• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Squad 2015/16

He's 6 foot 3 I think. Unit.

If we're still in this shite league in 12 months then he won't be here. But the Championship is better ya nor.

Ok i'll take the bait, it's not about the Championship being better (well not for me anyway), in my case it's always been about not particularly enjoying watching Wolves play in the Premier League.

But you would like to see Wolves keep hold of their best players, correct?

That can't happen in this league.

If incoming transfer funds are used to buy new players for Wolves surely the whole team improves. as long as the pattern and style of play improves year on year the division will look after itself. Wolves dont sell cheap.

Money isn't the issue in replacing Sako though and it wouldn't be in replacing Iorfa, just as it wasn't in replacing Robbie Keane or Joleon Lescott. If you stay outside the top flight and end up having to sell those players you cannot replace them like for like even if you have unlimited money.

Southampton are now arguably a safe Premier League side, it hasn't stopped them losing some of their best Players, practically all Clubs are selling Clubs, good players will leave eventually irrespective of the League.

Money isn't the issue in replacing Sako though and it wouldn't be in replacing Iorfa, just as it wasn't in replacing Robbie Keane or Joleon Lescott. If you stay outside the top flight and end up having to sell those players you cannot replace them like for like even if you have unlimited money.
Yet if you reinvest well you should have sufficient funds to improve the squad therefore having more chance of promotion.
Wolves lost their advantage when relegated because they didn't have the recruitment staff in place to invest correctly and spunked the money on utter carp.

Yet if you reinvest well you should have sufficient funds to improve the squad therefore having more chance of promotion.
Wolves lost their advantage when relegated because they didn't have the recruitment staff in place to invest correctly and spunked the money on utter carp.

Indeed.

Look at Swansea, seem to get their prize assets stripped away pretty regularly but still seem to move forward, almost seamlessly, with replacements bought in using those funds.

Southampton look to be heading that way too, even Burnley have had reasonable success in doing so since Fletcher>Austin>Ings.

Indeed.

Look at Swansea, seem to get their prize assets stripped away pretty regularly but still seem to move forward, almost seamlessly, with replacements bought in using those funds.

Southampton look to be heading that way too, even Burnley have had reasonable success in doing so since Fletcher>Austin>Ings.

18 months ago you'd have said the same about Dortmund but eventually it comes to an end. At some point someone will buy a couple of duds and you end up looking a right mug.

I'd rather just keep the top class players, if Afobe left tomorrow I don't think we'd get close to replacing him.

18 months ago you'd have said the same about Dortmund but eventually it comes to an end. At some point someone will buy a couple of duds and you end up looking a right mug.

I'd rather just keep the top class players, if Afobe left tomorrow I don't think we'd get close to replacing him.

Its rare clubs get the opportunity to sign the likes of Afobe, you look at the Arsenal squad for this season and think he would be perfect as their back up striker. Perhaps you have to go the Bamford route and hope you can keep doing a deal for his kind when promoted.
There's not many academy players getting a chance in the top five clubs, we have to look at those clubs and those players.

That happens at all levels though, United have been a relative horrorshow by their standards in recent years, both Milan clubs have fallen steeply in the last couple of years. No-one is completely immune from it, as a lower club Wolves have to be more inclined for change I feel, they're always going to be something of a stepping stone no matter what level they're at as they're never going to be at the top of the tree, or at least extremely unlikely to be. So what's the use in having the mindset of well we've got Afobe, Dicko, Iorfa, or whoever the club happens to cherish at any given time, so we'll base everything around Wolves developing to match their ambitions and hope we never have to replace them, surely it'd be better to face facts, realise that even if Wolves get promoted and compete at a higher level there's still a high likelihood that anyone who does really well will get poached. Then you can develop a strategy which enables you to replace those players as and when it happens, much like seems to be happening at Southampton, Swansea and as you mentioned Dortmund had nailed for a good while.

Obviously there will be times you struggle to make it work, like Dortmund last season, but it still seems a better position to be in than Wolves are now, sat twiddling their thumbs waiting for a replacement for Sako, who's departure they could've planned for 12 months ago. There seems to be very, very little forethought at Wolves.

But we have a chance of keeping those players if we're in the PL, we have no chance in the medium term while we're not. That was all I was saying.

We haven't got the recruitment staff in place now, either and it shows.

I agree with what people on here are saying about our shortage in certain positions, left mid. and a forward, but think we are also short at Left Back. It was only a few days ago we were discussing the long term injury problem that Golbourne is suffering from and while we have short-term cover in Rowe and Hause, they are not the answer long-term if we wish promotion.

I like the squad we have and feel that we can defend better now than last season, as long as Coady is up to snuff, and feel we will do well in the Championship.

However, it's not 'Carling' is it?

Deslandes is very highly thought of by the coaching staff. I think he is Golbourne's back up.

We haven't got the recruitment staff in place now, either and it shows.

I agree with what people on here are saying about our shortage in certain positions, left mid. and a forward, but think we are also short at Left Back. It was only a few days ago we were discussing the long term injury problem that Golbourne is suffering from and while we have short-term cover in Rowe and Hause, they are not the answer long-term if we wish promotion.

I like the squad we have and feel that we can defend better now than last season, as long as Coady is up to snuff, and feel we will do well in the Championship.

However, it's not 'Carling' is it?

Yet why spunk money on Coady when you have four or five others capable of doing the same role, most of them young and in development.

I'm not arguing it as a point of staying in the Championship and endlessly cycle these players over in the early stages of their development, I just think it's a wider approach that Wolves could do far, far better with.

Just seems like Wolves are very naive, you'd think with Sako in the last year of his contract they'd have been looking at replacements as the number 1 priority right from last summer in case Wolves didn't get promoted but it seems more like they put all their eggs in the promotion basket and they found themselves up shit creek in May when it didn't happen and Bakary predictably said his goodbyes. Can imagine the same would happen again next summer if Wolves were to fail to gain promotion once again, say Afobe attracts interest from a PL club, would Wolves have any replacements lined up in advance as other clubs seem to have?

Deslandes is very highly thought of by the coaching staff. I think he is Golbourne's back up.
I would have taken Reece James from Man Utd, less of a transfer risk than the French lad, a player who has already proved he can handle Championship football and should develop into a good player.

Back