• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves are plotting a deadline day swoop for £22m PSG defender Layvin Kurzawa (@mcgrathmike) #WWFC #PSG

Our WB roles are more or less as a wide midfielder a lot of the time so less adjustment required.

We have to forward plan too - the very strong likelihood is that Ruben Neves will not be here for more than the next couple of years, sadly. He's too good.

Regrettably - yes

Unless we do so well in the next couple of years to persuade him that we are the real deal

No he hasn't

Best put Doc back on the left as well, that's where he played well before.

Don't be ridiculous.
He absolutely has.

You can't compare Doherty playing on the left to Jonny playing there, that's just silly. Doherty was passable there, Jonny earned a move to Atletico fucking Madrid on the back of his performances at LB.

Assuming we play the same formation and are genuinely targeting 9-12 rather than 17th then I think we should be looking at 5 new players to come into the first 11. In order of priority:
Centre Forward, Bonatini would be a decent back up for a few games if needed, but not as first choice, I'd happily buy him and spin him for a profit as well though. Afobe, just no. - Jimenez

Left Wing Back or Vinagre, Douglas doesn't give us enough attacking or defensive wise for such a pivotal position and you can't carry players for their set piece delivery. - Zinchenko

Centre Mid, the role N'Daiye is supposed to do, but doesn't have the concentration levels to do so. I think we need a player that can break into the box to play alongside Neves which isn't really Saiss' game - Moutinho, although not the style I described

Right Wing Back, Doherty has surprised everyone this season, but we won't have the ball as often next year, he's improved defensively, but I wouldn't want him being run at too often in the PL and his crossing still isn't very good - Jonny

Right/Left Centre Half, like Doherty Bennett has performed way above the levels I thought he was capable of, but we need to be looking to upgrade. I'd get the best player we can, be they left or right and play Boly on the other side. - Dendoncker

At an average of £15m a pop plus Boly, Jota and Bonatini for a combined £30mish that's your £100m (and some) blown. I wouldn't be averse to a keeper upgrade either, but think Ruddy's experience could be invaluable, so at this stage I'd be happy to go with him. - signed one anyway Patricio QUOTE]

Amended my post from the start of this thread. Not been a bad window has it!

Our WB roles are more or less as a wide midfielder a lot of the time so less adjustment required.

We have to forward plan too - the very strong likelihood is that Ruben Neves will not be here for more than the next couple of years, sadly. He's too good.

That's a hell of a reality but it's the truth unless we get champions league football and start winning trophies. That's a helluva leap.

But it's a ducking lot closer to being capable with these owners and this squad. It's batshit mental. And I am loving it

Assuming we play the same formation and are genuinely targeting 9-12 rather than 17th then I think we should be looking at 5 new players to come into the first 11. In order of priority:
Centre Forward, Bonatini would be a decent back up for a few games if needed, but not as first choice, I'd happily buy him and spin him for a profit as well though. Afobe, just no. - Jimenez

Left Wing Back or Vinagre, Douglas doesn't give us enough attacking or defensive wise for such a pivotal position and you can't carry players for their set piece delivery. - Zinchenko

Centre Mid, the role N'Daiye is supposed to do, but doesn't have the concentration levels to do so. I think we need a player that can break into the box to play alongside Neves which isn't really Saiss' game - Moutinho, although not the style I described

Right Wing Back, Doherty has surprised everyone this season, but we won't have the ball as often next year, he's improved defensively, but I wouldn't want him being run at too often in the PL and his crossing still isn't very good - Jonny

Right/Left Centre Half, like Doherty Bennett has performed way above the levels I thought he was capable of, but we need to be looking to upgrade. I'd get the best player we can, be they left or right and play Boly on the other side. - Dendoncker

At an average of £15m a pop plus Boly, Jota and Bonatini for a combined £30mish that's your £100m (and some) blown. I wouldn't be averse to a keeper upgrade either, but think Ruddy's experience could be invaluable, so at this stage I'd be happy to go with him. - signed one anyway Patricio QUOTE]

Amended my post from the start of this thread. Not been a bad window has it!

You did are officially itk. Change your name immediately to Mendes Jorge pmsl

He absolutely has.

You can't compare Doherty playing on the left to Jonny playing there, that's just dense. Doherty was passable there, Jonny earned a move to Atletico fucking Madrid on the back of his performances at LB.

Jonny is a right back though. Played there consistently when he came through and then switched between there and left back for a while until the last 2 seasons where he played at lb because Celta have Mallo at right back who is captain and when you've got a full back who can play just as easily at left back then you can play him there. Bit like Denis Irwin for Utd.

He absolutely has.

You can't compare Doherty playing on the left to Jonny playing there, that's just silly. Doherty was passable there, Jonny earned a move to Atletico fucking Madrid on the back of his performances at LB.

Well the City fans who were calling for him to stay after he put on a clinic, pulling the strings in midfield might beg to differ and I guess they see a bit more of him than us

Zinchenko all agreed.
Kitolano signed.
Marquee ready to be erected. Hopefully doesn’t get blown over!

Jonny is a right back though. Played there consistently when he came through and then switched between there and left back for a while until the last 2 seasons where he played at lb because Celta have Mallo at right back who is captain and when you've got a full back who can play just as easily at left back then you can play him there. Bit like Denis Irwin for Utd.

He has played triple the games at LB as RB and CB combined. How can you say he isn't a left sided player?

Well the City fans who were calling for him to stay after he put on a clinic, pulling the strings in midfield might beg to differ and I guess they see a bit more of him than us

All I said is he's been really bad playing LWB for them on their tour to America and I stand by that.

I was eager for the window to close but all the rumors today have me amped up again. Dendocker would be brilliant, and if he's not the big announcement, hoo boy...

Glad to be in an earlier time zone so the deals get made all that sooner! when eating lunch tomorrow I'll get to read all the finalized deals made.

edit -- wtf how did i miss barry douglas leaving

He has played triple the games at LB as RB and CB combined. How can you say he isn't a left sided player?

Personally i'd just call him a full back. He came through the ranks as a right back but can play across the back 4/5. Circumstances mean he's played left back for the last 2 seasons and i'd have no issue with him what so ever at rwb/rb if that's where we chose to play him.

Surely we're not signing kurzawa, and zinchenko? The latter won't have come here to be first reserve at lwb and 4th into two cm spots

Personally i'd just call him a full back. He came through the ranks as a right back but can play across the back 4/5. Circumstances mean he's played left back for the last 2 seasons and i'd have no issue with him what so ever at rwb/rb if that's where we chose to play him.

I don't know if I'd call it "circumstances"; according to Transfermarkt, at least, he started getting significant time (about 50% of his minutes) at LB starting all the way back in 13/14. I'm not big on pigeonholing players as definitively this position or that position, but I also don't see the point in buying someone who has played in a particular position (or, in this case on a particular side of the pitch) and then messing him about in a different spot almost immediately.

Does always baffle me why teams always do business so late in the window. I get that because other teams make transfers it frees up other players etc, but would’ve thought talks would’ve been ongoing for ages. Swear the dedonker rumour has only come to light today?

We were in for him a while ago, but he thought he could get a champs league side - that’s not happened so he’s gone for us now times running out. It’s a sensible strategy for him and us.

rumors of them trying to make a deal for a straight Sessengon swap as well

This is a crazy window already. It is mental to only match the level of the mental when we scored in the dying seconds at the shit back in the day. I'm just a bit blown away by what we seem to be trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back