and Rio Ave agreed on a 50% fee on a future transfer...it's basically the same). If Rio Ave wanted to put him in Porto they could. Benfica would have 50% of the fee that's all.

But you are right. Porto is broke.

Benfica has only economical rights over him (or if you want you can say Benfica and Rio Ave agreed on a 50% fee on a future transfer...it's basically the same). If Rio Ave wanted to put him in Porto they could. Benfica would have 50% of the fee that's all.

But you are right. Porto is broke.

I know that, but consider the deal by Porto side it doesn´t make sense either.
Why would they want to buy and try to develop a player that Benfica owns 50%, if the player does well and they manage to get a big sale next season they would also be financing a rival.

I don´t think Porto was ever interested in the player, it doesn´t make sense for Benfica nor for Porto, that´s probably just noise to try to increase his market value.

I know that, but consider the deal by Porto side it doesn´t make sense either.
Why would they want to buy and try to develop a player that Benfica owns 50%, if the player does well and they manage to get a big sale next season they would also be financing a rival.

I don´t think Porto was ever interested in the player, it doesn´t make sense for Benfica nor for Porto, that´s probably just noise to try to increase his market value.

Well Benfica would receive the 50% of the move to Porto. From that point on, Benfica would only get that 5% FIFA mechanism fee (he is from Benfica academy). But that would not stop Porto selling him. Just like it won't stop selling Danilo who is also a Benfica academy product. I don't believe in Porto interest either. But the truth is it only takes an article in some crap sports newspaper and voila.

FWIW, here's Pele's report from WhoScored...

Capture.JPG

How he can average a 6.91 at defensive mid while having noted weaknesses of tackling and aerial duels is anyone's guess.

WhoScored's ratings are weird to be fair. And crap.

WhoScored's ratings are weird to be fair. And crap.

Indeed. They had Ower Matt down as the best left back in the league last season because he scored and assisted occasionally. They have no idea how to measure defensive play. He wasn't the best left back in Wolverhampton.

More importantly, what are his FM stats?

Indeed. They had Ower Matt down as the best left back in the league last season because he scored and assisted occasionally. They have no idea how to measure defensive play. He wasn't the best left back in Wolverhampton.
Crossing - Strong

Any better metrics out there?

Asking genuinely, no snark involved.

Defensive metrics are nearly impossible to measure. How do you measure pressing, zonal marking, recovery runs and positional awareness?

Some of the best defenders never win a tackle because they make the attackers make their own mistakes or better still anticipate the ball and get to it first (that wouldn't count as a tackle). Usually high tackling defenders are those that are out of position, see Stearman, Richard.

He also takes Rio Ave's penalties this season. With class I should add.

Any better metrics out there?

Asking genuinely, no snark involved.

Good question. I like Ted Knutson's stuff from StatsBomb, he's american I think! @mixedknuts on twitter. Not quite the same though I guess.

Agree with Johnny, though I think as analytics become more sophisticated we will see better metrics. Never perfect but just to give us another insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back