• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Traore has got a lot of good attributes, he can be a game changer and I trust Nuno and his staff to make him a better player than he currently is.

Not sure now. My brothers mate was in the academy at Villa with him IIRC.

Edit. Just checked and as always you are indeed correct. Boro signed him from Villa.

Mark Burke was a digital player in an analogue age.

I think Traore has got a lot of good attributes, he can be a game changer and I trust Nuno and his staff to make him a better player than he currently is.

It's been mentioned before but we have good coaches, not miracle workers. All of his footballing upbringing was at Barcelona so what really can we give him that they didn't, and despite a year of (presumably) trying, we haven't managed to teach Doherty how to cross, or even get close to a reasonable level. What you see with Traore is what you get with him. I don't think it's enough, others - including Nuno, it seems - disagree. I hope he proves me wrong if we sign him.

Mark Burke was a digital player in an analogue age.

It's been mentioned before but we have good coaches, not miracle workers. All of his footballing upbringing was at Barcelona so what really can we give him that they didn't, and despite a year of (presumably) trying, we haven't managed to teach Doherty how to cross, or even get close to a reasonable level. What you see with Traore is what you get with him. I don't think it's enough, others - including Nuno, it seems - disagree. I hope he proves me wrong if we sign him.

He was still only a young lad when he left Barcelona though, he is only 22 now he’s still got development left in him.

Timmy II
Boro boss Tony Pulis on Adama Traore: "I've told him, I think another season with us and he'll get a top six club coming in, not just Premier League clubs. He has to make the decision, listen to those around him, the people he respects."

Pulis going for a Rojo level burn there

I’m repeating myself but the prospect of having him in our counter attacks is quite exciting. Also think he is brighter than given credit for, he has played so far in England in two awful, awful footballing teams. He was superb for Boro second half of season (and effective too). He has limitations but he is a slightly different option that can be very useful for us

I’m repeating myself but the prospect of having him in our counter attacks is quite exciting. Also think he is brighter than given credit for, he has played so far in England in two awful, awful footballing teams. He was superb for Boro second half of season (and effective too). He has limitations but he is a slightly different option that can be very useful for us

We've got 3 skilful and pacey wide players as it is. If I was looking to make a change chasing a game and I'd sooner have a midfielder willing take on players in central areas and Grealish could have done that job for a not too different fee. Whether he'd come to us would have been a different issue.

Timmy II
Boro boss Tony Pulis on Adama Traore: "I've told him, I think another season with us and he'll get a top six club coming in, not just Premier League clubs. He has to make the decision, listen to those around him, the people he respects."

Pulis going for a Rojo level burn there

If we bid the release clause there is basically fuck all Pulis can do bar offer obscene wages.

He was still only a young lad when he left Barcelona though, he is only 22 now he’s still got development left in him.
Just because he's young doesn't mean he's not already playing at his peak.

Hugely excited by Traore.

I watched his performance vs us at the Riverside this afternoon and he caused us all sorts of problems. My memory was he only started causing havoc when we had nine men but he was very effective in the first half too. I'd imagine that performance really turned Nuno's head.

It also negates the need for another striker as it frees Jota to play centrally if we want and still gives us three wide players to select from.

Hugely excited by Traore.

I watched his performance vs us at the Riverside this afternoon and he caused us all sorts of problems. My memory was he only started causing havoc when we had nine men but he was very effective in the first half too. I'd imagine that performance really turned Nuno's head.

It also negates the need for another striker as it frees Jota to play centrally if we want and still gives us three wide players to select from.

Of the games I saw last season, Traore at the Riverside was the best performance by an oppo player. We do have quick players, but we don't have anyone as quick as Traore

Of the games I saw last season, Traore at the Riverside was the best performance by an oppo player. We do have quick players, but we don't have anyone as quick as Traore

Opinions and all that, I really wasn't that impressed. He beat Boly once in the first half I think? When we got reduced to nine he was running at R-Benz at RB. Now I grew to love Benno in a way, but in that context, big deal. He didn't create much and he didn't hurt us much. Everything was in bullshit areas that meant nothing.

In terms of opposition performances vs us then Zohore at Molineux was fantastic and as much as I don't like him on a personal level, Grealish was very good at Villa Park. Also Mitrovic at Craven Cottage.

My recollection is that he was running at us with 11 and we had no answer - neves was then booked after a while for kicking out at him (didn’t take him down as he went past someone else and then Bennett got him), and that set the tone for the two sending offs.

Just because he's young doesn't mean he's not already playing at his peak.

It doesn’t but it also means it’s a bit harsh to say what can we do with him when Barca has their hands on him, I’d say most players aren’t at their peak at 19/20 when he left there.

My recollection is that he was running at us with 11 and we had no answer - neves was then booked after a while for kicking out at him (didn’t take him down as he went past someone else and then Bennett got him), and that set the tone for the two sending offs.

Yeah we fouled him on repeat second half, as you say, which contributed to the sendings off. He didn’t cause us much trouble in the first half because Boro just played long ball and were terrible. When they started getting him on the ball in the second half that’s when the trouble started.

He didn’t create anything particularly but Coady and Boly made goal saving blocks and Boro missed the target multiple times.

For my money we got very lucky against Boro that day. We had absolutely no answer for Adama and were fortunate that hardly any other Boro players showed up in an attacking sense.

That said, I still don't know if he's worth chucking nearly 20m at.

For my money we got very lucky against Boro that day.

In a sense we did as 9 men don't usually hold on like that BUT at 11 v 11 we were the better team and the first red card of the game should have been shown to a Boro player

Pretty much. He caused us a few problems in the first half down our left and then Boly sorted it out. Second half we couldn’t handled him, like you say. Also created Bamford’s goal with a wonderful assist.

For my money we got very lucky against Boro that day. We had absolutely no answer for Adama and were fortunate that hardly any other Boro players showed up in an attacking sense.

That said, I still don't know if he's worth chucking nearly 20m at.

Not sure I agree we were ‘lucky’, we were easily the better team 11v11 and then defended incredibly with 9.

In a sense we did as 9 men don't usually hold on like that BUT at 11 v 11 we were the better team and the first red card of the game should have been shown to a Boro player

Aye. Every chance we go 3-0 up vs 10 men if Attwell isn't an incorrigible berk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back