• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the Blackburn game...

Lots on Twitter about us signing Pele, some quite complimentary comments about him too. €10m ain't much in English football too.

Apart from the Blackburn game...

In an alternate world then we have a proper footballer in the team rather than a no skill prick whose one attribute of running a lot is quickly coming to an end, Jarvis doesn't get moved from where he actually plays to accommodate him and we aren't going to the final day in the first place.

I couldn't stand Stephen Hunt.

There'd be an interesting Venn diagram between Wolves fans who castigated Mick for prioritising effort over ability, and Wolves fans who liked Stephen Hunt.

He was as technical as a BBC Micro. On stupid money here as well.

That's too far, BBC Micro were great in their day. The Raspberry Pi idea came from replicating the Micro.

It's all revisionism, but I don't really remember hardly anyone being happy with Mick's style after promotion.

I don't see the point in signing Mangala as he's broken till December with a bust ACL. Why not just sign him in January when he'll have proven his fitness.

The Mangala links have me completely nonplussed, as weird as it is that he went completely to shit almost as soon as City got him, surely it's been long enough now that if he was going to come back around to his Porto form it would have happened??

To be fair, off that list:

Williamson - was almost fit from his injury. Then got another one
German Phil - the same
Dicko - not injured (either on loan or when we signed him permanently, his main injury came over 18 months after we bought him)
Zyro - not injured (got injured vs Cardiff in his second game, and later on Antony Kay destroyed him with a challenge that would have broken Iron Man)
Boukari - not injured (got injured vs Sheff Wed)

Mea culpa re Phil, but the point about the others (I'm not a complete idiot) was in failing to recover from injury to their earlier/expected level. I.e. you can't be sure you're buying what you think you're buying if you buy someone who is injured.

I was under the impression from the reports that Mangala would miss the rest of this season but be fit for the start of next season?

I was under the impression from the reports that Mangala would miss the rest of this season but be fit for the start of next season?

That's what they're saying. So it will be a while into the season before it's possible to judge how well he's recovered.

I know how good he'll be when he gets back, the answer is "not very".

Thanks for the clarification, I see your point now. Even if he were brilliant (he isn't) then there'd be an inherent risk in signing him. I wouldn't want him for free on a tiny wage, I think he's dreadful.

Please not Mangala, errors all over the place and not a very good footballer

He's going to have to have some powers of recovery to make an ACL recovery time down to 6 months and then be football ready for the season. And that's before you factor in he's a bit shit.

He was absolutely horrendous against us for Man City. Tried to gift us the win. The young lad next to him was far better and i doubt he’s played more than 5 first team games.

About Pele:

1- A Bola is not a worthy source for Benfica deals anymore. For recent years now it has been O Jogo for reasons that you are not interested (crime related).

2- Pele was never a hot prospect. Few years ago he was part of the U-20 team that reached the world cup final (alongside Nelson Oliveira for example) and he was compared to Danilo who was his midfield partner. Danilo went on to fullfil the predictions about him (he was part of the euro 2016 winner squad) but Pele has never even made it to Benfica main squad.

3- After some seasons in Benfica B and loans it seems like Pele was stuck. No improvement whatsoever. However this season he joined Rio Ave (who you might have me heard calling Mendes dumpster) and around a couple of nice players he is doing surprisingly well. If he is worth to Benfica squad? No thanks. Is he worth for an ambitious Wolves who wants premier league top half of the table? Not really. Can he be useful for a Wolves battling against relegation for the first or second season in the premier league? Well likely. Is he worth 10M. Well no but it's Mendes currency (euromendes) we are talking about.

Your negativity hasn't really borne out in the past. Costa is great, Nuno is great, Neves is great... I think we'll be okay if we keep following the advice we've been getting, from Mendes or whoever.

If Nuno wants Pelé then I trust him. On the face of it I don't know if Pelé is better than Saïss but at least then we'd have a direct backup or competitor for that more defensive spot next to Neves. And Pelé isn't represented by Mendes or Gestifute from what I can see.

Also, what Danilo are you talking about? Danilo Pereira?

Don't think my past on this forum has been that distant from the truth.

Also, please refrain the comments on my posts when you clearly don't know what you are talking about .
One thing is who represents the player the other is who owns the footballs rights of the player. Also I'm pretty sure you have no idea who Ulisses Santos is.

And Danilo is Danilo Pereira of course. And the one who would be a massive signing to Wolves.

For the rest of the guys here, I don't think Benfica interest on him is real. Benfica still has 50% of the rights so probably the interest is purely economical. Sign in back from Rio Ave and then try to make a few more Euros with him. Has happened in the past.

You said we were only signing Neves because Porto were skint as some elaborate Mendes money movement scheme and would loan him back out again possibly to Monaco. I'd say that was pretty far from the truth.

Also 3rd party ownership is banned in English football, so there isn't a distinction between economic and football rights if a player comes to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back