• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How anyone could watch Shane Long make a Horlicks of that chance vs Chelsea yesterday (and this is not an uncommon event with him) and think "yep, he's the man to lead the line for us in the Premier League" is beyond me.

He's 31 and has 5 goals in his last 59 league appearances.

"You know that Kevin Doyle of 2013/14?"

"The Irish international striker who lost all goalscoring instinct whatsoever and became involved in a weekly bout of competitive corner flag chasing?"

"Yes"

"I am aware of his work"

"That's you, that is"

:icon_lol:

Marvellous 90s referencing, sir.

I would definately like to see Vinagre signed up, he is only 19 so probably wouldnt be a regular yet but he has some serious potential. Still remember how he skinned Kyle Walker. He may go out on loan and rip up league one.

Vinagre to league 1? WTF? If we sign him, would hope he'd be around the first team.

For loans next year (Nazon, Bright, Ronan etc) we should be looking at higher championship level teams where possible.

Vinagre could play in the Championship. IF we signed him, and IF we subsequently sent him out on loan.

Which brings us to Ronan. Where do we see him going from here? Highly-regarded, but his loan at Portsmouth doesn't seem to have been a success. He's arguably been under-used or played out of position by Ken, going from some accounts.

Where will he fit for for us next season? Another loan, to a Champ side? Could he become an active part of the squad? Or do we think he's going to struggle to make any kind of impact at Wolves now?

If we stick with this system then it's going to be very tough for him here. Out wide we already have a "3 into 2 doesn't go" issue with Costa, Cav and Jota, let alone who else we might sign (and I don't think he's really a wide player anyway, the delivery is superb, everything else doesn't fit). We ask the central midfielders to sit in and we require some serious physicality in there for it all to work.

He's a potentially great option in a 4-3-3 or as a #10. But we aren't likely to go either way.

If we do send him out then it needs to be to a top half Championship team. Loans are something we need to possibly specifically employ someone to work on next season (as Chelsea do), find clubs where our players are actually going to be used properly. Too many are going away and getting nothing at all from the experience.

Which brings us to Ronan. Where do we see him going from here? Highly-regarded, but his loan at Portsmouth doesn't seem to have been a success. He's arguably been under-used or played out of position by Ken, going from some accounts.

Where will he fit for for us next season? Another loan, to a Champ side? Could he become an active part of the squad? Or do we think he's going to struggle to make any kind of impact at Wolves now?

I'm disappointed with how Ronan's loan has gone. Does the blame lie with our old pal KJ? Possibly.

Either way, I suspect Ronan may go back out on loan again next season. Preferably to the Championship.

Nazon has no future here and sadly, I don't think Bright does either.

He's more of a Neves replacement in terms of position, but he'd need someone more defensive alongside him. He gets stuck in but he's very slight which would count against him on a regular basis.

Presumably Marshall will be out the door too. Credit to him as he seems to have gotten his act together at Millwall and has become an important player for them. Think we only signed him for £500k, if I remember right? So we'll likely make a tidy profit on that. Wouldn't be surprised to see another Champ team try to gazump Millwall for him, even.

-edit- re Ronan I was chatting with a Pompey fan the other day and they said they have no idea what his best position is. I would've hoped Kenny would know but maybe it's a situation where Ronan himself really needs to nail down a position/role, rather than being a jack of all trades?

The Duck will get bids from L1 teams and we'll make a bit of money on him. He's now got a career in English football after being a total nobody 18 months ago and someone gets a raw but very decent player at that level. Everyone's happy.

Presumably Marshall will be out the door too. Credit to him as he seems to have gotten his act together at Millwall and has become an important player for them. Think we only signed him for £500k, if I remember right? So we'll likely make a tidy profit on that. Wouldn't be surprised to see another Champ team try to gazump Millwall for him, even.

£1m for Marshall.

Given his goals/assists record since he went there (indeed you can look back to last season and his time here in the team) then we'll be asking £3-4m I suspect. If Millwall don't go up then they can't afford that, someone else can though.

He's more of a Neves replacement in terms of position, but he'd need someone more defensive alongside him. He gets stuck in but he's very slight which would count against him on a regular basis.

I don't see that at all. I think he's more of a Christian Eriksen type player and as DW says will probably make a good #10. If we ever went back to 4-2-3-1 he'd fit well in that system.

If he's going back on loan then I'd like to see more of a Brentford type club. Our choice of loan clubs for our young players has been nothing short of disgraceful over the last few seasons.

I liked the look of Thomas Partey as a DM for Atletico last night. He'd be unlikely to be available or even want to come though, but he looked like N'Diaye-Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back