• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Squad 2015/16

We were trying to sign Zyro to replace Sako both last summer and this summer. For whatever reason it hasn't happened though.

Yet why spunk money on Coady when you have four or five others capable of doing the same role, most of them young and in development.

Obviously, whoever bought Coady didn't agree with you, and who are these 'four or five others capable of the same role'?

Deslandes is very highly thought of by the coaching staff. I think he is Golbourne's back up.

I've not seen the lad, but hope he can come up to expectation when required.

I thought Ben O'Hanlon was U21 LB and to be one of the next to step up to the first team?

I don't think Ken likes O'Hanlon for whatever reason. Not to say he won't go on somewhere else and make a success of it, look at George Friend.

Saville, Price, Evans and McDonald, possibly Rowe.

Saville and Evans aren't defensive midfielders and not good enough at the moment IMO, and KJ wants McDonald freed up to be more creative.

Price I'd agree with but feel he does not provide enough cover for the back four, hence my previous worry about our defending for next season. I'm hoping Coady will fill that gap this coming season.

I don't think Coady is particularly good, personally I think it's a pretty poor signing but he's clearly been bought with a purpose in mind, Ken doesn't like McDonald and Price as a two.

Everything I've seen and heard of Coady has been positive. I'm not sure where this idea that he's just a defensive midfielder has come from though, that's not what fans of his old clubs have said about him and it's not how he or Ken have described him either.

Ikeme, McCarey, Doherty, Iorfa, Stearman, Ebanks-Landell, Hause, Golbourne, Rowe, Coady, Henry, McDonald, Price, Edwards, Van La Parra, Graham, Dicko, Afobe, Reid.

The squad for tonight's game looks very much like the first choice squad with maybe Saville and Wallace instead of Graham and Reid. Compared to the start of last season we have the additions of those in bold which is a nice mix of our development squad and purchases. There is no point judging Coady yet but no doubts about Afobe's quality. We have lost Sako and there is no chance of us replacing a player of his quality on a like for like basis. As Jackett has always said he prefers his squad size about 20 there isn't much room there unless players are shipped out. We have 6 or 7 players who are competing for defensive roles and only 2 out and out forwards so the problem is not so much the quality but the balance particularly if injuries hit. That said, the hardest position to fill is the forward position - good ones aren't available so for a team like us we are going to ave to go down the route Derby, Boro etc travelled last year and rely on the loan market which would explain the lack of movement because Premier League teams won't be rushing to send out players on loan until they have finalised their own business.

I still think we are only a couple of players short - a decent wide player and one up front and if it takes until the end of the transfer window then so be it.

Ikeme, McCarey, Doherty, Iorfa, Stearman, Ebanks-Landell, Hause, Golbourne, Rowe, Coady, Henry, McDonald, Price, Edwards, Van La Parra, Graham, Dicko, Afobe, Reid.

The squad for tonight's game looks very much like the first choice squad with maybe Saville and Wallace instead of Graham and Reid. Compared to the start of last season we have the additions of those in bold which is a nice mix of our development squad and purchases. There is no point judging Coady yet but no doubts about Afobe's quality. We have lost Sako and there is no chance of us replacing a player of his quality on a like for like basis. As Jackett has always said he prefers his squad size about 20 there isn't much room there unless players are shipped out. We have 6 or 7 players who are competing for defensive roles and only 2 out and out forwards so the problem is not so much the quality but the balance particularly if injuries hit. That said, the hardest position to fill is the forward position - good ones aren't available so for a team like us we are going to ave to go down the route Derby, Boro etc travelled last year and rely on the loan market which would explain the lack of movement because Premier League teams won't be rushing to send out players on loan until they have finalised their own business.

I still think we are only a couple of players short - a decent wide player and one up front and if it takes until the end of the transfer window then so be it.

The decent wide player could be Graham - i doubt he joined us to play in our U21s. We definitely need back up for the forwards, but anyone likely to come and sit on the bench is unlikely to be good enough.

Our defensive numbers are perfect. Nicely balanced with options in the youth squad should it be necessary.

No Evans in there - loan move on the verge? I hope so.

Add Batth to that squad and the defence looks OK.

There's not many academy players getting a chance in the top five clubs, we have to look at those clubs and those players.

I agree with this completely and hope this is one of the reasons for our lack of recruitment. The champs league teams take their prospects with them on tour to check their development with the first team squad (and to make up the numbers in their display games).

Once back from those tours they know who will be around the first team, who will be loaned out and who can be sold - I'd hope we have an eye on some of the prospects who aren't quite good enough for Man Utd/arsenal/Chelsea/Man city but definitely good enough for us.

Plus, if we've got a deal in place to sign someone like James Wilson on a season long loan, LVG might want to wait until after he's signed a replacement for RVP & Falcao before he lets him go.

As a stark illustration of our need for a left midfielder, any left midfielder, Edwards is currently playing out there in a 4-4-2 in the friendly against Villa.

Ew.

Updated with the recent arrivals and departures.

The club have finally got round to updating the players profiles on the OS too.

How we could look in the new season. a few could be tinkered with on the bench. Graham, Rowe, Doherty. Not a bad bench. Few plan B's on there.

00224470f6752839c8e5873258171dae.jpg

d95279492229ad1e7a073c651763a6af.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mcdonald should be in the squad. Not wallace

How we could look in the new season. a few could be tinkered with on the bench. Graham, Rowe, Doherty. Not a bad bench. Few plan B's on there.

85788ed888462f1037b5560317c03547.jpg

d95279492229ad1e7a073c651763a6af.jpg

Wallace is doing overtime - on the pitch & bench at the same time!

Assume its meant to be McDonald starting

Haha. Yes. Got in there before you. Correcting now. Might stick a keeper in too

dcc7a0ca438ce632b74173a37f5d18d7.jpg
120faa5b3971e53d6d2b3404a6d3ca62.jpg

Back