• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Squad 2015/16

Imbalanced is definitely the word. More defenders than we know what to do with, far too many central midfielders, nothing out wide and no back up to the two strikers (who to be fair, I wouldn't swap for anyone else in the league).

I think we're pretty good in defence. The first choice back 5 is as good as any in this league. The only problems I can foresee would be an injury to Iorfa or EEL being unsatisfied with being just a back up at 22. EEL should really be kicking on and starting every week at this stage in his career, he's not even made 50 appearances yet and most of them will have been as a sub.

A back up striker is clearly a priority. If Ken decides that we don't need a left winger as Graham/Hunte/Ronan are ready for first team action then I'd be okay with that but I'd appreciate some clarity from the club on that point. If we're not going to sign a left winger I'd rather know now so we don't have to deal with all the transfer window shite and get on with our season.

I'd happily go into the season with the following:

Ikeme, McCarey, Flatt

Iorfa, Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Hause, EEL, Golbourne

McDonald, Coady, Price, Edwards, Rowe, Wallace, VLP, Henry, NEW LW

Afobe, Dicko, NEW FW

Saville and Evans need to find loan moves along with a few of the U21's such as Ismail, Eusebio, Carter etc.

I'll be happy with the make up of the squad if we can just add those two new players in. I don't think we really need more.

Unless Wilson/bright are seen as challengers for the first team I think we need two more forwards

One striker is ok for me. Vokes started four games in 08/09 as fourth choice, if the kids at the club can't manage that then they shouldn't be here.

Hunt plays football like a dog chasing a balloon.

Hunt only came into the equation as a comparison with Boukari. Hunt at least appeared to give a fuck and did appear when required even if he was not much cop when he did (though the goal v Blackburn probably reimbursed us for whatever he cost us).

Would rather that than someone who has drained a fair bit of cash from the club without appearing to give much effort back

Hunt plays football like a dog chasing a balloon.

I think Dave Edwards is a better footballer than Stephen Hunt, which speaks volumes.

Genuinely in my bottom 10 Wolves signings, so stupid. Injured, not been any good for years, all legs and no talent, plays in the same position as one of our best players, no resale value, silly wages, yes please.

One striker is ok for me. Vokes started four games in 08/09 as fourth choice, if the kids at the club can't manage that then they shouldn't be here.

Would they score the 8 (?) goals that he provided though? He was very useful despite limited starts he had that season

Vokes scored six that season. He was very useful but we must have faith in the likes of Wilson or they may as well not bother. We fucked McAlinden over and I don't want Leon II blocking the next batch.

True. Both sound like they are rated within the club so best not to stifle their talent.

I'd happily go into the season with the following:

Ikeme, McCarey, Flatt

Iorfa, Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Hause, EEL, Golbourne

McDonald, Coady, Price, Edwards, Rowe, Wallace, VLP, Henry, NEW LW

Afobe, Dicko, NEW FW

Saville and Evans need to find loan moves along with a few of the U21's such as Ismail, Eusebio, Carter etc.

I'll be happy with the make up of the squad if we can just add those two new players in. I don't think we really need more.

This gents is a mid table squad at best..... if the best players stay fit. without additions. KJ looks to be as frustrated as many on here. And dont give me pant wetting or moaning its been a pretty dull close season backed up by no inspirational signings and Sako about to join the baggies. If that happens his popularity on here should plummet. Please give me more reasons to be cheerful ffs. We dont have enough creativity, we look defensive and if either striker gets injured we is fooked....oh and the new system is not an improvement on the old system. Look at who we play in August! Surely its a month to hit the ground running and give a statement of intent? Currently I cant see 7 points on the board by sept. Ag\ain I hope I am wrong and that strength will come...... but who and when?

Worried we're going to go narrow and involve Rowe on left. He's not a game changer for me and a very conservative option. Didn't think Graham was as great (at Shrewsbury) as some reports made out either, although he had little to hit in the middle.

No goals in side other than front two unless Wallace offers a bit of "magic" but it's an unknown and a big step up for him.

Not sure about back four either as it stands [with Baath injured], I think Iorfa has to play at CH but want him at FB as well and if he plays there [CH], I don't yet think Haus is ready.

8th to 12th with this squad. 10th to 18th if injury to either of front two.

Tommy Rowe is this generation's Carl Robinson. Without the goals.

O
Worried we're going to go narrow and involve Rowe on left. He's not a game changer for me and a very conservative option. Didn't think Graham was as great (at Shrewsbury) as some reports made out either, although he had little to hit in the middle.

No goals in side other than front two unless Wallace offers a bit of "magic" but it's an unknown and a big step up for him.

Not sure about back four either as it stands [with Baath injured], I think Iorfa has to play at CH but want him at FB as well and if he plays there [CH], I don't yet think Haus is ready.

8th to 12th with this squad. 10th to 18th if injury to either of front two.

Batth is an average lumper, centre half. No real pace and won't be missed. Harsh? I'd rather have the pace of Stears and EEL or Hause with Iorfa right back and Golbourne left back

Looking at the squad KJ cannot be happy with that at all, as has been said totally unbalanced and a lack of width on the left.
Cannot for the life of me think that this will be the squad that takes us to January.
Sako going to WBA will only exacerbate the discontent amongst some fans.
If the season starts of poorly with no further additions I can see home games becoming quite poisoness especially with the Kev Mac affair still not resolved.

The trouble is we have a squad of only four or five players, or types of player, and then multiples of each.

For a holding, ball retaining, non scoring midfielder read McDonald, Price, Evans, Rowe, Saville, Coady etc.
For a young, athletic CH/FB read EEB, Haus, Iorfa, Hayden
For a pacy, goalscorer Dicko or Afobe.

We have no striker cover or alternative 'type', no wide player on the left, no midfielder with a goal threat (barring the occasional Edwards purple patch, although 1 in 10 is hardly doing that job) and no leader.

The squad has numbers, but half do the same job.

O

Batth is an average lumper, centre half. No real pace and won't be missed. Harsh? I'd rather have the pace of Stears and EEL or Hause with Iorfa right back and Golbourne left back

Agreed.

I've always liked a whole hearted player and I'm prepared to give them more leeway as a result. I just don't think Baath's progressed over the last 12 months and can't believe the opposition don't target and isolate him more often.

Perhaps he's better than I'm giving him credit for and he doesn't allow this to happen, because when he does it normally costs us.

O

Baths ball distribution leaves a lot to be desired I know sometimes under pressure you have to do the simple thing but his passing is wayward more often than not.

Jason Mamford likened being the next Labour leader after Miliband to being the next GP after Harold Shipman... The same can apply to centre half at Wolves after Roger. Add young local lad to the mix and you have all the ingredients to overhype a player to the moon and back... If you make the slightest observation about him you're on par with a granny mugger to some. For me he will make himself a career at Championship level occasionally getting taken apart by the real quality strikers in this league but he won't be a stand out championship defender and would be an utter car wreck upstairs...

O

Didn't have the courage to say it myself but I fully agree, at this point I'd have EEL or Hause instead of Batth.

Such a move would surely be wildly unpopular with the general folk, though.

Back