• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't they like Sporting Lisbon?

Because it's not their name. For years everyone outside Portugal calls them Sporting Lisbon. Even UEFA at the cups draws. However their real name is Sporting Club of Portugal. They even created a hashtag #notsportinglisbon and they use it every time someone calls them that. Just very recently UEFA started call them the right name.

It's a club with many peculiarities...

I usually call them Sporting. Is that ok with them?! :)

No such club as Inter Milan either.

Ah right...As you were, laugh away

I thought the "SLB" was "Sporting" related but I guess it's Benfica??

I'm very insulted at the moment. Totally uncalled for, mate.

As for today's developments, this is hilarious. Can't for the backlash after Benfica nicks a couple players.

Because it's not their name. For years everyone outside Portugal calls them Sporting Lisbon. Even UEFA at the cups draws. However their real name is Sporting Club of Portugal. They even created a hashtag #notsportinglisbon and they use it every time someone calls them that. Just very recently UEFA started call them the right name.

:icon_lol:

I knew a Portuguese guy at Uni who always had this pinched look on his face whenever he had to refer to himself as a Sporting Lisbon fan. This explains it. :icon_lol.

As for today's developments, this is hilarious. Can't for the backlash after Benfica nicks a couple players.
Abola saying Benfica have offered Bruno €4M as a signing on fee.

Hey mate, I know that you're Benfica, SLB just confused me...It's been a long three weeks of work! :icon_lol:

See Glasgow Rangers / Glasgow Celtic for other examples.

Being linked with Rodrigo Battaglia. Another Sporting player so cant see that one happening, personally.

So the Sporting issue is almost as much fun as referring to a club by the Trent as Notts Forest.

I always enjoy watching them explode at that slight.

"Bayern Munich" and "Inter Milan" are the ones that have always baffled me.

Bayern Munich is correct in Anglicised. Bayern Munchen is completely wrong - mangling the two languages together.
I thought Bayern is the German for what we call Bavaria, but Munich is English for München hence what we say being the mangled version and Bayern München being the correct form.

I always thought that if we were to correctly Anglicise it, we'd say "Bavaria Munich".

But Bayern are “Bayern Munchen”. It’s on their logo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back