• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely we're not signing kurzawa, and zinchenko? The latter won't have come here to be first reserve at lwb and 4th into two cm spots

Zinchenko as third-choice CM ahead of Saiss, I would imagine, who I think faces spending a lot of this season on the bench. With Moutinho turning 32 in a month, it's wise to have an extra option in central midfield compared to last year, IMO.

Also makes a lot of sense to have another WB, I don't think Zinchenko is going to be anything like as much intended for LWB as Saiss will end up playing RCB.

I don't know if I'd call it "circumstances"; according to Transfermarkt, at least, he started getting significant time (about 50% of his minutes) at LB starting all the way back in 13/14. I'm not big on pigeonholing players as definitively this position or that position, but I also don't see the point in buying someone who has played in a particular position (or, in this case on a particular side of the pitch) and then messing him about in a different spot almost immediately.
He's playing exactly the same role whether he's on the right or left, if he's comfortable with either foot then it's directly transferable from one side of the pitch to the other. I mentioned before the example of Phil Neville, essentially a career left back at United because of his brother but not sure he ever played a game there for Everton, didn't exactly work out badly for them did it?

Plenty of players move around, wasn't Costa used mainly on the left for Monaco? Jota used centrally for Porto? Coady hadn't played as a sweeper before last summer as far as I'm aware. You say you don't like pigeon holing players into positons yet for some reason you're really determined to do exactly that with a player you barely know anything about.

What I do think we'll see this season is Wolves having a real go in the cup competitions. Fosun clearly want us to be in Europe as quickly as possible & the cups represent a shortcut.

Zinchenko as third-choice CM ahead of Saiss, I would imagine, who I think faces spending a lot of this season on the bench. With Moutinho turning 32 in a month, it's wise to have an extra option in central midfield compared to last year, IMO.
Zinchenko is not coming to be back up to anyone. He's had to have his arm twisted to agree the move, there won't be guarantees, but there will certainly be encouraging noises he'll be first choice, probably as LWB.

What I do think we'll see this season is Wolves having a real go in the cup competitions. Fosun clearly want us to be in Europe as quickly as possible & the cups represent a shortcut.

Excellent point and we should have more quality in depth. Do losing fa cup finalist still qualify if the winners already qualify via league position?

I guess? But everything I've seen has it down as he was equally, if not more, unhappy about being made to play out there - and reviews of his performances at LWB from City fans have read a lot like Wolves fan reviewing Saiss at RCB during pre-season.

Like, I'm skeptical he'd actually be an upgrade at LWB over Vinagre. And I think there may well be something attractive in being told "listen, come here, understudy to Moutinho, in a year, year and a half tops, you'll have taken his place as he leaves for a final big contract out in China."

The whole thing is crazy. Just mad. I know I am just a fan like all of you but this is making me have hands shaking excitement and at the same time I sit there going "this is us, it can't be happening, this doesn't happen to us".

Football, bloody hell.

Zinchenko is not coming to be back up to anyone. He's had to has his arm twisted to agree the move, there won't be guarantees, but there will certainly be encouraging noises he'll be first choice, probably as LWB.

Cancel it, he's been rubbish there according to Alan. Except I saw the games vs Dortmund and Liverpool, he played at LB in the first and in midfield in the second and certainly wasn't rubbish on either occasion. Maybe he was dreadful when they beat Bayern in a game I didn't see, but it all must have gone under the radar of loads of City fans as none of them said he was rubbish either.

Excellent point and we should have more quality in depth. Do losing fa cup finalist still qualify if the winners already qualify via league position?

No they don't, win it or no dice.

See Villa not being in Europe in 2015/16.

For both League and FA cups it get passed down the Premier League table instead.

Zinchenko , moutinho and neves to choose from in a midfield two. Does no one else think it’s potetially a bit lightweight? Not saying I want a brute in there with no ability, just if as predicted we won’t have as much of the ball as last year, could see us abit susceptible?

Business done with Dendoncker and Zinchenko do you know?

Zinchenko agreed terms earlier on today, having main part of medical tomorrow morning.
Dendoncker has been here since late afternoon, I imagine he’ll be signed soon but not heard yet.

Zinchenko , moutinho and neves to choose from in a midfield two. Does no one else think it’s potetially a bit lightweight? Not saying I want a brute in there with no ability, just if as predicted we won’t have as much of the ball as last year, could see us abit susceptible?

Naaah
Look at the quality. We'll pass and move round everyone.

We have Saiss and Dendoncker can play there too we will have lots of options

Zinchenko agreed terms earlier on today, having main part of medical tomorrow morning.
Dendoncker has been here since late afternoon, I imagine he’ll be signed soon but not heard yet.

Neither of those the marque signing then?

Surely the latter two are primarily going to be centre halves/cover for centre halves ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back